Celebration Stalled: Wisconsin Walks off on Cougars
Appleton, Wisconsin - The Kane County Cougars (76-58, 41-24) suffered a 3-2 walk-off loss against the Wisconsin Timber Rattlers (67-67, 36-29) on Wednesday night at Fox Cities Stadium. The Cougars dropped into a first-place tie with Clinton and the magic number for a playoff spot remains at one.
Wisconsin took the first lead of the night, 1-0, on Brent Diaz's third inning lead-off homer. The Timber Rattlers added on in the fourth. Korry Howell singled to lead off the inning and moved to second on right fielder Kristian Robinson's error. A wild pitch moved Howell to third, Thomas Dillard walked then David Fry grounded into a double play to score Howell and make it 2-0.
The Cougars cut the deficit in half on Buddy Kennedy's solo shot in the fifth. Kristian Robinson belted a lead-off homer in the eighth to tie the game.
In the bottom of the ninth, Je'Von Ward began the inning with a single. The next hitter, Pablo Abreu, doubled to plate Ward and win the game for Wisconsin.
Yaramil Hiraldo (1-1) was on the mound when the winning tally scored, handing the right-hander the loss. He pitched 2.1 innings and allowed just that one run. Tyler Gillies (5-2) recorded the final out of the top of the ninth and was credited with the win.
Game two of the Cougars' three-game series in Wisconsin begins Thursday night at 7:05 p.m. Follow the action live on AM 1280 WBIG or on kccougars.com.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from August 28, 2019
- Cubs Take Step Closer to Playoffs with 13-4 Win over TinCaps - South Bend Cubs
- Stellar Pitching, Four-Run 10th Propel Captains - Lake County Captains
- Four-run Seventh Lifts Chiefs Over Snappers - Peoria Chiefs
- Abreu's Walkoff Double Beats Kane County 3-2 - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Beloit falls 9-5 in final road opener of the year - Beloit Snappers
- Jump for Joy - LumberKings are Playoff Bound - Clinton LumberKings
- Bees Shutout By Playoff-Clinching LumberKings - Burlington Bees
- Lugnuts Continue Dominance of Whitecaps - Lansing Lugnuts
- Hot Rods Fall 5-1 in 10 Innings to Open Series - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Celebration Stalled: Wisconsin Walks off on Cougars - Kane County Cougars
- Kernels Win 1-0 with Another Walk-Off - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Lopez Homers in Homestand Opener - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- River Bandits Drop Heartbreaker for Second Straight Night - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Schuyler Home Run, Big Double Plays Key Dragons 5-3 Win in Midland - Dayton Dragons
- Camels Can't Get over Hump - Great Lakes Loons
- MWL Post-Season All-Star Closer Finfrock Promoted to Dunedin - Lansing Lugnuts
- Giveaways abound in LumberKings final homestand in 2019 - Clinton LumberKings
- TinCaps Game Notes: August 28 vs. South Bend (Game 133) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Classic Park in Eastlake to Host Free Movie Nights & College Football Watch Party Starting September 14 - Lake County Captains
- Postponed Game at Bowling Green Could be Made up in South Bend on Monday - South Bend Cubs
- Jesus Gonzalez Joins TinCaps as Martinez Departs - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dragons Notes for Wednesday - Dayton Dragons
- The South Bend Cubs to Play Their Last Three Regular Season Games over Labor Day Weekend - South Bend Cubs
- Whitecaps Blanked in 2019 Home Finale - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Loons Outlast Lugnuts - Great Lakes Loons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Kane County Cougars Stories
- Cougars Reveal Promotional Lineup for 2020 Season
- Cougars Announce Seasonal Job Fair Scheduled for February 8 and 23
- Cougars Announce Capital Improvements Ahead of 30th Anniversary Season
- Cougars Reveal Economic Impact Statement
- Harrison Returns to Manage Cougars for 2020 Season