Mariners Hold off Admirals for 4-2 Victory
NORFOLK, VA - Former Admiral Greg Chase recorded a goal and an assist to help pace the Maine Mariners to a 4-2 victory over the Norfolk Admirals Saturday night at Scope.
Norfolk once again opened up the scoring, this time halfway through the first period. Connor Hurley accepted a pass just inside the slot and delivered a shot that clipped low off the shortside post and banked in behind Maine netminder Hannu Toivonen to put the Admirals in front 1-0.
Moments later, the Mariners evened up the game on a wrap-around attempt by forward Terrance Wallin. Wallin collected the puck behind the Norfolk net and carried it to the backside of the crease on the backhand. Wallin flipped a backhand shot that skimmed the pads of Admirals goaltender Ty Reichenbach and angled into the net for the tying tally.
Just 2:40 into the second period, the Mariners received a go-ahead tally from Dwyer Tschantz that was later answered by a Darik Angeli power play snipe nearly 12 minutes later. Angeli's shot from a tough angle low at the right wing circle, clipped high into the far corner of the net to put the score at 2-2.
However, just over a minute later, former Admiral Greg Chase picked up a loose puck on the side of the net and carried it to just above the crease. Chase quickly shoved a shot into the back of the Norfolk net to put Maine back out in front 3-2 after two periods of play.
Maine added an insurance marker from Dillan Fox at 7:29 of the third period. Fox picked up a rebound from a Terrance Wallin shot and curled the puck into the net from the top of the crease to put the Mariners ahead by two.
Norfolk posted nine shots in the final frame while attempting numerous other shots, but the Mariners blocked several quality attempts by the Norfolk shooters to hold onto for the 4-2 victory.
Toivonen was sound, stopping 30 of 32 shots, while Reichenbach takes the loss allowing four goals on 36 shots faced while adding his fifth assist of the season. Chase, Fox and Wallin each finished with a goal and an assist in the contest.
The Admirals will hit the road for a key four-game road trip next week. The trip opens on Tuesday with a 7:00 p.m. meeting with the South Carolina Stingrays.
Upcoming Home Games & Promotions
Friday, March 1, vs. Reading, 7:00 p.m.
Saturday, March 2, vs. Reading, 7:00 p.m. Nickelodeon Double Dare Night and Pucks & Paws night. Bring your dog to the game. The Admirals will be wearing special Double Dare themed jerseys.
Admirals Ticket Information
Single Game Tickets may be purchased at the Scope Box Office, or online at
Discounted Group Tickets: Bring your group of 10 or more to a game at a discounted price! Group tickets are available for all home games. Fundraising opportunities are also available.
2018-19 Ticket Packages are Currently on Sale! The Admirals offer flexible partial plans that will best fit your schedule and budget!
For more information regarding ticket options, or Norfolk Admirals Hockey, visit NorfolkAdmirals.com or call the Admirals office at (757) 640-1212!
Images from this story
Norfolk Admirals vs. the Maine Mariners
(Sarah Hobday Photography)
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from February 16, 2019
- Steelheads Force Overtime, Fall 3-2 to Rapid City - Idaho Steelheads
- Mavs Pick up Road Win in Shutout of Utah, 3-0 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Fuel Snap Losing Skid with Shutout Victory in Wichita - Indy Fuel
- Surge in Third Period Not Enough in 4-3 Setback to Manchester - Florida Everblades
- Royals Smack Allen, 5-3 - Reading Royals
- Five-Goal First Leads Cyclones to Two-Game Sweep of Toledo - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Fuel Blank Thunder in Front of 7,000-Plus - Wichita Thunder
- Boots Makes 47 Saves in 1-0 Road Win in Tulsa - Worcester Railers HC
- Railers Blank Oilers 1-0 - Tulsa Oilers
- Clark's Third Period Strike Lifts IceMen over Rays - South Carolina Stingrays
- Mariners Hold off Admirals for 4-2 Victory - Norfolk Admirals
- Four Unanswered Put K-Wings Past Thunder 4-1 - Kalamazoo Wings
- Win Streak Snapped with 4-1 Loss to Kalamazoo - Adirondack Thunder
- Marcoux Helps Brampton to Weekend Split - Wheeling Nailers
- Monarchs Pour on Four Second-Period Goals in 4-3 Win - Manchester Monarchs
- Mariners Win Fourth in a Row, Sweep Admirals in Norfolk - Maine Mariners
- ECHL Announces Fines - ECHL
- Everblades Close out Homestand with Series Finale against Manchester - Florida Everblades
- Blue Jackets Send Netminder Kivlenieks to Kalamazoo - Kalamazoo Wings
- ECHL Transactions - February 16 - ECHL
- Game Preview: Mariners at Admirals, February 16, 2019 - Norfolk Admirals
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Toledo - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Nailers vs. Beast Game Day Snap Shot, February 16 - Wheeling Nailers
- Game Day: Royals at Allen Looking for Fourth Series Win - Reading Royals
- Game Day: K-Wings Welcome Thunder to Town on Stranger Wings Night - Kalamazoo Wings
- Americans Third Period Meltdown Leads to Worcester Victory - Allen Americans
- Steelheads Hold off Rush in 2-1 Win for Sellout Crowd - Idaho Steelheads
- Grizzlies Insider Adam Turner on 4-3 Overtime Win - Utah Grizzlies
- Grizzlies Win 4-3 on Gage Ausmus Overtime Game Winner - Utah Grizzlies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.