Steelheads Late Goal Helps to Earn Point in 4-3 Shootout Loss to Oilers
TULSA, Okla. - The Idaho Steelheads (8-3-4) scored with four seconds left in regulation to force extra time and pick up one point in a 4-3 shootout loss to the Tulsa Oilers (7-9-1) on Saturday night from BOK Center.
The Oilers gained the first lead of the series at 3:15 of the first period when forward Charlie Sampair followed up his first shot with a backhanded attempt on a rebound from the right circle, snagging the first lead at 1-0. On the first power play of the game, the Steelheads worked in transition to set up a net front play. Forwards Zack Andrusiak and Matt Lippa set up forward Will Merchant for a one-time direction toward the net at 7:29 to tie the game, 1-1.
The back-and-forth continued in the second period starting with Oilers forward Danny Moynihan poking in a loose puck in a net front scramble at 5:01 to edge ahead again, 2-1. The forecheck pressure of Steelheads forward Joe Basaraba opened up forward Anthony Nellis for a one-time shot in the slot at 9:02 that tied the game again at 2-2.
The Oilers were awarded their fourth-straight power play on the game, and they cashed in at 8:37 of the third period on a centering pass to defenseman Josh Wesley to re-gain the lead at 3-2. The Steelheads pressed in the final two minutes, and with the extra attacker on the ice and four seconds left, forward Kyle Schempp bounces a shot off the back of the netminder from below the net at 19:56, pushing the game to overtime at 3-3.
After a scoreless overtime, Steelheads forward A.J. White opened the shootout with a goal, but Oilers forwards Brent Gates and Sampair scored in the first and third rounds to take the 4-3 shootout result.
Oilers netminder Devin Williams (4-1-1) turned aside 26 of 29 shots in the win and two of three shootout attempts. Steelheads goaltender Colton Point (2-2-1) halted 51 of 54 shots and one of three shootout attempts in the loss.
The Steelheads complete their eight-game road trip on Sunday, Nov. 17 at 3:05 p.m. MT against the Allen Americans from Allen Event Center. Coverage begins at 2:45 p.m. MT on 1350-AM KTIK "The Ticket" and ECHL.tv.
The Steelheads return to CenturyLink Arena on Wednesday, Nov. 20 at 7:10 p.m. against the Orlando Solar. Call the Steelheads Front Office at 208-383-0080 to plan your seats for this season, including single-game, flex plans and season tickets. Stay connected to the Steelheads on idahosteelheads.com or by following the team on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from November 16, 2019
- Mavs Explode against West's Top Team, Defeat Rapid City 10-1 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Kasimir Kaskisuo Makes NHL Debut - Orlando Solar Bears
- Fucale, Solar Bears Blank IceMen in 3-0 Victory - Orlando Solar Bears
- Steelheads Late Goal Helps to Earn Point in 4-3 Shootout Loss to Oilers - Idaho Steelheads
- Two for Tonge: 'Blades Top Gladiators for Third Straight Win - Florida Everblades
- Fuel Come up Short to the Swap Rabbits in Greenville - Indy Fuel
- K-Wings Defeat Grizzlies 3-2 - Utah Grizzlies
- Schultz Reaches Milestone in Dominating Offensive Performance - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Greenville Outlasts Indy Behind Helvig's 42 Saves - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Glads Chomped by 'Blades in First Meeting - Atlanta Gladiators
- K-Wings Snap Skid with Win over Grizzlies - Kalamazoo Wings
- Stingrays Stay Hot, Roll Past Admirals 6-2 - South Carolina Stingrays
- Largest Crowd of Season Witnesses Historic 1-0 OT Win vs. Wheeling - Reading Royals
- Five Unanswered Goals Carry Stingrays Past Admirals - Norfolk Admirals
- Ruby Helps Nailers Earn Point in Reading - Wheeling Nailers
- Walleye Draw a Blank against Newfoundland - Toledo Walleye
- Cormier's 25 Save Shutout Halts Mariners Win Streak - Adirondack Thunder
- Cormier Shuts Door on Mariners - Maine Mariners
- Growlers Shutout the Walleye 2-0 - Newfoundland Growlers
- Admirals Look to Reverse Course, Snap out of Nine-Game Skid - Norfolk Admirals
- ECHL Transactions - November 16 - ECHL
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at IceMen - Orlando Solar Bears
- Sorenson Recalled to Utica - Kalamazoo Wings
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Ft. Wayne Komets - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Solar Bears Signs Rich Boyd - Orlando Solar Bears
- Growlers Sign Mike Crocock to ECHL Contract - Newfoundland Growlers
- Game Notes: at Kansas City - Rapid City Rush
- Royals Tied for ECHL-Best 20 Points, Start Homestand - Reading Royals
- Brad Barone Stars in 2-1 Grizzlies Win - Utah Grizzlies
- Despite Late Surge, Oilers Fall 5-4 to Rapid City - Tulsa Oilers
- Rush Avoid Late Scare in Win against Oilers - Rapid City Rush
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Idaho Steelheads Stories
- Steelheads Set New Teddy Bear Toss Record, Donate 8,088 Toys
- Steelheads Fall 4-2 to Komets in Spirited First Franchise Meeting
- Steelheads, St. Luke's Go "Under The Sea" for Nickelodeon Night This Saturday
- Steelheads Weekly
- Steelheads Score Early, Fall Late in 4-3 Overtime Loss to Allen