Charlotte's Morgan Geekie Named CCM/AHL Player of the Week
SPRINGFIELD, Mass. ... The American Hockey League announced today that Charlotte Checkers forward Morgan Geekie has been selected as the CCM/AHL Player of the Week for the period ending March 1, 2020.
Geekie registered four goals and seven points in four road games last week as the Checkers continued to battle for position in the Atlantic Division playoff race.
Geekie scored Charlotte's only goal in a loss at Hershey on Tuesday, and picked up an assist in back-to-back games at Lehigh Valley on Friday and Saturday. He finished the week by notching his first career hat trick and setting a personal best with four points as the Checkers took a 6-3 decision in Hershey on Sunday evening.
A second-year pro from Strathclair, Man., Geekie has recorded 22 goals and 21 assists for 43 points in 54 games with Charlotte this season. As a rookie in 2018-19, Geekie tallied 46 points in 73 regular-season contests before adding 18 points in 19 playoff games as the Checkers captured the Calder Cup championship. Geekie was a third-round selection by the Carolina Hurricanes in the 2017 NHL Draft.
In recognition of being named the CCM/AHL Player of the Week, Geekie will be presented with an etched crystal award prior to an upcoming Checkers home game.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from March 2, 2020
- Roadrunners Weekly: March 2 - Tucson Roadrunners
- Brodzinski Scores Twice in Barracuda OT Win - San Jose Barracuda
- Iowa Falls 2-1 in Overtime to San Jose - Iowa Wild
- Los Angeles Kings Reassign Daniel Brickley to Moose - Manitoba Moose
- Chicago Wolves Insider: Six-Game Homestand - Chicago Wolves
- Ontario Reign Announce Roster Moves - Ontario Reign
- Marlies Visit the Lone Star State for Monday Meeting with Stars - Toronto Marlies
- Amerks Weekly - Rochester Americans
- Manitoba Moose Weekly: March 2, 2020 - Manitoba Moose
- Wolf Pack Weekly, March 2-8 - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Sound Tigers Acquire Broadhurst, Lacroix from Charlotte - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Springfield Thunderbirds to Host Sensory-Friendly Game on Sunday, March 8 - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Bears Recall Whitney from South Carolina - Hershey Bears
- Max Comtois Named CCM/AHL Rookie of the Month - San Diego Gulls
- Kaapo Kahkonen Named CCM/AHL Goaltender of the Month for February - Iowa Wild
- Norris Named CCM/AHL Player of the Month for February - Belleville Senators
- Norris, Comtois, Kahkonen Named CCM/AHL Award Winners for February - AHL
- Charlotte's Morgan Geekie Named CCM/AHL Player of the Week - Charlotte Checkers
- Charlotte's Morgan Geekie Named CCM/AHL Player of the Week - AHL
- Forward Jesse Yloen to Join Laval Rocket for the Remainder of the 2019-20 Season - Laval Rocket
- Gustavsson Recalled by Ottawa - Belleville Senators
- Monsters Weekly - Cleveland Monsters
- Tucson Wraps Up California Weekend With Win In Bakersfield - Tucson Roadrunners
- Condors Rally Thwarted by Tucson, 3-2 - Bakersfield Condors
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.