River Bandits Drop Heartbreaker for Second Straight Night
Cedar Rapids, IA - The Cedar Rapids Kernels walked off the Quad Cities River Bandits by a 1-0 score on Wednesday night at Perfect Game Field. The Kernels scored the only run of the game in the bottom of the ninth inning on a bases loaded single by Jared Akins. The River Bandits mustered just two hits, both singles, in the contest.
Spencer Steer opened the bottom of the ninth inning with the only extra-base hit of the game, a double into the left field corner off of reliever Jose Bravo. Gabe Snyder followed with a base hit into right field, but Steer was held at third base. Bravo hit Wander Javier with the first pitch of the next at bat to load the bases. After Matt Wallner flied to shallow center for the first out of the inning, Akins punched a base hit through the left side to send home the winning run.
Pitching was the story all night and the River Bandits (34-31, 77-54) received an incredible performance from their starting pitcher Brett Daniels. Daniels recorded a career-high 11 strikeouts in 6.0 scoreless innings of work. He did not allow a single baserunner until Daniel Ozoria singled to left with one out in the sixth inning. The 11 strikeouts from Daniels tied Austin Hansen for the most in a single game this season by a Bandits pitcher.
Cedar Rapids (35-30, 74-61) countered with impressive work by both Matt Canterino and Brian Rapp. Canterino tossed 5.0 scoreless innings and struck out seven River Bandits, but did not factor in the decision. Rapp worked 4.0 scoreless frames of his own and punched out three. Each Kernels pitcher allowed just one hit.
Bravo ended up taking the loss in the ninth after he worked out of a jam in the seventh and struck out the side in the eighth inning. The right-hander allowed one run on three hits in 2.1 innings.
The River Bandits and Kernels meet again on Thursday night at 6:35 p.m. LHP Jonathan Bermudez (5-1, 4.21) will start on the mound for the River Bandits. Cedar Rapids will counter with RHP Tyler Palm (3-9, 4.02).
All River Bandits games are broadcast on 1170 K-BOB and TuneIn Radio. Home games are also available with video on MiLB.TV.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from August 28, 2019
- Cubs Take Step Closer to Playoffs with 13-4 Win over TinCaps - South Bend Cubs
- Stellar Pitching, Four-Run 10th Propel Captains - Lake County Captains
- Four-run Seventh Lifts Chiefs Over Snappers - Peoria Chiefs
- Abreu's Walkoff Double Beats Kane County 3-2 - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Beloit falls 9-5 in final road opener of the year - Beloit Snappers
- Jump for Joy - LumberKings are Playoff Bound - Clinton LumberKings
- Bees Shutout By Playoff-Clinching LumberKings - Burlington Bees
- Lugnuts Continue Dominance of Whitecaps - Lansing Lugnuts
- Hot Rods Fall 5-1 in 10 Innings to Open Series - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Celebration Stalled: Wisconsin Walks off on Cougars - Kane County Cougars
- Kernels Win 1-0 with Another Walk-Off - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Lopez Homers in Homestand Opener - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- River Bandits Drop Heartbreaker for Second Straight Night - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Schuyler Home Run, Big Double Plays Key Dragons 5-3 Win in Midland - Dayton Dragons
- Camels Can't Get over Hump - Great Lakes Loons
- MWL Post-Season All-Star Closer Finfrock Promoted to Dunedin - Lansing Lugnuts
- Giveaways abound in LumberKings final homestand in 2019 - Clinton LumberKings
- TinCaps Game Notes: August 28 vs. South Bend (Game 133) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Classic Park in Eastlake to Host Free Movie Nights & College Football Watch Party Starting September 14 - Lake County Captains
- Postponed Game at Bowling Green Could be Made up in South Bend on Monday - South Bend Cubs
- Jesus Gonzalez Joins TinCaps as Martinez Departs - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dragons Notes for Wednesday - Dayton Dragons
- The South Bend Cubs to Play Their Last Three Regular Season Games over Labor Day Weekend - South Bend Cubs
- Whitecaps Blanked in 2019 Home Finale - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Loons Outlast Lugnuts - Great Lakes Loons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Quad Cities River Bandits Stories
- Movies at Modern Woodmen Park
- River Bandits and Genesis Team up on COVID-19 T-Shirt
- MiLB Season Suspended for 2020 and on Hiatus Until 2021
- River Bandits/Purina to Hold Pet Food Pantry at Modern Woodmen Park
- River Bandits/Genesis PPE Drive at Modern Woodmen Park