Camels Can't Get over Hump
MIDLAND, Mich. - There was plenty of offense on display at Dow Diamond to begin the final homestand of the regular season. Unfortunately for the Great Lakes Camels, it wasn't in their favor as the Dayton Dragons took the series-opener 5-3 on Wednesday night.
Both teams combined for 10 extra-base hits in the game (six Camels, four Dragons) and included a 3-for-4 performance from Sam McWilliams out of the nine-spot in the lineup, with all three of his hits being doubles. Those three two-baggers tied the franchise record for most doubles in a game.
However, it was two runs in the 2nd inning and two more in the 3rd from Dayton that proved to be the difference. Those runs, charged to Jose Chacin (L, 11-8), aren't indicative of the type of night the Camels starter had. He had only gone that deep in a game one other time, June 30 against the Fort Wayne TinCaps when he threw 8.0 innings. Chacin scattered five runs on eight hits, but lasted 7.0 innings while walking just one batter.
Joel Inoa came in to relieve Chacin and was excellent down the stretch allowing one baserunner with four strikeouts over the final two frames.
Romer Cuadrado and Dan Robinson each had multi-hit nights for the Camels (79-53) with Robinson collecting one of the team's six doubles. Two double plays reduced multiple threats with Great Lakes at the plate, along with leaving nine runners on base.
Just two home games remain before the Loons head to Lake County for an extended stay. They'll face the Captains over Labor Day Weekend to close out the regular season, spend the off day on Tuesday in Ohio in preparation for Game 1 of the Midwest League Eastern Division Semifinals a week from today.
Aug 29: Hockey Night w/ the Saginaw Spirit
Aug 30: Hat Giveaway
Sept 5: Midwest League Playoffs - Game 2 vs. Lake County Captains
The Great Lakes Camels have been the Single-A partner of the Los Angeles Dodgers since the team's inception in 2007. Dow Diamond serves as the team's home and also houses the Michigan Baseball Foundation, a 501(c)(3) non-profit public charity, and ESPN 100.9-FM. For tickets or information about the Loons, call 989-837-BALL or visit Loons.com.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from August 28, 2019
- Cubs Take Step Closer to Playoffs with 13-4 Win over TinCaps - South Bend Cubs
- Stellar Pitching, Four-Run 10th Propel Captains - Lake County Captains
- Four-run Seventh Lifts Chiefs Over Snappers - Peoria Chiefs
- Abreu's Walkoff Double Beats Kane County 3-2 - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Beloit falls 9-5 in final road opener of the year - Beloit Snappers
- Jump for Joy - LumberKings are Playoff Bound - Clinton LumberKings
- Bees Shutout By Playoff-Clinching LumberKings - Burlington Bees
- Lugnuts Continue Dominance of Whitecaps - Lansing Lugnuts
- Hot Rods Fall 5-1 in 10 Innings to Open Series - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Celebration Stalled: Wisconsin Walks off on Cougars - Kane County Cougars
- Kernels Win 1-0 with Another Walk-Off - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Lopez Homers in Homestand Opener - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- River Bandits Drop Heartbreaker for Second Straight Night - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Schuyler Home Run, Big Double Plays Key Dragons 5-3 Win in Midland - Dayton Dragons
- Camels Can't Get over Hump - Great Lakes Loons
- MWL Post-Season All-Star Closer Finfrock Promoted to Dunedin - Lansing Lugnuts
- Giveaways abound in LumberKings final homestand in 2019 - Clinton LumberKings
- TinCaps Game Notes: August 28 vs. South Bend (Game 133) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Classic Park in Eastlake to Host Free Movie Nights & College Football Watch Party Starting September 14 - Lake County Captains
- Postponed Game at Bowling Green Could be Made up in South Bend on Monday - South Bend Cubs
- Jesus Gonzalez Joins TinCaps as Martinez Departs - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dragons Notes for Wednesday - Dayton Dragons
- The South Bend Cubs to Play Their Last Three Regular Season Games over Labor Day Weekend - South Bend Cubs
- Whitecaps Blanked in 2019 Home Finale - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Loons Outlast Lugnuts - Great Lakes Loons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.