Schuyler Home Run, Big Double Plays Key Dragons 5-3 Win in Midland
Midland, Mich. - Jay Schuyler hit a two-run home run and the Dayton Dragons turned two big inning-ending doubles plays with the bases loaded as they held on to defeat the Great Lakes Loons 5-3 on Wednesday night. The game was the opener to a three-game series.
The Dragons built a 5-1 lead over the first four innings before Great Lakes scored two in the seventh, but Dragons relievers Eddy Demurias and Matt Pidich closed the door on the Loons comeback efforts.
The Dragons got the scoring started in the second inning when Schuyler doubled down the left field line and scored when Miles Gordon bounced a double off the right field fence. Gordon scored on Miguel Hernandez's bloop hit to right field to make it 2-0.
The Dragons added two more runs in the third inning when Matt Lloyd doubled and scored on Schuyler's fifth home run of the season to make it 4-0.
Great Lakes scored one run in the bottom of the third, but the Dragons responded with a run in the fourth when Hernandez singled with one out, went to second on a ground out, and scored on Michael Siani's two-out single to give the Dragons a 5-1 lead.
The Loons loaded the bases with no one out in the fourth but came away empty as Dragons starting pitcher Clete Schmidt got a pair of ground balls including the inning-ending double play.
In the seventh, Great Lakes scored two runs and threatened to tie or take the lead. With the bases loaded and one out with Dayton leading 5-3, Demurias got an inning-ending double play to preserve the lead.
Matt Pidich entered the game to start the eighth and retired all six batters he faced for his seventh save.
Schmidt (2-1) was effective to earn the win, going five innings and allowing just one run on five hits with three walks and three strikeouts. Carlos Machorro followed Schmidt with one scoreless inning, allowing one hit with a strikeout.
The Dragons finished with nine hits, going 4 for 5 with men in scoring position. Schuyler, Hernandez, and Siani each had two hits. The Dragons had four extra base hits including Schuyler's home run and double. Gordon and Lloyd also added doubles.
Up Next: The Dragons (28-37, 56-79) meet the Loons (36-29, 79-53) in the second game of the three-game series on Thursday night at 7:05 p.m. Adrian Rodriguez (6-3, 3.03) will start for the Dragons, hoping to continue a great month of August for the native of Mexico. He has posted a 0.71 ERA for the month, allowing just two earned runs in 25.1 innings. Great Lakes will counter with Robinson Ortiz (3-5, 4.82).
The Dragons have three remaining home games in 2019. They are Saturday, August 31-Monday, September 2. For Dragons ticket information, call (937) 228-2287.
On the Air: All Dragons home and road games are broadcast on radio on Fox Sports 980 WONE AM. Games can be heard on smart phones, iPads, and other mobile devices via the free Dragons Mobile App, or on a computer at wone.com. Games are also available on HD Radio on 104.7 WTUI HD 2. All Saturday and Sunday home games are televised on Dayton's CW (channel 26; Spectrum cable channels 13 and 1013).
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from August 28, 2019
- Cubs Take Step Closer to Playoffs with 13-4 Win over TinCaps - South Bend Cubs
- Stellar Pitching, Four-Run 10th Propel Captains - Lake County Captains
- Four-run Seventh Lifts Chiefs Over Snappers - Peoria Chiefs
- Abreu's Walkoff Double Beats Kane County 3-2 - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Beloit falls 9-5 in final road opener of the year - Beloit Snappers
- Jump for Joy - LumberKings are Playoff Bound - Clinton LumberKings
- Bees Shutout By Playoff-Clinching LumberKings - Burlington Bees
- Lugnuts Continue Dominance of Whitecaps - Lansing Lugnuts
- Hot Rods Fall 5-1 in 10 Innings to Open Series - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Celebration Stalled: Wisconsin Walks off on Cougars - Kane County Cougars
- Kernels Win 1-0 with Another Walk-Off - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Lopez Homers in Homestand Opener - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- River Bandits Drop Heartbreaker for Second Straight Night - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Schuyler Home Run, Big Double Plays Key Dragons 5-3 Win in Midland - Dayton Dragons
- Camels Can't Get over Hump - Great Lakes Loons
- MWL Post-Season All-Star Closer Finfrock Promoted to Dunedin - Lansing Lugnuts
- Giveaways abound in LumberKings final homestand in 2019 - Clinton LumberKings
- TinCaps Game Notes: August 28 vs. South Bend (Game 133) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Classic Park in Eastlake to Host Free Movie Nights & College Football Watch Party Starting September 14 - Lake County Captains
- Postponed Game at Bowling Green Could be Made up in South Bend on Monday - South Bend Cubs
- Jesus Gonzalez Joins TinCaps as Martinez Departs - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dragons Notes for Wednesday - Dayton Dragons
- The South Bend Cubs to Play Their Last Three Regular Season Games over Labor Day Weekend - South Bend Cubs
- Whitecaps Blanked in 2019 Home Finale - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Loons Outlast Lugnuts - Great Lakes Loons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Dayton Dragons Stories
- Dragons, Day Air Credit Union, Community Help Raise over $16,000 for The Dayton Foodbank
- Reds Invite Dragons to Continue Partnership
- Dayton Dragons announce holiday "50/50 Raffle" Presented by Day Air Credit Union Benefitting The Dayton Foodbank
- Dragons Special 50/50 Raffle to Benefit COVID-19 Response Fund & African-American Community Fund
- Dayton Dragons 2020 Season Is Cancelled