Kernels Win 1-0 with Another Walk-Off
CEDAR RAPIDS, IOWA - A RBI single by Jared Akins in the ninth inning gave the Kernels a 1-0 victory over Quad Cities on Wednesday night. It was the team's third walk-off win in the last five games.
The ninth inning for Cedar Rapids (35-30, 74-61) began with Spencer Steer's double to left field. He moved to third on Gabe Snyder's single to right-center. The bases became loaded when Wander Javier was hit by a pitch. With one out, Akins rolled the game-winning hit through the left side to score Steer.
Brett Daniels began the game for Quad Cities (34-31, 77-54) by retiring the first 16 Kernels in order. 10 of the outs came by a strikeout, including the first five of the game. Daniel Ozoria broke up the perfect game bid with a one-out single to left field in the sixth inning. Ozoria made his way to third base after a groundout and an error, but Daniels recorded his new career best 11th strikeout to end the inning and his night on the mound.
Jose Bravo (5-5) took the loss for Quad Cities, allowing the only run over 2.1 innings of relief work.
Matt Canterino started and tossed five scoreless innings for the Kernels, setting a professional career high with seven strikeouts and no walks. He allowed just three runners to reach with a single and two hit batters.
Brian Rapp (5-1) was excellent in relief to earn the win. He pitched a season-high four scoreless innings and allowed just one hit while striking out three.
The teams combined to collect six hits in the game.
The series continues on Thursday at 6:35 p.m. Tyler Palm (3-9, 4.02) starts for the Kernels while Jonathan Bermudez (5-1, 4.21) goes for Quad Cities. You can listen to the action on 1450 KMRY AM and 93.1 FM and also online at www.kmryradio.com, www.kernels.com, and MiLB.TV.
Three fans, age 18 and older, will win a 50-inch flat screen TV thanks to First Federal Credit Union as part of Big Screen Thursday. Fans can get a raffle ticket at the First Federal Credit Union table on the concourse, and they must be present to win. It's a 94.1 KRNA Thirsty Thursday where 12 oz. regular draft beer and 20 oz. bottled soda and water are just $2.00 all game! It's also College Night! Show your college ID at the Kernels Ticket Office, and get a Club ticket and two regular hot dogs for just $9.00.
Fans can purchase tickets for all 2019 Cedar Rapids Kernels home games, including the playoff opener September 4 against the Quad Cities River Bandits, by visiting www.kernels.com, going to the Kernels Ticket Office, or calling 319-896-7560. The Kernels Ticket Office is open from 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday and from 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. on Saturdays.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from August 28, 2019
- Cubs Take Step Closer to Playoffs with 13-4 Win over TinCaps - South Bend Cubs
- Stellar Pitching, Four-Run 10th Propel Captains - Lake County Captains
- Four-run Seventh Lifts Chiefs Over Snappers - Peoria Chiefs
- Abreu's Walkoff Double Beats Kane County 3-2 - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Beloit falls 9-5 in final road opener of the year - Beloit Snappers
- Jump for Joy - LumberKings are Playoff Bound - Clinton LumberKings
- Bees Shutout By Playoff-Clinching LumberKings - Burlington Bees
- Lugnuts Continue Dominance of Whitecaps - Lansing Lugnuts
- Hot Rods Fall 5-1 in 10 Innings to Open Series - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Celebration Stalled: Wisconsin Walks off on Cougars - Kane County Cougars
- Kernels Win 1-0 with Another Walk-Off - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Lopez Homers in Homestand Opener - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- River Bandits Drop Heartbreaker for Second Straight Night - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Schuyler Home Run, Big Double Plays Key Dragons 5-3 Win in Midland - Dayton Dragons
- Camels Can't Get over Hump - Great Lakes Loons
- MWL Post-Season All-Star Closer Finfrock Promoted to Dunedin - Lansing Lugnuts
- Giveaways abound in LumberKings final homestand in 2019 - Clinton LumberKings
- TinCaps Game Notes: August 28 vs. South Bend (Game 133) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Classic Park in Eastlake to Host Free Movie Nights & College Football Watch Party Starting September 14 - Lake County Captains
- Postponed Game at Bowling Green Could be Made up in South Bend on Monday - South Bend Cubs
- Jesus Gonzalez Joins TinCaps as Martinez Departs - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dragons Notes for Wednesday - Dayton Dragons
- The South Bend Cubs to Play Their Last Three Regular Season Games over Labor Day Weekend - South Bend Cubs
- Whitecaps Blanked in 2019 Home Finale - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Loons Outlast Lugnuts - Great Lakes Loons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.