Iowa Falls 2-1 in Overtime to San Jose
SAN JOSE, CALIF. - Iowa Wild (36-16-4-3; 79 pts.) suffered its first overtime defeat since January as the team fell to the San Jose Barracuda (18-27-4-2; 42 pts.) by a score of 2-1 Monday afternoon.
San Jose took a 1-0 lead just 29 seconds into the contest as forward Jonny Brodzinski netted his ninth of the season. Forward Maxim Letunov took a shot and goaltender Kaapo Kahkonen (25 saves) made a left-pad save, but the rebound went right to Brodzinski in the slot and he knocked the puck into the empty net for the score.
Through the first 20 minutes of play, Iowa trailed 1-0 despite a 15-12 shot lead.
Iowa knotted the game at 1-1 as forward Sam Anas scored his 19th goal of the season at 9:19 in the second period. With the Wild on the power play, forward Connor Dewar forced a turnover in the corner and kicked a pass out to Anas inside the right circle. Anas then one-timed a shot over the glove of goaltender Josef Korenar (42 saves) to reclaim the AHL's scoring lead with his 64th point (19g, 45a) this season.
Heading into the third period, the game was tied at 1-1 and Iowa held a 26-23 shot advantage.
Iowa outshot San Jose 15-3 in the third period but neither team scored in stanza, forcing the game to overtime. At 3:20 in the extra frame, Brodzinski cut across the slot and lofted a shot over Kahkonen's right shoulder for the 2-1 victory. The tally gave Brodzinski his first multi-goal game since March 18, 2018.
Iowa finished the contest outshooting San Jose 43-27. Iowa went 1-for-5 on the power play and 3-for-3 on the penalty kill.
The Wild and Barracuda will rematch Wednesday evening at SAP Center, with puck drop scheduled for 9:00 p.m. CT.
The Iowa Wild 2019-20 regular season is presented by MercyOne Des Moines Medical Center and runs from October through April. For more information, please contact the Wild office by calling 515-564-8700 or by visiting www.iowawild.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from March 2, 2020
- Roadrunners Weekly: March 2 - Tucson Roadrunners
- Brodzinski Scores Twice in Barracuda OT Win - San Jose Barracuda
- Iowa Falls 2-1 in Overtime to San Jose - Iowa Wild
- Los Angeles Kings Reassign Daniel Brickley to Moose - Manitoba Moose
- Chicago Wolves Insider: Six-Game Homestand - Chicago Wolves
- Ontario Reign Announce Roster Moves - Ontario Reign
- Marlies Visit the Lone Star State for Monday Meeting with Stars - Toronto Marlies
- Amerks Weekly - Rochester Americans
- Manitoba Moose Weekly: March 2, 2020 - Manitoba Moose
- Wolf Pack Weekly, March 2-8 - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Sound Tigers Acquire Broadhurst, Lacroix from Charlotte - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Springfield Thunderbirds to Host Sensory-Friendly Game on Sunday, March 8 - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Bears Recall Whitney from South Carolina - Hershey Bears
- Max Comtois Named CCM/AHL Rookie of the Month - San Diego Gulls
- Kaapo Kahkonen Named CCM/AHL Goaltender of the Month for February - Iowa Wild
- Norris Named CCM/AHL Player of the Month for February - Belleville Senators
- Norris, Comtois, Kahkonen Named CCM/AHL Award Winners for February - AHL
- Charlotte's Morgan Geekie Named CCM/AHL Player of the Week - Charlotte Checkers
- Charlotte's Morgan Geekie Named CCM/AHL Player of the Week - AHL
- Forward Jesse Yloen to Join Laval Rocket for the Remainder of the 2019-20 Season - Laval Rocket
- Gustavsson Recalled by Ottawa - Belleville Senators
- Monsters Weekly - Cleveland Monsters
- Tucson Wraps Up California Weekend With Win In Bakersfield - Tucson Roadrunners
- Condors Rally Thwarted by Tucson, 3-2 - Bakersfield Condors
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.