Glads Chomped by 'Blades in First Meeting
DULUTH, GA- The Atlanta Gladiators were bested by the Florida Everblades in a 4-1 loss Saturday night at Infinite Energy Arena. Florida's Alex Tonge torched Atlanta for two goals in the road victory, while only Tommy Marchin could find the back of the net for the Gladiators.
Coming off of two road games in the previous two days, the Glads looked to avoid an early lack of energy. Their defensive effort was intense, and forced the Everblades to execute precisely. The visitors did just that when F Hugo Roy struck just two and a half minutes into the contest. Despite an encouraging performance from G Sean Bonar, Florida snagged a second tally in the opening frame from Tonge.
Atlanta came out of the first intermission with a greater sense of urgency. Off of a faceoff won by F Dante Hannoun, Marchin wristed a quick shot past Florida G Ken Appleby to cut the lead in half. The Gladiators' defensive hustle looked like it would carry the team to the second break with a one-goal deficit, but it was Tonge capitalizing for a rare power play score as the 'Blades reclaimed the two-score advantage.
The Glads could not find the second goal they needed in the final frame, and Florida managed a short-handed tally when F John McCarron beat Bonar on a breakaway chance.
The Gladiators take the ice again Sunday afternoon when they host the Indy Fuel at 2:05 PM. Fans can still secure their tickets to the game and reserve their spot at the Princess and Pirates character luncheon.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from November 16, 2019
- Mavs Explode against West's Top Team, Defeat Rapid City 10-1 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Kasimir Kaskisuo Makes NHL Debut - Orlando Solar Bears
- Fucale, Solar Bears Blank IceMen in 3-0 Victory - Orlando Solar Bears
- Steelheads Late Goal Helps to Earn Point in 4-3 Shootout Loss to Oilers - Idaho Steelheads
- Two for Tonge: 'Blades Top Gladiators for Third Straight Win - Florida Everblades
- Fuel Come up Short to the Swap Rabbits in Greenville - Indy Fuel
- K-Wings Defeat Grizzlies 3-2 - Utah Grizzlies
- Schultz Reaches Milestone in Dominating Offensive Performance - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Greenville Outlasts Indy Behind Helvig's 42 Saves - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Glads Chomped by 'Blades in First Meeting - Atlanta Gladiators
- K-Wings Snap Skid with Win over Grizzlies - Kalamazoo Wings
- Stingrays Stay Hot, Roll Past Admirals 6-2 - South Carolina Stingrays
- Largest Crowd of Season Witnesses Historic 1-0 OT Win vs. Wheeling - Reading Royals
- Five Unanswered Goals Carry Stingrays Past Admirals - Norfolk Admirals
- Ruby Helps Nailers Earn Point in Reading - Wheeling Nailers
- Walleye Draw a Blank against Newfoundland - Toledo Walleye
- Cormier's 25 Save Shutout Halts Mariners Win Streak - Adirondack Thunder
- Cormier Shuts Door on Mariners - Maine Mariners
- Growlers Shutout the Walleye 2-0 - Newfoundland Growlers
- Admirals Look to Reverse Course, Snap out of Nine-Game Skid - Norfolk Admirals
- ECHL Transactions - November 16 - ECHL
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at IceMen - Orlando Solar Bears
- Sorenson Recalled to Utica - Kalamazoo Wings
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Ft. Wayne Komets - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Solar Bears Signs Rich Boyd - Orlando Solar Bears
- Growlers Sign Mike Crocock to ECHL Contract - Newfoundland Growlers
- Game Notes: at Kansas City - Rapid City Rush
- Royals Tied for ECHL-Best 20 Points, Start Homestand - Reading Royals
- Brad Barone Stars in 2-1 Grizzlies Win - Utah Grizzlies
- Despite Late Surge, Oilers Fall 5-4 to Rapid City - Tulsa Oilers
- Rush Avoid Late Scare in Win against Oilers - Rapid City Rush
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.