Kaapo Kahkonen Named CCM/AHL Goaltender of the Month for February
DES MOINES, IOWA - Iowa Wild, in conjunction with the American Hockey League (AHL), announced today Kaapo Kahkonen was named the CCM/AHL Goaltender of the Month for February after he posted an 8-1-0 record and led the league in nearly every goaltending category.
Kahkonen only allowed 11 goals on 267 shots in nine starts in February, going 8-1-0 with a 1.22 goals against average, a .959 save percentage and four shutouts, all of which were the best in the league among qualified goaltenders.
Kahkonen's month started with five consecutive victories, pushing his franchise-long win streak to seven games. The Stockholm, Sweden native opened February with a 19-save shutout on Feb. 5 vs. San Antonio and then earned a 36-save, 5-2 victory against Stockton on Feb. 8 and a 2-1 victory vs. San Antonio on Feb. 11, where he made 31 saves on 32 shots. Kahkonen tied his own win streak record with his sixth consecutive victory in a 3-0, 35-save shutout of San Diego on Feb. 14 and then set a new standard on Feb. 19 at Milwaukee in a 3-2 victory.
Kahkonen's lone loss came in a 4-3 defeat in Texas on Feb. 21, but he followed it up with a 30-save shutout against the Stars the following day. In his final home start of the month, Kahkonen stopped 21 of 23 shots against Chicago in a 5-2 victory on Feb. 25, setting the Wild's franchise record for single-season wins by a netminder with his 24th victory of the year and then he closed February with his fourth shutout of the month, making 35 saves in a 2-0 victory at Stockton on Feb. 29.
A fourth-round pick by Minnesota in the 2014 NHL Entry Draft, Kahkonen has a 25-6-2 record with a 2.08 goals against average, .927 save percentage and seven shutouts. He ranks first in the league in shutouts and wins, and fourth in goals against average and save percentage.
Kahkonen is the second Wild player this season to earn a monthly AHL award (other: Gerry Mayhew, CCM/AHL Player of the Month - January) and becomes the first repeat monthly award winner in team history, previously being named the CCM/AHL Goaltender of the Month for November 2018. Kahkonen will be presented with an etched crystal award prior to an upcoming home game in recognition of his achievement.
The Iowa Wild 2019-20 regular season is presented by MercyOne Des Moines Medical Center and runs from October through April. For more information, please contact the Wild office by calling 515-564-8700 or by visiting www.iowawild.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from March 2, 2020
- Roadrunners Weekly: March 2 - Tucson Roadrunners
- Brodzinski Scores Twice in Barracuda OT Win - San Jose Barracuda
- Iowa Falls 2-1 in Overtime to San Jose - Iowa Wild
- Los Angeles Kings Reassign Daniel Brickley to Moose - Manitoba Moose
- Chicago Wolves Insider: Six-Game Homestand - Chicago Wolves
- Ontario Reign Announce Roster Moves - Ontario Reign
- Marlies Visit the Lone Star State for Monday Meeting with Stars - Toronto Marlies
- Amerks Weekly - Rochester Americans
- Manitoba Moose Weekly: March 2, 2020 - Manitoba Moose
- Wolf Pack Weekly, March 2-8 - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Sound Tigers Acquire Broadhurst, Lacroix from Charlotte - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Springfield Thunderbirds to Host Sensory-Friendly Game on Sunday, March 8 - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Bears Recall Whitney from South Carolina - Hershey Bears
- Max Comtois Named CCM/AHL Rookie of the Month - San Diego Gulls
- Kaapo Kahkonen Named CCM/AHL Goaltender of the Month for February - Iowa Wild
- Norris Named CCM/AHL Player of the Month for February - Belleville Senators
- Norris, Comtois, Kahkonen Named CCM/AHL Award Winners for February - AHL
- Charlotte's Morgan Geekie Named CCM/AHL Player of the Week - Charlotte Checkers
- Charlotte's Morgan Geekie Named CCM/AHL Player of the Week - AHL
- Forward Jesse Yloen to Join Laval Rocket for the Remainder of the 2019-20 Season - Laval Rocket
- Gustavsson Recalled by Ottawa - Belleville Senators
- Monsters Weekly - Cleveland Monsters
- Tucson Wraps Up California Weekend With Win In Bakersfield - Tucson Roadrunners
- Condors Rally Thwarted by Tucson, 3-2 - Bakersfield Condors
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.