Royals Bag First Win with Wild Shootout in Elmira, 6-5
Elmira, NY - The Reading Royals (win, 1-1-0-02) of the ECHL, affiliate of the Philadelphia Flyers of the National Hockey League and the Lehigh Valley Phantoms of the American Hockey League, defeated the Elmira Jackals (sol, 1-1-0-13), 6-5, in a shootout.
In the first of what will be fifteen games this season between the Royals and the Jackals, the two teams went back-and-fourth in a crazy see-saw that required a shootout for resolution. After falling behind 2-0 in the first, the Royals rang off five straight, including back-to-back power play goals early in the third to build a three-goal advantage. The Jackals then spun off a pair of power play goals-and a late game penalty shot-to earn the tie after regulation time. Both teams had a power play in overtime, but neither team could capitalize; so it went to the shootout, where the Royals scored twice, while goaltender Martin Ouellette was able to hold on for the win in his first start as a pro.
First Period (0-2, Elmira) 6:09 (0-1) Elmira Goal MacPherson (3), Reid and Tolkinen (scramble around the net, chip shot from top of the crease) A wild scramble ensued around the net after goaltender Martin Ouellette lost possession of his stick. The Royals had a chance to clear the defensive zone, but failed and the Jackals ramped up the pressure and hit pay-dirt when Brodie Reid slid a pass from behind the Reading net to the top of the crease, where Alan MacPherson was able to get enough of a shot to chip it up and over the extended left arm of Ouellette.
19:44 (0-2) Elmira Goal (Four-on-Four) Kea (1), Conboy (weak-side re-direct, stuff of a pass from deep left corner) Elmira built a 2-0 lead late in the first while the two teams were playing four-on-four. Andrew Conboy tracked a loose puck in the left corner and fired a cross-ice pass that appeared to slip by a Reading defender directly to Justin Kea who snuck in on the back-door for the easy tap in with just 16.2 seconds left in the period.
Second Period (3-2, Reading) 12:13 (1-2, Elmira) Reading Goal Mullane (2), Higgs, Daniels (snap shot from eight feet off top of crease) After an aggressive forecheck by Ian Watters ignited the Royals' team energy, Brock Higgs dug a puck off the end wall in Elmira's end and slipped a pass to the to the low slot where Pat Mullane was cutting across for a quick snap shot that bulleted behind goaltender Capobianco for his second in two games.
15:21 (2-2, Tie) Reading Goal Marcou (1), Wiles and Cohen (hot blast from just inside the blue line) The Royals tied the game on a laser from the high slot by Mike Marcou, who gunned the puck low blocker on Capobianco.
19:22 (3-2, Reading) Reading Goal Flemming (2), Davies and Watters (snap shot from deep, wide right point) The Royals took the team's first lead with a long range snap shot by Brett Flemming from the right point that slipped by Capobianco high on the blocker side with 37.7 seconds remaining in the second.
Third Period (5-5, Tie) 3:18 (4-2, Reading) Reading Goal (Power Play) Flemming 2 (3), Marcou and Hughesman (partially deflected snap shot from top of left circle) The Royals were awarded seven consecutive minutes of power play when Andrew Conboy was assessed with a roughing minor and a five-minute major for being the aggressor in a fight at the 19:59 mark of the second period. Reading built a two-goal lead with the second consecutive goal by Flemming-this one coming on another long range shot (off the top of the left circle) that was partially deflected and beat Capobianco high to the glove side.
3:34 (5-2, Reading) Reading Goal (Power Play) Hughesman (1), Lamarche and Wiles (hard snap shot from left circle) Sixteen seconds later, the Royals built the lead to 5-2 with a hot bullet out of the left circle by Adam Hughesman.
10:58 (5-3, Reading) Elmira Goal (Power Play) Stefishin (2), Alber (top shelf chip from in tight) The Jackals started their comeback effort with a power play goal when defenseman Patch Alber found Taylor Stefishin wide open and all alone at the left side of the Royals' net. Stefishin controlled the pass, did a spin-a-rama towards the low slot and quickly took a hard, quick snap shot top shelf.
