Guggenberger Blanks Nailers, 5-0
DULUTH, Ga. - The Gladiators came out firing on all cylinders Friday night, shutting down the Wheeling Nailers 5-0 in front of a crowd of 4,885 in their home opener at the Arena at Gwinnett Center. Mark Guggenberger was a perfect 25-for-25 in net for the shutout. Casey Pierro-Zabotel had two goals in the game, while Brenden Walker came away with three assists. Eight Gladiators came away with points, while three had multiple points (Eric Springer being the other).
The Gladiators (1-1-0-0) put one on the board early in the first period at 3:20 from Eric Springer's slap shot, which found its way through traffic and past Wheeling (1-1-0-0) starter Franky Palazzese. At 12:33 of the first, Garry Nunn worked the puck up the ice past the centerline, with Springer flanking up the right side. Nunn dished the puck across the front of the net where J.P. Labardo was waiting to strike, scoring his first of the season to give the Glads a 2-0 lead over the Nailers after 20 minutes.
The second period started much like the first, with the Gladiators finding the back of the net quickly. Gladiators' captain, Sean Berkstresser, scored at 4:34 after pushing the puck towards Palazzese off a miscommunication between a Nailers defenseman and the goaltender. After more strong play, Brenden Walker dished the puck to Casey Pierro-Zabotel, who was waiting with his back to the Nailers' net. With an impressive spin move, Pierro-Zabotel shot the puck directly into the goal, bringing the score to 4-0.
Pierro-Zabotel followed that tally with another, 52 seconds into the third period. Mike Merrifield quickly got the puck to Walker, who once again found Pierro-Zabotel in a very crowded net; giving him his third assist of the night. From there, it was all Guggenberger as Wheeling pummeled him for 11 shots in the final period, trying to break up the shutout.
On the opposite end, Palazzese was 10-for-14 in 40 minutes of work, while backup Jeff Wyer was three-for-four in his professional hockey debut.
The Gladiators will continue their six-game homestand on Saturday night against the Greenville Road Warriors at 7:05 p.m. Make sure to come early as the team will be handing out calendars to the first 2,000 fans inside the gates. For tickets and schedule information, visit the official team website at www.gwinnettgladiators.com or call the main office line at 770-497-5100."¨"¨
The Gladiators are members of the ECHL, the nation's premier "AA" hockey league, and are affiliated with the Arizona Coyotes of the NHL. All home games are played at the 11,355-seat Arena at Gwinnett Center, located just off I-85 on Sugarloaf Parkway in Duluth - where parking is always free.
As Atlanta's "One and Only" professional hockey team, the Gladiators have established an extraordinary winning tradition and unrivaled commitment to excellence, maintaining a distinctive reputation for affordable and family-friendly sports entertainment. The Gladiators are consistently ranked as one of the top "Things To Do" in the Atlanta area and across the North Georgia region.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from October 24, 2014
- Battochio's Shutout Stuns Mallards at Home - Rapid City Rush
- Grizzlies Beat Colorado 3-2 at Maverik Center - Utah Grizzlies
- Fuel Pull into Victory Lane, Top Mavs 5-1 - Indy Fuel
- Royals Bag First Win with Wild Shootout in Elmira, 6-5 - Reading Royals
- Fuel Pull into Victory Lane, Top Mavs 5-1 - Indy Fuel
- Guggenberger Blanks Nailers, 5-0 - Atlanta Gladiators
- Oilers Offense Explodes in 9-6 Victory over Americans - Tulsa Oilers
- Toledo Walleye Spoil Brampton Beast's ECHL Debut - Brampton Beast
- Komets slip past K-Wings in overtime - Kalamazoo Wings
- Mavericks Fall 5-1 to Indy Fuel in Season-Opener - Kansas City Mavericks
- Mallards Blanked by Rush in Inaugural ECHL Opener - Quad City Mallards
- Battochio's Shut Out Stuns Mallards At Home - Rapid City Rush
- Solar Bears Shine in 5-1 Win over Everblades - Florida Everblades
- Guggenberger, Gladiators Blank Wheeling, 5-0 - Wheeling Nailers
- Malcolm Blanks 'Rays in Home Opener Win - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Stingrays Fall Short against Road Warriors 3-0 - South Carolina Stingrays
- October 31st Game Time Changed - Rapid City Rush
- Nick McParland Joins Rush in a Trade - Rapid City Rush
- Countdown to Face-Off: K-Wings vs Komets - Kalamazoo Wings
- Condors vs. Idaho - Tonight School Kit Giveaway - Bakersfield Condors
- Register Returns to Ontario from AHL Tryout - Ontario Reign
- ECHL Transactions - October 24 - ECHL
- Opening Night Kicking off with Annual Block Party - Wichita Thunder
- K-Wings Roster Changes Hours before Home Opener - Kalamazoo Wings
- Matt MacKenzie Reassigned from Rochester - Elmira Jackals
- Gameday: Thunder Kick off Military Appreciation Weekend - Stockton Thunder
- Bunz Reassigned to OKC; Reum Added to Blueline - Wichita Thunder
- Mavericks Announce Team Captains - Kansas City Mavericks
- Preview: Home Opener Tonight vs. South Carolina - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Game Preview: Elmira Jackals vs. Reading Royals - Elmira Jackals
- Tulsa Oilers Game Day Preview - Tulsa Oilers
- Nailers at Gladiators Game Day Snap Shot - Wheeling Nailers
- Defenseman Frankie Simonelli Recalled to Providence - South Carolina Stingrays
- Bell Loaned to IceMen by Devils - Evansville IceMen
- Winterfest Adrian V US 18 Tickets on Sale - Toledo Walleye
- Preview: Gladiators Host Nailers in Home Opener - Atlanta Gladiators
- Royals on the Road: at Elmira Jackals (Friday, October 24) - Reading Royals
- Stingrays Game Preview: Stingrays and Road Warriors Renew In-State Rivalry Tonight - South Carolina Stingrays
- ECHL Today - October 24 - ECHL
- Condors Double Down on Aces, 6-3 - Bakersfield Condors
- Archambault leads Aces offense with goal, assist in 6-3 loss - Alaska Aces
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Atlanta Gladiators Stories
- Jerry James Promoted to Team President
- Glads Rally for Postseason Falls Just Short
- Predators Prospect Inks Deal with Atlanta
- South Carolina Survives with Home Victory Setting up Winner-Take-All Game Tomorrow
- Bonar Steals Crucial Point for Atlanta with Miraculous Performance in Net