Mavericks Fall 5-1 to Indy Fuel in Season-Opener
Indianapolis, IN (Oct. 24, 2014) - The Missouri Mavericks struggled during a two minute stretch of the third period as they fell in a fairly evenly played game by a 5-1 count against the Indy Fuel on Friday night in their first ECHL game.
David Rutherford scored the lone goal for Missouri, but it was Indy's offensive outburst in the final frame where they scored three times in a 2:13 stretch, finished with four third period goals, that was the difference.
Indy took advantage of an early power play scoring the game's first goal. Robert Czarnick has had the hot hand to start the season for the Fuel and he was the one in the right place at the right time banging the puck past Mike Clemente for his fourth goal of the season. Nick Jones and Rhett Bly earned the assists at the 5:59 mark of the opening period.
The Mavs would bounce back with a 4-on-4 goal scored by Rutherford. The speedy forward took a pass at the blue line from teammate Jared Brown and went in on Cody Reichard beating him on the backhand for Missouri's first goal of the 2014-15 campaign. Colten Hayes and Brown earned the assists on the goal scored at the 8:30 mark.
The first period ended with the teams knotted at one goal apiece although the Fuel had a healthy advantage in shots (15-6) as Clemente was outstanding stopping 14 shots.
The teams were fairly even during the second period, but Missouri was able to settle in with a pair of power play chances late in the middle frame that helped the offense gain some momentum. The flip side to those man advantages was that it also created the best chances for the Fuel in the period as twice they were able to gain shorthanded breakaways against Clemente, both stopped by the Mavs netminder.
As the teams neared the midway point of the third period, the Fuel would regain their second lead of the night thanks to former Mavs defenseman Anders Franzon finding Mike Duco for his first goal of the season. The goal came at the 8:17 mark and it gave Indy a 2-1 advantage.
Indy would add to their lead just 55 seconds later with a blast from the point by Justin Holl, his first goal of the season making the count 3-1 and they were not done as the offensive outburst for the Fuel continued with Bly netting his second goal of the season at the 10:30 mark.
Patrick Cullen made the score 5-1 late in the third period as Indy capitalized on another power play chance connecting for the second time in eight chances in the game. It was Cullen's third goal of the season, scored at the 17:18 mark of the third period.
The Fuel outshot the Mavs in the game by a 28-16 count as Reichard earned his first win of the season making 15 saves. Clemente was sharp throughout most of the game stopping 23 shots, but he takes the loss.
The Mavs continue their five-game road trip to start the season in Fort Wayne on Saturday night as they take on the Komets.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from October 24, 2014
- Battochio's Shutout Stuns Mallards at Home - Rapid City Rush
- Grizzlies Beat Colorado 3-2 at Maverik Center - Utah Grizzlies
- Fuel Pull into Victory Lane, Top Mavs 5-1 - Indy Fuel
- Royals Bag First Win with Wild Shootout in Elmira, 6-5 - Reading Royals
- Fuel Pull into Victory Lane, Top Mavs 5-1 - Indy Fuel
- Guggenberger Blanks Nailers, 5-0 - Atlanta Gladiators
- Oilers Offense Explodes in 9-6 Victory over Americans - Tulsa Oilers
- Toledo Walleye Spoil Brampton Beast's ECHL Debut - Brampton Beast
- Komets slip past K-Wings in overtime - Kalamazoo Wings
- Mavericks Fall 5-1 to Indy Fuel in Season-Opener - Kansas City Mavericks
- Mallards Blanked by Rush in Inaugural ECHL Opener - Quad City Mallards
- Battochio's Shut Out Stuns Mallards At Home - Rapid City Rush
- Solar Bears Shine in 5-1 Win over Everblades - Florida Everblades
- Guggenberger, Gladiators Blank Wheeling, 5-0 - Wheeling Nailers
- Malcolm Blanks 'Rays in Home Opener Win - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Stingrays Fall Short against Road Warriors 3-0 - South Carolina Stingrays
- October 31st Game Time Changed - Rapid City Rush
- Nick McParland Joins Rush in a Trade - Rapid City Rush
- Countdown to Face-Off: K-Wings vs Komets - Kalamazoo Wings
- Condors vs. Idaho - Tonight School Kit Giveaway - Bakersfield Condors
- Register Returns to Ontario from AHL Tryout - Ontario Reign
- ECHL Transactions - October 24 - ECHL
- Opening Night Kicking off with Annual Block Party - Wichita Thunder
- K-Wings Roster Changes Hours before Home Opener - Kalamazoo Wings
- Matt MacKenzie Reassigned from Rochester - Elmira Jackals
- Gameday: Thunder Kick off Military Appreciation Weekend - Stockton Thunder
- Bunz Reassigned to OKC; Reum Added to Blueline - Wichita Thunder
- Mavericks Announce Team Captains - Kansas City Mavericks
- Preview: Home Opener Tonight vs. South Carolina - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Game Preview: Elmira Jackals vs. Reading Royals - Elmira Jackals
- Tulsa Oilers Game Day Preview - Tulsa Oilers
- Nailers at Gladiators Game Day Snap Shot - Wheeling Nailers
- Defenseman Frankie Simonelli Recalled to Providence - South Carolina Stingrays
- Bell Loaned to IceMen by Devils - Evansville IceMen
- Winterfest Adrian V US 18 Tickets on Sale - Toledo Walleye
- Preview: Gladiators Host Nailers in Home Opener - Atlanta Gladiators
- Royals on the Road: at Elmira Jackals (Friday, October 24) - Reading Royals
- Stingrays Game Preview: Stingrays and Road Warriors Renew In-State Rivalry Tonight - South Carolina Stingrays
- ECHL Today - October 24 - ECHL
- Condors Double Down on Aces, 6-3 - Bakersfield Condors
- Archambault leads Aces offense with goal, assist in 6-3 loss - Alaska Aces
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Kansas City Mavericks Stories
- Mavs Finish Three-In-Three Weekend with Loss in Wichita
- Mavericks Extend Winning Streak to Four with Commanding 5-1 Win over Fort Wayne
- Mavs Take Third Straight against Thunder with Stifling 4-1 Win
- Mavs Monday: KC Makes Headway with Weekend Sweep in Wichita
- Mavericks Teddy Bear Toss this Saturday