12:48 (5-4, Reading) Elmira Goal (Power Play) Bloodoff (1), Reid and Irwin (rebound put back) Elmira pulled within one with a four-on-three power play goal. The Jackals created a multi-shot scoring flurry, which ended when Lucas Bloodoff punched back a loose puck from in tight.
19:07 (5-5, Tie) Elmira Goal (Penalty Shot) Brayden Irwin (1) (five-hole punch) Elmira was awarded a late game penalty shot when a Reading defender covered the puck with his glove in the crease with just 52.8 seconds left. The Jackals didn't waste the opportunity, as Brayden Irwin got Ouellette to commit with an attempted poke check and slipped the puck between his legs to tie the game.
Overtime (5-5, Tie) No Scoring Despite the fact that each team was awarded a power play in the five-minute overtime, neither team could capitalize and the game required a shootout for resolution. . Shootout (Reading Wins) Reading (2-4) / Elmira (1-5) Elmira shot first and scored only once: (Brodie Reid, shooting second). The others were: (First: Brayden Irwin, missed) (Third: Paul McIlveen, missed) (Fourth: Alan McPherson, missed) (Fifth: Taylor Stefishin, missed)
Two Reading shooters scored: (Ryan Cruthers, shooting first) (Pat Mullane, shooting third). The others were: (Second: Olivier Labelle, missed) (Fourth: Sean Wiles, missed).
* The Royals have won nine consecutive games at First Arena in Elmira, New York, including all seven games played there in the 2013-14 season. The last loss for Reading in Elmira came on February 18, 2013.
* Scratches for the Royals tonight: Dan Ford (d), Jordan Heywood (d), Kevin Walrod (f) (21-Day IR), Adam Comrie (d), Match Hatch (f), and David Marshall (f) (upper body injury).
* This is the first of fifteen match-ups between the Royals and Jackals. The two teams are competing this season for the Challenge Cup Presented by Demet's Candy, which has manufacturing facilities in Reading and Elmira.
* Next Up for Reading: Saturday, October 25 (@7:05 pm), against the Elmira Jackals at Santander Arena in Reading, PA.
NOTES ON HOME OPENER (Saturday, October 25, 2014)
The home portion of the Royals' schedule will kick off on Saturday (October 25, 2014 @ 7:05 pm) when the Elmira Jackals travel to Santander Arena. That night, the Royals invite everyone in the Greater Reading Region and beyond to join us as we set sail on the Royals' Fourteenth Year of Fun with the A Simply Smashing Royal Experience Block Party on Penn Street. The excitement will kick off directly in front of Santander Arena (700 Penn Street, Reading, PA) at 4:00 pm, three hours before the opening face-off for the home opener.
This year's Simply Smashing Block Party will provide a heaping helping of a grand Royal Experience for everyone in the family, offering a number of participatory games (including a 30 foot inflatable and corn-hole competitions), a performance by a magician, and-this is where you can flex those biceps-a season-opening 'Smash-a-Car' courtesy of V&M Towing for your sledge-hammer swinging pleasure. Penn Street will be rocking with music courtesy of the WIOV van, and to keep your energy at maximum output for the long-haul, there will be great food available for purchase from Muddy's Smokehouse BBQ and Chapman's Deli Sandwiches, as well as other refreshments, including non-alcoholic beverages.
The Simply Smashing Royal Experience Block Party on Penn Street will feature appearances by all of your Royal favorites including Slapshot and Tiara, as well as Flyer legend Brian Propp. Fans will also have an opportunity to get a free smile from the brand new ice and promotional team, The Royal Ladies, who will be making their debut appearance for the 2014-15 season. The Royals also expect the renovation and expansion project of the team's merchandise outlet, the Lion's Den, to be completed by the home opener, so everyone can get properly geared up-and fired up-for the home opener against the Jackals.
