TinCaps Game Notes: August 28 vs. South Bend (Game 133)
Fort Wayne TinCaps (27-37, 60-72) vs. South Bend Cubs (35-28, 72-59)
LHP Cullen Dana vs. RHP Zach Mort
Wednesday, Aug. 28 - Parkview Field (Fort Wayne, Ind.) - First Pitch 7:05 PM (Game 133 / 138)
WATCH: John Nolan & Brett Rump (Comcast Network 81 & MiLB.TV)
LISTEN: Mike Maahs & Evan Stockton (ESPN Radio 1380 & 100.9 FM | TinCapsRadio.com | TuneIn)
LAST NIGHT: Efraín Contreras, Ramon Perez, Dylan Coleman, and Henry Henry teamed up for a 1-0 TinCaps shutout win at West Michigan. The game's only run came in the 5th as Jawuan Harris had an RBI single.
WALK & RUN: Center fielder Jawuan Harris is on an 8-game hitting streak and 12-game on-base streak. Over the last 8 games, Harris is 12-for-30 (.400) with 3 doubles, a triple, a homer, and 4 RBIs. Harris' OBP for those 8 games is .486... For the season, he ranks 3rd in the MWL in stolen bases with 29. Harris ranks 8th in walks (58).
MAKING HIS MARK: Infielder Tucupita Marcano made SportsCenter last Monday for a behind-the-back flip to second base for a force-out against Bowling Green. It was No. 4 on Top 10 Plays... Marcano has the 6th most hits in the MWL (119). He also has the 2nd lowest K% (9%) and 3rd lowest swinging strike% (4%). With 33 walks against only 45 strikeouts, his BB/K ratio (0.73) ranks 6th.
HOT CURRY: Left fielder/DH Michael Curry has been one of the best hitters in the league since Memorial Day Weekend. In 70 games since May 26, Curry's .868 OPS ranks 3rd in the MWL. His .310 AVG ranks 2nd, .399 OBP is also 3rd, his .469 SLG is 6th.
DWS, OBP: Outfielder Dwanya Williams-Sutton leads the MWL in OBP (.407)... He also leads the league in HBP (30), setting a single-season franchise record. That includes being hit by 4 pitches in a game against Cedar Rapids on July 22 (which tied a MiLB record; it's never happened before in a MLB game). The previous franchise record for HBP in a season was 23... Williams-Sutton ranks 3rd in the MWL in BB% (14%)... His wRC+ of 132 is 3rd in the league among active players.
JUST INFORMATION: Over his last 32 games (since July 21), infielder Justin Lopez has slashed .290/.333/.435 (.768 OPS) with 9 doubles, 3 homers, and 18 RBIs... Lopez, 19, is 1 of only 4 teens in the MWL with 11 home runs this year. The others are Lansing catcher Gabriel Moreno, the No. 9 Blue Jays prospect, Burlington infielder Kevin Maitan, the No. 24 Angels prospect, and No. 5 Indians prospect Bo Naylor.
SKEND IT IN: Since he debuted for the TinCaps on July 14, third baseman Ethan Skender is tied for 9th in the MWL in RBIs with 24. His .289 average ranks 15th.
RUIZ BATTED IN: Outfielder Agustin Ruiz, 19, ranks 12th in the MWL in RBIs with 55. The only teenagers in the league with more are No. 5 Indians prospect Bo Naylor and No. 6 Cubs prospect Cole Roederer. Ruiz is also 14th in the league in doubles with 23.
IN CONTROL: TinCaps pitchers have issued the fewest walks in the MWL this season, averaging just 2.9 per 9 innings. Fort Wayne also has the best ratio of strikeouts to walks (3.11).
BEST IN THE MIDWEST: On Friday the Midwest League announced Joey Cantillo as the Left-Handed Pitcher of the Year and Xavier Edwards as the Second Baseman of the Year. Both have been promoted by the Padres to High-A Lake Elsinore... In a Baseball America survey of league managers, Cantillo was voted to have the "Best Changeup," Edwards was elected "Best Defensive Second Baseman," and Justin Lopez won "Best Infield Arm."
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from August 28, 2019
- Cubs Take Step Closer to Playoffs with 13-4 Win over TinCaps - South Bend Cubs
- Stellar Pitching, Four-Run 10th Propel Captains - Lake County Captains
- Four-run Seventh Lifts Chiefs Over Snappers - Peoria Chiefs
- Abreu's Walkoff Double Beats Kane County 3-2 - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Beloit falls 9-5 in final road opener of the year - Beloit Snappers
- Jump for Joy - LumberKings are Playoff Bound - Clinton LumberKings
- Bees Shutout By Playoff-Clinching LumberKings - Burlington Bees
- Lugnuts Continue Dominance of Whitecaps - Lansing Lugnuts
- Hot Rods Fall 5-1 in 10 Innings to Open Series - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Celebration Stalled: Wisconsin Walks off on Cougars - Kane County Cougars
- Kernels Win 1-0 with Another Walk-Off - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Lopez Homers in Homestand Opener - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- River Bandits Drop Heartbreaker for Second Straight Night - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Schuyler Home Run, Big Double Plays Key Dragons 5-3 Win in Midland - Dayton Dragons
- Camels Can't Get over Hump - Great Lakes Loons
- MWL Post-Season All-Star Closer Finfrock Promoted to Dunedin - Lansing Lugnuts
- Giveaways abound in LumberKings final homestand in 2019 - Clinton LumberKings
- TinCaps Game Notes: August 28 vs. South Bend (Game 133) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Classic Park in Eastlake to Host Free Movie Nights & College Football Watch Party Starting September 14 - Lake County Captains
- Postponed Game at Bowling Green Could be Made up in South Bend on Monday - South Bend Cubs
- Jesus Gonzalez Joins TinCaps as Martinez Departs - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dragons Notes for Wednesday - Dayton Dragons
- The South Bend Cubs to Play Their Last Three Regular Season Games over Labor Day Weekend - South Bend Cubs
- Whitecaps Blanked in 2019 Home Finale - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Loons Outlast Lugnuts - Great Lakes Loons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Fort Wayne TinCaps Stories
- Padres Announce 2020 TinCaps Coaching Staff
- TinCaps Auctioning Jerseys Worn by Team
- Extended Hours for the Orchard Team Store at Parkview Field During Holiday Season
- Update on 2019 HolidayFest "Night of Lights"
- TinCaps Opening Day 2020 Tickets on Sale for Holiday Season