Loons Outlast Lugnuts
LANSING, Mich. - In a battle between two of the best offensive teams in the Midwest League, it was the Loons who took three-of-four off the Lansing Lugnuts by winning the finale 12-9. In doing so, the Loons won the season series over Lansing eight games to seven.
In total, the Loons scored 33 runs in their four-game series against Lansing. Justin Yurchak went 11-for-19 with 22 total bases, Chris Roller went 6-for-12 with three doubles and Leonel Valera registered nine runs batted in going 6-for-18. The Loons are now on pace to pass the 2010 team for most runs in franchise history (719). The 2019 team is on pace for 724 runs and need 28 in their final six games to set the franchise mark.
On Tuesday night, the Loons win didn't come without adversity as by the end of the night they were left with no position-player reserves. Manager John Shoemaker and starting catcher Jair Camargo were both tossed in the fourth inning arguing a fair/foul ball by a Lansing hitter and center fielder James Outman was tossed along with second baseman Sam McWilliams arguing a called strike to Outman in the seventh.
Great Lakes still managed to score in six straight innings including a three-run third and a four-run fourth. McWilliams, Yurchak and Luke Heyer all went deep.
Mark Washington (W, 4-1) tossed two innings out of the bullpen. Cobi Johnson (L, 2-9) started for Lansing and allowed seven runs (four earned) in four innings.
The Loons return home on Wednesday still with a shot at winning the second-half Eastern Division title. They begin a three-game series against Dayton 3.5 games back of Bowling Green with six games left. Great Lakes plays as the Camels on Wednesday night for the final time in 2019. Gates open at Dow Diamond at 6 p.m. EDT for a 7:05 first pitch.
Aug 28: BINGO Night
Aug 29: Hockey Night w/ the Saginaw Spirit
Aug 30: Hat Giveaway and FIREWORKS!
Sept 5: Midwest League Playoffs vs. Lake County Captains
The Great Lakes Loons have been the Single-A partner of the Los Angeles Dodgers since the team's inception in 2007. Dow Diamond serves as the team's home and also houses the Michigan Baseball Foundation, a 501(c)(3) non-profit public charity, and ESPN 100.9-FM. For tickets or information about the Loons, call 989-837-BALL or visit Loons.com.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from August 28, 2019
- Cubs Take Step Closer to Playoffs with 13-4 Win over TinCaps - South Bend Cubs
- Stellar Pitching, Four-Run 10th Propel Captains - Lake County Captains
- Four-run Seventh Lifts Chiefs Over Snappers - Peoria Chiefs
- Abreu's Walkoff Double Beats Kane County 3-2 - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Beloit falls 9-5 in final road opener of the year - Beloit Snappers
- Jump for Joy - LumberKings are Playoff Bound - Clinton LumberKings
- Bees Shutout By Playoff-Clinching LumberKings - Burlington Bees
- Lugnuts Continue Dominance of Whitecaps - Lansing Lugnuts
- Hot Rods Fall 5-1 in 10 Innings to Open Series - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Celebration Stalled: Wisconsin Walks off on Cougars - Kane County Cougars
- Kernels Win 1-0 with Another Walk-Off - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Lopez Homers in Homestand Opener - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- River Bandits Drop Heartbreaker for Second Straight Night - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Schuyler Home Run, Big Double Plays Key Dragons 5-3 Win in Midland - Dayton Dragons
- Camels Can't Get over Hump - Great Lakes Loons
- MWL Post-Season All-Star Closer Finfrock Promoted to Dunedin - Lansing Lugnuts
- Giveaways abound in LumberKings final homestand in 2019 - Clinton LumberKings
- TinCaps Game Notes: August 28 vs. South Bend (Game 133) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Classic Park in Eastlake to Host Free Movie Nights & College Football Watch Party Starting September 14 - Lake County Captains
- Postponed Game at Bowling Green Could be Made up in South Bend on Monday - South Bend Cubs
- Jesus Gonzalez Joins TinCaps as Martinez Departs - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dragons Notes for Wednesday - Dayton Dragons
- The South Bend Cubs to Play Their Last Three Regular Season Games over Labor Day Weekend - South Bend Cubs
- Whitecaps Blanked in 2019 Home Finale - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Loons Outlast Lugnuts - Great Lakes Loons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.