Mavericks Announce Team Captains
Missouri Mavericks Head Coach and Director of Hockey Operations Richard Matvichuk announced on Friday the ECHL club has named veteran forward Sebastien Thinel as its Team Captain for the 2014-15 season. Garett Bembridge, Andrew Courtney, Scott Langdon and David Rutherford have been named Alternate Captains.
"We are very excited to announce our team captains," said Richard Matvichuk, Head Coach & Director of Hockey Operations. "We have a great group of leaders on this team. Our group of five captains have experienced success at all levels and will command respect as leaders for this club."
Thinel, 33, will be wearing the 'C' on his sweater for the fourth consecutive season. The St. Jerome, Quebec native has played 196 games with the Mavericks winning the Central Hockey League Most Valuable Player award after the 2012-13 campaign. The six-time all-star has played 726 career professional games.
Bembridge, 33, will wear an 'A' on home ice for the Mavs. The veteran forward is coming off an MVP season with the Denver Cutthroats in the CHL that saw him score 42 goals with 62 assists. The Saskatoon, Saskatchewan native has played in 739 pro games including 244 games in the American Hockey League.
Courtney, 29, will also wear an 'A' on home ice for the Mavs. The forward is entering his fifth season in Missouri playing in 176 career games as a member of the Mavericks roster. Last season, the Belleville, Ontario native set a franchise record with 34 goals, to go along with 34 assists.
Langdon, 29, will wear an 'A' during road games for the Mavericks. The defenseman has played in 247 career ECHL games seeing action with Reading, San Francisco, South Carolina and Stockton. The Ancaster, Ontario native served as the Team Captain in San Francisco for two seasons.
Rutherford, 27, will be the youngest of the Mavs group of Captains and he will join Langdon wearing the 'A' for road contests. The forward has played in 177 career ECHL games seeing action with Charlotte, Phoenix, Florida and Orlando. The Ladner, British Columbia native was a member of the 2007-08 Spokane Chiefs Western Hockey League Championship team and eventual Memorial Cup Championship team.
Missouri begins their first season in the ECHL on Friday night in Indy against the Fuel and their home opener is slated for Saturday, November 8 against the Rapid City Rush at Independence Events Center.
Visit www.missourimavericks.com for more information.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from October 24, 2014
- Battochio's Shutout Stuns Mallards at Home - Rapid City Rush
- Grizzlies Beat Colorado 3-2 at Maverik Center - Utah Grizzlies
- Fuel Pull into Victory Lane, Top Mavs 5-1 - Indy Fuel
- Royals Bag First Win with Wild Shootout in Elmira, 6-5 - Reading Royals
- Fuel Pull into Victory Lane, Top Mavs 5-1 - Indy Fuel
- Guggenberger Blanks Nailers, 5-0 - Atlanta Gladiators
- Oilers Offense Explodes in 9-6 Victory over Americans - Tulsa Oilers
- Toledo Walleye Spoil Brampton Beast's ECHL Debut - Brampton Beast
- Komets slip past K-Wings in overtime - Kalamazoo Wings
- Mavericks Fall 5-1 to Indy Fuel in Season-Opener - Kansas City Mavericks
- Mallards Blanked by Rush in Inaugural ECHL Opener - Quad City Mallards
- Battochio's Shut Out Stuns Mallards At Home - Rapid City Rush
- Solar Bears Shine in 5-1 Win over Everblades - Florida Everblades
- Guggenberger, Gladiators Blank Wheeling, 5-0 - Wheeling Nailers
- Malcolm Blanks 'Rays in Home Opener Win - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Stingrays Fall Short against Road Warriors 3-0 - South Carolina Stingrays
- October 31st Game Time Changed - Rapid City Rush
- Nick McParland Joins Rush in a Trade - Rapid City Rush
- Countdown to Face-Off: K-Wings vs Komets - Kalamazoo Wings
- Condors vs. Idaho - Tonight School Kit Giveaway - Bakersfield Condors
- Register Returns to Ontario from AHL Tryout - Ontario Reign
- ECHL Transactions - October 24 - ECHL
- Opening Night Kicking off with Annual Block Party - Wichita Thunder
- K-Wings Roster Changes Hours before Home Opener - Kalamazoo Wings
- Matt MacKenzie Reassigned from Rochester - Elmira Jackals
- Gameday: Thunder Kick off Military Appreciation Weekend - Stockton Thunder
- Bunz Reassigned to OKC; Reum Added to Blueline - Wichita Thunder
- Mavericks Announce Team Captains - Kansas City Mavericks
- Preview: Home Opener Tonight vs. South Carolina - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Game Preview: Elmira Jackals vs. Reading Royals - Elmira Jackals
- Tulsa Oilers Game Day Preview - Tulsa Oilers
- Nailers at Gladiators Game Day Snap Shot - Wheeling Nailers
- Defenseman Frankie Simonelli Recalled to Providence - South Carolina Stingrays
- Bell Loaned to IceMen by Devils - Evansville IceMen
- Winterfest Adrian V US 18 Tickets on Sale - Toledo Walleye
- Preview: Gladiators Host Nailers in Home Opener - Atlanta Gladiators
- Royals on the Road: at Elmira Jackals (Friday, October 24) - Reading Royals
- Stingrays Game Preview: Stingrays and Road Warriors Renew In-State Rivalry Tonight - South Carolina Stingrays
- ECHL Today - October 24 - ECHL
- Condors Double Down on Aces, 6-3 - Bakersfield Condors
- Archambault leads Aces offense with goal, assist in 6-3 loss - Alaska Aces
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Kansas City Mavericks Stories
- Mavs Finish Three-In-Three Weekend with Loss in Wichita
- Mavericks Extend Winning Streak to Four with Commanding 5-1 Win over Fort Wayne
- Mavs Take Third Straight against Thunder with Stifling 4-1 Win
- Mavs Monday: KC Makes Headway with Weekend Sweep in Wichita
- Mavericks Teddy Bear Toss this Saturday