Lopez Homers in Homestand Opener
FORT WAYNE, Ind. - The last homestand of the 2019 season at Parkview Field started in forgettable fashion, as the South Bend Cubs (Chicago Cubs affiliate) rapped out 17 hits en route to a 13-4 win over the TinCaps on Wednesday night at Parkview Field.
South Bend (36-28, 73-59) raced out to an 8-0 lead after two innings, scoring the eight runs via seven hits.
Fort Wayne (28-37, 61-72) scored a run in the third when Jawuan Harris tripled and came home to score on a Tucupita Marcano RBI groundout. Harris now has hits in nine consecutive games, equaling his longest hitting streak of the season. During that time, he has six extra-base hits (three doubles, two triples, and a home run).
The Cubs made it 9-1 in the fourth, but the 'Caps crept closer via a three-run home run by Justin Lopez in the sixth. Lopez, the 19-year-old, leads the TinCaps with 12 home runs this season. He also has 21 games with two or more RBIs this season.
South Bend put the game away with four runs in the top of the seventh. Nelson Velazquez provided the finishing touch with a three-run triple - he finished the game 4-for-6 with five RBIs.
Dwanya Williams-Sutton pounded out two singles in the game - "DWS" has two or more hits in consecutive games for the second time this season. The outfielder had three straight multi-hit games from July 24-26.
Thursday, Aug. 29 vs. South Bend (7:05 p.m.)
- TinCaps Probable Starter: LHP Jesus Gonzalez
- Cubs Probable Starter: RHP Riley Thompson
Watch: Comcast Network 81 & MiLB.TV
Listen: ESPN Radio 1380 & 100.9 FM | TinCapsRadio.com | TuneIn
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from August 28, 2019
- Cubs Take Step Closer to Playoffs with 13-4 Win over TinCaps - South Bend Cubs
- Stellar Pitching, Four-Run 10th Propel Captains - Lake County Captains
- Four-run Seventh Lifts Chiefs Over Snappers - Peoria Chiefs
- Abreu's Walkoff Double Beats Kane County 3-2 - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Beloit falls 9-5 in final road opener of the year - Beloit Snappers
- Jump for Joy - LumberKings are Playoff Bound - Clinton LumberKings
- Bees Shutout By Playoff-Clinching LumberKings - Burlington Bees
- Lugnuts Continue Dominance of Whitecaps - Lansing Lugnuts
- Hot Rods Fall 5-1 in 10 Innings to Open Series - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Celebration Stalled: Wisconsin Walks off on Cougars - Kane County Cougars
- Kernels Win 1-0 with Another Walk-Off - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Lopez Homers in Homestand Opener - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- River Bandits Drop Heartbreaker for Second Straight Night - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Schuyler Home Run, Big Double Plays Key Dragons 5-3 Win in Midland - Dayton Dragons
- Camels Can't Get over Hump - Great Lakes Loons
- MWL Post-Season All-Star Closer Finfrock Promoted to Dunedin - Lansing Lugnuts
- Giveaways abound in LumberKings final homestand in 2019 - Clinton LumberKings
- TinCaps Game Notes: August 28 vs. South Bend (Game 133) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Classic Park in Eastlake to Host Free Movie Nights & College Football Watch Party Starting September 14 - Lake County Captains
- Postponed Game at Bowling Green Could be Made up in South Bend on Monday - South Bend Cubs
- Jesus Gonzalez Joins TinCaps as Martinez Departs - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dragons Notes for Wednesday - Dayton Dragons
- The South Bend Cubs to Play Their Last Three Regular Season Games over Labor Day Weekend - South Bend Cubs
- Whitecaps Blanked in 2019 Home Finale - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Loons Outlast Lugnuts - Great Lakes Loons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.