Beloit falls 9-5 in final road opener of the year
PEORIA, IL - In a back-and-forth battle down in Peoria, Illinois, the Beloit Snappers were just narrowly edged by the Peoria Chiefs by a final score of 9-5. The score does not reflect the see-saw battle as Beloit was tied with Peoria at 5 until the 7th inning, but a 4-run Chiefs 7th was too much in the losing effort.
Peoria would get on the board first and in a big way scoring 4 unanswered runs to take the lead. The Chiefs would score all 4 runs within the first 3 innings and it would not be until the fourth when the Snappers would jump onto the scoreboard.
In the fourth, Nick Osborne would double to center field for his first of three extra base hits on the evening. Moments later, Osborne would be knocked in by Anthony Churlin with a sacrifice fly to make the score 4-1 in favor of the Chiefs.
Then after a run for the Chiefs in the bottom half, the Snappers would rattle off runs in each of the next 3- innings to draw to a 5-5 tie heading to the bottom of the seventh.
In the fifth, Beloit would get runners on second and third with just one out to get the scoring ramped back up. Max Schuemann would then be up next and lace a single up the middle to plate a run and cut the Snappers deficit to just 3.
One inning later, Nick Osborne would be back to his power hitting ways adding on to his big day with his second double of the evening with no outs. Nick Ward then traded places with Osborne hitting his first double of the evening knocking in Osborne and cutting Peoria's lead to just 2.
Beloit would then collect two big runs in seventh to complete the comeback at the time evening the score at 5 all. Nick Osborne would start it up and collect his third extra base hit of the game in the inning to knock in a run and cut the deficit to just 1. Then, Osborne would come around to score after a balk to even the score.
Unfortunately for Beloit, that would conclude the scoring in the game for Beloit, but not for Peoria as they would tack on 4 in the seventh to go on to win 9-5.
Beloit will be back in action in Peoria tomorrow at 6:35 before returning to Pohlman Field this weekend.
This weekend is the final series for Beloit in the 2019 season and it is Fan Appreciation Night by Ho- Chunk Nation with fireworks, Mega Raffle, giveaways, and tons of fun activities for all.
The Beloit Snappers are a member of the Midwest League and have been the Single-A affiliate of the Oakland Athletics. For more ticket information, contact the Snappers office at (608) 362-2272 or visit our website, www.snappersbaseball.com.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from August 28, 2019
- Cubs Take Step Closer to Playoffs with 13-4 Win over TinCaps - South Bend Cubs
- Stellar Pitching, Four-Run 10th Propel Captains - Lake County Captains
- Four-run Seventh Lifts Chiefs Over Snappers - Peoria Chiefs
- Abreu's Walkoff Double Beats Kane County 3-2 - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Beloit falls 9-5 in final road opener of the year - Beloit Snappers
- Jump for Joy - LumberKings are Playoff Bound - Clinton LumberKings
- Bees Shutout By Playoff-Clinching LumberKings - Burlington Bees
- Lugnuts Continue Dominance of Whitecaps - Lansing Lugnuts
- Hot Rods Fall 5-1 in 10 Innings to Open Series - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Celebration Stalled: Wisconsin Walks off on Cougars - Kane County Cougars
- Kernels Win 1-0 with Another Walk-Off - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Lopez Homers in Homestand Opener - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- River Bandits Drop Heartbreaker for Second Straight Night - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Schuyler Home Run, Big Double Plays Key Dragons 5-3 Win in Midland - Dayton Dragons
- Camels Can't Get over Hump - Great Lakes Loons
- MWL Post-Season All-Star Closer Finfrock Promoted to Dunedin - Lansing Lugnuts
- Giveaways abound in LumberKings final homestand in 2019 - Clinton LumberKings
- TinCaps Game Notes: August 28 vs. South Bend (Game 133) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Classic Park in Eastlake to Host Free Movie Nights & College Football Watch Party Starting September 14 - Lake County Captains
- Postponed Game at Bowling Green Could be Made up in South Bend on Monday - South Bend Cubs
- Jesus Gonzalez Joins TinCaps as Martinez Departs - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dragons Notes for Wednesday - Dayton Dragons
- The South Bend Cubs to Play Their Last Three Regular Season Games over Labor Day Weekend - South Bend Cubs
- Whitecaps Blanked in 2019 Home Finale - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Loons Outlast Lugnuts - Great Lakes Loons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.