Countdown to Face-Off: K-Wings vs Komets
One of the best rivalries in minor league sports will be renewed tonight when the Kalamazoo Wings host the Fort Wayne Komets during the 11th annual Orange Ice Game, presented by Meijer and Townsquare Media. Tonight will be the first of 15 regular season encounters between the teams.
After playing three straight on the road the K-Wings will lift the curtain on their home schedule. The stay at Wings Stadium will be brief. After this evening, Kalamazoo will return to the road for three more games, including two against Fort Wayne.
A perfect 2-0-0-0 to start the season, the Komets began the season with a pair of high scoring victories against the Indy Fuel. With four points, the Komets are one of six undefeated teams in the Eastern Conference and enter tonight in a first place tie atop the North Division with the K-Wings.
Team Leaders: Kalamazoo Wings Fort Wayne Komets
Goals: Ludwig Blomstrand (3 Goals) Matthew Pistilli,
Kaleigh Schrock (2 Goals)
Assists: Sasha Guimond, James Martin (3 Assists)Nathan Longpre (4 Assists)
Points: Ludwig Blomstrand, Sacha Guimond, James Martin (4 Points)
Nathan Longre (5 Points)
+/-: Sacha Guimond, Nathan Longpre (+3) Eric Faile, Mathew Pistilli, Kaleigh Schrock, Mikael Tam (+3)
Penalty Minutes: Joe Sova (6 Minutes) Shawn Szydlowski (9 Minutes)
Power Play Goals: Five Players Tied (1 Goals) Paul Crowder, Mikael Tam (1 Goal)
Short Handed Goals: Entire Team (0 Goals) Entire Team (0 Goals)
Game Winning Goals: Eric Kattelus, Alex Mallet (1 GW) Mitchell Heard (1 GW)
Shots: Nathan Longpre (10 Shots) Matthew Pistilli (6 Shots)
Shooting Percentage: Ludwig Blomstrand (60%) Mitchell Heard (100%)
Overtime Goals: Eric Kattelus (1 Goal) Entire Team (0 Goals)
Shootout Goals: Entire Team (0 Goals) Paul Crowder, Eric Faile,
Shawn Szydlowski (1 Goal)
Shootout Percentage: Entire Team (0%) Paul Crowder, Eric Faile,
Shawn Szydlowski (100 %)
Goals Against Average: Scott Munroe (2.00 ) Pat Nagle ( 3.36)
Save Percentage: Scott Monroe (0.920) Pat Nagle (0.900)
All-Time/ Season Series
All-Time Series: K-Wings Lead All -Time Series: 173-170-46 (Includes ECHL, IHL and UHL )
All-Time ECHL Series: K-Wings Lead All-Time ECHL Series: 17-10-1-1
Season Series: First Meeting of the Season
Last Meeting: K-Wings Won 5-3 on March 23rd @ Wings Stadium in Kalamazoo, Michigan (2013-2014)
Next Meeting: Friday, October 31st @ Allen County Memorial Coliseum in Fort Wayne, Indiana
Kalamazoo will open the home portion of their schedule this Friday during the 11th Annual Orange Ice Game. The K-Wings are 4-6-0-0 all-time on the pumpkin colored ice and 3-2-0-0 since joining the ECHL.
Fast Starts Kalamazoo has gotten off to quick starts this season. Including their three preseason contests, the K-Wings have scored their first goal in the first five minutes of the game of all six games they have played this season.
Blain and Mannino join K-Wings
Earlier today the K-Wings added defenseman Jeremie Blain and goaltender Peter Mannino. Blain, who played for the K-Wings last season, was reassigned to the team by Vancouver, while Mannino was a free-agent signing that has NHL experience.
Closing in on a Milestone
Forward Josh Brittian nearing a personal milestone, Brittian needs one more point to reach 100 in his career.
Tickets! Get Your Tickets!!
Tickets for all K-Wings home games are now on sale. Catch all the action as your K-Wings play the very best the ECHL has to offer. Tickets are on sale now stopping by the Wings Stadium Ticket Office, any Ticketmaster location or at kwings.com.
This season, the best way to keep track of the K-Wings is to log onto the team's website at www.kwings.com . The site has player profiles, video on your hometown team, and much, much more.
