Jump for Joy - LumberKings are Playoff Bound
BURLINGTON, IA - For the first time since 2016 the Clinton LumberKings are in the playoffs, clinching a berth with a 5-0 win over the Burlington Bees on Wednesday night at Community Field. Evan Edwards homered and the LumberKings (41-24) registered their eighth shutout win of the year to run a winning streak to five games.
Cole Duensing started for Burlington (27-38, 66-69) and cruised through his first three innings before Clinton scored the game's first runs in the top of the fourth.
Torres led of the initial rally with an infield single and scored on a Davis Bradshaw RBI triple to right. Peyton Burdick followed with an RBI groundout to cap the rally.
As it would turn out, the runs would be enough to hang Duensing (6-7) with the loss. He worked five innings allowing three runs on four hits while walking one and striking out four.
Evan Edwards add a run for the LumberKings in the top of the fifth. He blasted a long home run to right that sailed into the trees for his eighth of the year and third over his last four games.
In the seventh, Clinton added the final runs of the night with their second two-run rally of the game. J.D. Osborne walked and scored two batters later on a Thomas Jones RBI triple. Samuel Castro then drove home Jones with a single to right.
Three Clinton pitchers; Alberto Guerrero, Raul Brito, and Nathan Alexander combined to shutout the Bees. Guerrero (9-6) earned the win for a six-inning performance. He allowed no runs on six hits while walking three and striking out five.
Alexander worked the final two innings, retiring Adrian Rondon on a flyout to left that clinched the LumberKings first playoff appearance since 2016.
The LumberKings will meet the Burlington Bees for the second game of their three-game series on Thursday night. Clinton will throw righty Remey Reed (3-3, 3.74) while Burlington will tap righty Keith Rogalla (1-1, 3.20). First pitch is scheduled for 6:30 p.m. (CDT). Fans looking to listen to the game can hear Erik Oas with the pregame show on 6:15 p.m. with the pregame show on 100.3 FM WCCI and online at lumberkings.com via the tunein radio app.
BUY YOUR 2019 LUMBERKINGS PLAYOFF SHIRT HERE!
Playoff tickets will go on sale starting on Saturday with dates and times still pending.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from August 28, 2019
- Cubs Take Step Closer to Playoffs with 13-4 Win over TinCaps - South Bend Cubs
- Stellar Pitching, Four-Run 10th Propel Captains - Lake County Captains
- Four-run Seventh Lifts Chiefs Over Snappers - Peoria Chiefs
- Abreu's Walkoff Double Beats Kane County 3-2 - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Beloit falls 9-5 in final road opener of the year - Beloit Snappers
- Jump for Joy - LumberKings are Playoff Bound - Clinton LumberKings
- Bees Shutout By Playoff-Clinching LumberKings - Burlington Bees
- Lugnuts Continue Dominance of Whitecaps - Lansing Lugnuts
- Hot Rods Fall 5-1 in 10 Innings to Open Series - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Celebration Stalled: Wisconsin Walks off on Cougars - Kane County Cougars
- Kernels Win 1-0 with Another Walk-Off - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Lopez Homers in Homestand Opener - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- River Bandits Drop Heartbreaker for Second Straight Night - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Schuyler Home Run, Big Double Plays Key Dragons 5-3 Win in Midland - Dayton Dragons
- Camels Can't Get over Hump - Great Lakes Loons
- MWL Post-Season All-Star Closer Finfrock Promoted to Dunedin - Lansing Lugnuts
- Giveaways abound in LumberKings final homestand in 2019 - Clinton LumberKings
- TinCaps Game Notes: August 28 vs. South Bend (Game 133) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Classic Park in Eastlake to Host Free Movie Nights & College Football Watch Party Starting September 14 - Lake County Captains
- Postponed Game at Bowling Green Could be Made up in South Bend on Monday - South Bend Cubs
- Jesus Gonzalez Joins TinCaps as Martinez Departs - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dragons Notes for Wednesday - Dayton Dragons
- The South Bend Cubs to Play Their Last Three Regular Season Games over Labor Day Weekend - South Bend Cubs
- Whitecaps Blanked in 2019 Home Finale - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Loons Outlast Lugnuts - Great Lakes Loons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Clinton LumberKings Stories
- LumberKings to Host Blood Drive at NelsonCorp Field
- Curbside Concessions Going into Extra Innings
- Last Call for Curbside Concessions at NelsonCorp Field
- Purina celebrates PetCare Pride Day by partnering with Clinton LumberKings and Clausen
- Stockwells to Perform on September 5th