Call 610-898-7825 for more information or log onto www.royalshockey.com.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from October 24, 2014
- Battochio's Shutout Stuns Mallards at Home - Rapid City Rush
- Grizzlies Beat Colorado 3-2 at Maverik Center - Utah Grizzlies
- Fuel Pull into Victory Lane, Top Mavs 5-1 - Indy Fuel
- Royals Bag First Win with Wild Shootout in Elmira, 6-5 - Reading Royals
- Fuel Pull into Victory Lane, Top Mavs 5-1 - Indy Fuel
- Guggenberger Blanks Nailers, 5-0 - Atlanta Gladiators
- Oilers Offense Explodes in 9-6 Victory over Americans - Tulsa Oilers
- Toledo Walleye Spoil Brampton Beast's ECHL Debut - Brampton Beast
- Komets slip past K-Wings in overtime - Kalamazoo Wings
- Mavericks Fall 5-1 to Indy Fuel in Season-Opener - Kansas City Mavericks
- Mallards Blanked by Rush in Inaugural ECHL Opener - Quad City Mallards
- Battochio's Shut Out Stuns Mallards At Home - Rapid City Rush
- Solar Bears Shine in 5-1 Win over Everblades - Florida Everblades
- Guggenberger, Gladiators Blank Wheeling, 5-0 - Wheeling Nailers
- Malcolm Blanks 'Rays in Home Opener Win - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Stingrays Fall Short against Road Warriors 3-0 - South Carolina Stingrays
- October 31st Game Time Changed - Rapid City Rush
- Nick McParland Joins Rush in a Trade - Rapid City Rush
- Countdown to Face-Off: K-Wings vs Komets - Kalamazoo Wings
- Condors vs. Idaho - Tonight School Kit Giveaway - Bakersfield Condors
- Register Returns to Ontario from AHL Tryout - Ontario Reign
- ECHL Transactions - October 24 - ECHL
- Opening Night Kicking off with Annual Block Party - Wichita Thunder
- K-Wings Roster Changes Hours before Home Opener - Kalamazoo Wings
- Matt MacKenzie Reassigned from Rochester - Elmira Jackals
- Gameday: Thunder Kick off Military Appreciation Weekend - Stockton Thunder
- Bunz Reassigned to OKC; Reum Added to Blueline - Wichita Thunder
- Mavericks Announce Team Captains - Kansas City Mavericks
- Preview: Home Opener Tonight vs. South Carolina - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Game Preview: Elmira Jackals vs. Reading Royals - Elmira Jackals
- Tulsa Oilers Game Day Preview - Tulsa Oilers
- Nailers at Gladiators Game Day Snap Shot - Wheeling Nailers
- Defenseman Frankie Simonelli Recalled to Providence - South Carolina Stingrays
- Bell Loaned to IceMen by Devils - Evansville IceMen
- Winterfest Adrian V US 18 Tickets on Sale - Toledo Walleye
- Preview: Gladiators Host Nailers in Home Opener - Atlanta Gladiators
- Royals on the Road: at Elmira Jackals (Friday, October 24) - Reading Royals
- Stingrays Game Preview: Stingrays and Road Warriors Renew In-State Rivalry Tonight - South Carolina Stingrays
- ECHL Today - October 24 - ECHL
- Condors Double Down on Aces, 6-3 - Bakersfield Condors
- Archambault leads Aces offense with goal, assist in 6-3 loss - Alaska Aces
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Reading Royals Stories
- Royals' First-Ever Education Day Game January 7 at 10:30 a.m.
- Ginder Named Royals' Business Development Manager
- Royals Extend Head Coach Kirk MacDonald's Contract
- Chris Powell Joins Royals as Dir. of Corporate Sales and Sponsorships
- Royals' MacDonald Named ECHL Equipment Manager of the Year