K-Wings on the Net
Catch all the K-Wings games, home and away, on the K-Wings Broadcast Network at www.echl.tv . Join the "Voice of the K-Wings" Mike Modugno for all 72 regular season games plus the playoffs. Pregame coverage begins with the Kalsee Credit Union Pre-Game Show 15 minutes prior to face-off. For the most complete coverage of the K-Wings from the opening face-off to the final buzzer, keep your smart phones, tablets and computers logged onto to the K-Wings Broadcast Network.
Saturday, October 25th @ Cincinnati 7:35 PM
Friday, October 31st @ Fort Wayne 8:00 PM
Saturday, November 1st @ Fort Wayne 7:30 PM
Friday, November 7th Vs Elmira 7:30 PM (Van Andel Institute Purple Community Night)
Saturday, November 8th Vs Elmira 7:30 PM (Military Appreciation Night presented by AmeriFirst Home Mortgage)
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from October 24, 2014
- Battochio's Shutout Stuns Mallards at Home - Rapid City Rush
- Grizzlies Beat Colorado 3-2 at Maverik Center - Utah Grizzlies
- Fuel Pull into Victory Lane, Top Mavs 5-1 - Indy Fuel
- Royals Bag First Win with Wild Shootout in Elmira, 6-5 - Reading Royals
- Fuel Pull into Victory Lane, Top Mavs 5-1 - Indy Fuel
- Guggenberger Blanks Nailers, 5-0 - Atlanta Gladiators
- Oilers Offense Explodes in 9-6 Victory over Americans - Tulsa Oilers
- Toledo Walleye Spoil Brampton Beast's ECHL Debut - Brampton Beast
- Komets slip past K-Wings in overtime - Kalamazoo Wings
- Mavericks Fall 5-1 to Indy Fuel in Season-Opener - Kansas City Mavericks
- Mallards Blanked by Rush in Inaugural ECHL Opener - Quad City Mallards
- Battochio's Shut Out Stuns Mallards At Home - Rapid City Rush
- Solar Bears Shine in 5-1 Win over Everblades - Florida Everblades
- Guggenberger, Gladiators Blank Wheeling, 5-0 - Wheeling Nailers
- Malcolm Blanks 'Rays in Home Opener Win - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Stingrays Fall Short against Road Warriors 3-0 - South Carolina Stingrays
- October 31st Game Time Changed - Rapid City Rush
- Nick McParland Joins Rush in a Trade - Rapid City Rush
- Countdown to Face-Off: K-Wings vs Komets - Kalamazoo Wings
- Condors vs. Idaho - Tonight School Kit Giveaway - Bakersfield Condors
- Register Returns to Ontario from AHL Tryout - Ontario Reign
- ECHL Transactions - October 24 - ECHL
- Opening Night Kicking off with Annual Block Party - Wichita Thunder
- K-Wings Roster Changes Hours before Home Opener - Kalamazoo Wings
- Matt MacKenzie Reassigned from Rochester - Elmira Jackals
- Gameday: Thunder Kick off Military Appreciation Weekend - Stockton Thunder
- Bunz Reassigned to OKC; Reum Added to Blueline - Wichita Thunder
- Mavericks Announce Team Captains - Kansas City Mavericks
- Preview: Home Opener Tonight vs. South Carolina - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Game Preview: Elmira Jackals vs. Reading Royals - Elmira Jackals
- Tulsa Oilers Game Day Preview - Tulsa Oilers
- Nailers at Gladiators Game Day Snap Shot - Wheeling Nailers
- Defenseman Frankie Simonelli Recalled to Providence - South Carolina Stingrays
- Bell Loaned to IceMen by Devils - Evansville IceMen
- Winterfest Adrian V US 18 Tickets on Sale - Toledo Walleye
- Preview: Gladiators Host Nailers in Home Opener - Atlanta Gladiators
- Royals on the Road: at Elmira Jackals (Friday, October 24) - Reading Royals
- Stingrays Game Preview: Stingrays and Road Warriors Renew In-State Rivalry Tonight - South Carolina Stingrays
- ECHL Today - October 24 - ECHL
- Condors Double Down on Aces, 6-3 - Bakersfield Condors
- Archambault leads Aces offense with goal, assist in 6-3 loss - Alaska Aces
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.