Manitoba Moose Weekly: March 2, 2020
WEEK IN REVIEW
Saturday, February 29: Manitoba 3 vs. Chicago 2 - OT
The Moose claimed a 3-2 overtime victory against the Chicago Wolves on Saturday afternoon. The Wolves opened the scoring in the first period to gain the early one-goal lead. Kristian Reichel and JC Lipon scored a goal each in the first 5:15 of the third frame to make the score 2-1 in favour of the Moose. Paul Cotter scored the equalizer for the Wolves and sent the game to overtime. Just 50 seconds into extra time, Leon Gawanke scored the game-winning goal for Manitoba.
Sunday, March 1: Manitoba 4 vs. Chicago 3 - OT
Manitoba edged the Chicago Wolves 4-3 in overtime on Sunday afternoon. The clubs exchanged goals in the first period with Seth Griffith collecting the tally for Manitoba. Midway through the second frame, the Wolves posted two shorthanded goals and improved Chicago's lead to 3-1. The Moose responded as Kristian Vesalainen and Leon Gawanke scored a goal each to tie the game. With 1:32 off the clock in overtime, Cameron Schilling sent a backdoor pass to C.J. Suess who found the back of the net and won the game for Manitoba.
vs. Iowa Wild** Saturday, March 7 6:00 p.m. CT
vs. Iowa Wild** Sunday, March 8 2:00 p.m. CT
*Broadcast on moosehockey.com
**Broadcast on TSN 1290 and moosehockey.com
The Moose take on the Iowa Wild in back-to-back matchups on Saturday and Sunday at Bell MTS Place. Puck drop for Saturday's matchup is scheduled for 6 p.m. while Sunday's game is scheduled for 2 p.m. Saturday's contest is Manitoba's Gender Equality Game. The Sunday matchup features a Logan Stanley bobblehead giveaway for the first 3,000 fans in attendance. Tickets are available at MooseHockey.com/TICKETS.
# PLAYER GP G A PTS PIM +/-
17 Seth Griffith 56 21 20 41 26 -11
26 Jansen Harkins* 30 7 24 31 28 4
34 JC Lipon 59 13 17 30 100 -1
13 Kristian Vesalainen 58 11 17 28 10 -17
25 C.J. Suess 55 14 13 27 28 -5
# GOALIE RECORD GAA SV% SO
40 Mikhail Berdin 20-20-1 2.89 .910 2
1 Eric Comrie 9-9-0 2.55 .915 1 *On NHL roster
After not recording a win when trailing after two periods until their 47th game of the season, the Moose have now accomplished the feat four times. Three of those comebacks have accounted for their last three victories. All four comeback wins have required extra time with a 5-4 shootout wins in Rockford (Jan. 31) and Laval (Feb. 21), then 4-3 and 3-2 overtime victories against Chicago over the weekend. With their four come from behind wins, the Moose are now tied for seventh in the AHL in that category. With their sixth overtime win of the season, the Moose are tied for the third-most wins in the extra frame in the league. That is despite going to overtime the third-least in the AHL this season, just nine times.
Rookie defenceman Leon Gawanke was a clutch performer for the Moose this weekend. Gawanke scored the overtime winner on Saturday and followed it up with a power play goal in the third period to force overtime on Sunday. He also added an assist in the victory to push his season total to 25 points (4G, 21A). Gawanke leads Moose rookies and defencemen in points, and ranks second on the team in assists. The Berlin, Ger. native is also third on the Moose (over 30 games played) with 0.53 points per game on the campaign. Gawanke is seventh among rookie defenders in points and eighth in assists.
The Winnipeg Jets reassigned forward C.J. Suess and defenceman Nelson Nogier to the Moose prior to their game on Sunday. The return posted early dividends as both were able to join the Moose lineup for the contest. The Moose fully benefited from having Suess back in the lineup in overtime as the forward scored the winner 1:32 into the extra frame. The goal was Suess' 14th of the season as the Forest Lake, Minn. continues to rank second on the club in goals and fifth with 27 points. Nogier recorded one shot on goal in Sunday's win. The Saskatoon, Sask. product has nine points (1G, 8A) on the season, already matching his 74-game total from the 2018-19 season.
Climbing the Ladder
JC Lipon played his 450th AHL game on Sunday. The veteran forward recently moved into third on the franchise list for games played. On Saturday, Lipon scored the 80th of his career with the Moose/IceCaps. The tally pulled him even with Lee Goren for fifth on the franchise's all-time goal list. The two are also tied for the most goals by a right winger in franchise history. Lipon already sits atop the leaderboard for assists and points by a right winger and ranks third in franchise scoring with 221 points (80G, 141A).
Seth Griffith posted a five-point performance (1G, 4A) during Manitoba's back-to-back victories against the Chicago Wolves this past weekend. The forward recorded four of those points (1G, 3A) on Sunday, marking his second four-point game of the 2019-20 season. During his AHL career, Griffith has collected four points during a game on four different occasions. His career high multi-point performance stands at five points which he has posted on four occasions. Griffith paces the Moose with 21 goals and 41 points during the 2019-20 campaign.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from March 2, 2020
- Roadrunners Weekly: March 2 - Tucson Roadrunners
- Brodzinski Scores Twice in Barracuda OT Win - San Jose Barracuda
- Iowa Falls 2-1 in Overtime to San Jose - Iowa Wild
- Los Angeles Kings Reassign Daniel Brickley to Moose - Manitoba Moose
- Chicago Wolves Insider: Six-Game Homestand - Chicago Wolves
- Ontario Reign Announce Roster Moves - Ontario Reign
- Marlies Visit the Lone Star State for Monday Meeting with Stars - Toronto Marlies
- Amerks Weekly - Rochester Americans
- Manitoba Moose Weekly: March 2, 2020 - Manitoba Moose
- Wolf Pack Weekly, March 2-8 - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Sound Tigers Acquire Broadhurst, Lacroix from Charlotte - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Springfield Thunderbirds to Host Sensory-Friendly Game on Sunday, March 8 - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Bears Recall Whitney from South Carolina - Hershey Bears
- Max Comtois Named CCM/AHL Rookie of the Month - San Diego Gulls
- Kaapo Kahkonen Named CCM/AHL Goaltender of the Month for February - Iowa Wild
- Norris Named CCM/AHL Player of the Month for February - Belleville Senators
- Norris, Comtois, Kahkonen Named CCM/AHL Award Winners for February - AHL
- Charlotte's Morgan Geekie Named CCM/AHL Player of the Week - Charlotte Checkers
- Charlotte's Morgan Geekie Named CCM/AHL Player of the Week - AHL
- Forward Jesse Yloen to Join Laval Rocket for the Remainder of the 2019-20 Season - Laval Rocket
- Gustavsson Recalled by Ottawa - Belleville Senators
- Monsters Weekly - Cleveland Monsters
- Tucson Wraps Up California Weekend With Win In Bakersfield - Tucson Roadrunners
- Condors Rally Thwarted by Tucson, 3-2 - Bakersfield Condors
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.