Mavs Explode against West's Top Team, Defeat Rapid City 10-1
INDEPENDENCE, Mo. - The Kansas City Mavericks defeated the Rapid City Rush by a score of 10-1 Saturday night at Silverstein Eye Centers Arena. The Mavericks had eight players register multipoint performances en route to their biggest offensive outburst of the young season. Forward Tad Kozun and defenseman Kevin McKernan led the way for KC with a goal and three assists each.
Rookie defenseman Zach Osburn kicked off the scoring 2:57 into regulation, slapping home a shot from the high slot to give Kansas City a 1-0 lead. Forward Michael Parks was given the assist on the goal. Kansas City defensemen kept the scoring going, as blueliner Kevin McKernan doubled the Mavs lead at the 9:23 mark of the period. Forwards David Dziurzynski and Loren Ulett assisted on the goal. The Mavericks continued to pour on the first period goals at the 15:02 mark, when rookie forward Bryan Lemos stuffed home a rebound to push the first period score to 3-0. Forwards Ryan Van Stralen and Tad Kozun picked up the helpers on the goal. The home squad dominated the shot total in the period as well, outshooting the Rush 16-6 in the period.
Rapid City dug into the Mavs lead 58 seconds into the second period, getting a goal from Peter Quenneville. The Mavericks then rattled off two more goals in the second period from Ryan Van Stralen and Bryan Lemos.
The Mavericks exploded for five goals in the third period en route to a 10-1 victory over the ECHL Western Conference's top team. The Mavericks had eight players with multipoint performances on the evening, led by forward Tad Kozun and defenseman Kevin McKernan who had one goal and three assists each. Mavericks goaltender Nick Schneider stopped 25 of 26 shots by Rapid City en route to his sixth win of the season.
This Tuesday, the Mavericks will then open their doors to thousands of students from around the region for a special 10:35 a.m. faceoff against the Allen Americans for the annual Kids Day game. It's a Red Robin Two-For-Tuesday and fans can get two tickets for the price of one, despite the special faceoff time.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from November 16, 2019
- Mavs Explode against West's Top Team, Defeat Rapid City 10-1 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Kasimir Kaskisuo Makes NHL Debut - Orlando Solar Bears
- Fucale, Solar Bears Blank IceMen in 3-0 Victory - Orlando Solar Bears
- Steelheads Late Goal Helps to Earn Point in 4-3 Shootout Loss to Oilers - Idaho Steelheads
- Two for Tonge: 'Blades Top Gladiators for Third Straight Win - Florida Everblades
- Fuel Come up Short to the Swap Rabbits in Greenville - Indy Fuel
- K-Wings Defeat Grizzlies 3-2 - Utah Grizzlies
- Schultz Reaches Milestone in Dominating Offensive Performance - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Greenville Outlasts Indy Behind Helvig's 42 Saves - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Glads Chomped by 'Blades in First Meeting - Atlanta Gladiators
- K-Wings Snap Skid with Win over Grizzlies - Kalamazoo Wings
- Stingrays Stay Hot, Roll Past Admirals 6-2 - South Carolina Stingrays
- Largest Crowd of Season Witnesses Historic 1-0 OT Win vs. Wheeling - Reading Royals
- Five Unanswered Goals Carry Stingrays Past Admirals - Norfolk Admirals
- Ruby Helps Nailers Earn Point in Reading - Wheeling Nailers
- Walleye Draw a Blank against Newfoundland - Toledo Walleye
- Cormier's 25 Save Shutout Halts Mariners Win Streak - Adirondack Thunder
- Cormier Shuts Door on Mariners - Maine Mariners
- Growlers Shutout the Walleye 2-0 - Newfoundland Growlers
- Admirals Look to Reverse Course, Snap out of Nine-Game Skid - Norfolk Admirals
- ECHL Transactions - November 16 - ECHL
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at IceMen - Orlando Solar Bears
- Sorenson Recalled to Utica - Kalamazoo Wings
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Ft. Wayne Komets - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Solar Bears Signs Rich Boyd - Orlando Solar Bears
- Growlers Sign Mike Crocock to ECHL Contract - Newfoundland Growlers
- Game Notes: at Kansas City - Rapid City Rush
- Royals Tied for ECHL-Best 20 Points, Start Homestand - Reading Royals
- Brad Barone Stars in 2-1 Grizzlies Win - Utah Grizzlies
- Despite Late Surge, Oilers Fall 5-4 to Rapid City - Tulsa Oilers
- Rush Avoid Late Scare in Win against Oilers - Rapid City Rush
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Kansas City Mavericks Stories
- Mavericks Collect 4,717 Stuffed Toys from Annual Teddy Bear Toss
- Mavs Shutout for First Time All Season, Lose 4-0 to Indy
- Mavs Monday: KC Continues to Roll with Winning Weekend
- Mavs Finish Three-In-Three Weekend with Loss in Wichita
- Mavericks Extend Winning Streak to Four with Commanding 5-1 Win over Fort Wayne