Four-run Seventh Lifts Chiefs Over Snappers
Peoria, IL - Thanks to a four-run seventh inning, the Peoria Chiefs defeated the Beloit Snappers 9-5 Wednesday night at Dozer Park. Imeldo Diaz went two-for-four with a double and two RBI earning the Pekin Insurance Beyond the Expected Player of the Game.
The Chiefs opened the scoring in the bottom of the first against Beloit starter Joe DeMers. Brandon Riley led off with a single and stole second, his 13th of the season. With two outs, Riley scored on a single by Brady Whalen for the 1-0 lead.
Peoria continued to build their lead in the bottom of the second while knocking DeMers out of the game. Wadye Ynfante was hit by a pitch and Edwin Figuera singled to put runners on first and second. After a wild pitch put runners on second and third, Josh Shaw hit an infield single that scored Ynfante to put the Chiefs ahead 2-0. Brendan Donovan walked to load the bases and with two outs, Diaz was hit by a pitch, which scored Figuera for the 3-0 lead.
The Chiefs plated another run in the bottom of the third for their third consecutive inning against Beloit reliever Jaimito Lebron. Leandro Cedeno led off with a single, stole second and advanced to third on a passed ball as Ynfante drew a walk. Ynfante stole second to put runners at second and third and Cedeno scored on a groundout by Riley as the Chiefs increased their lead to 4-0.
Peoria kept their offensive momentum going in the bottom of the fourth against Bryce Nightengale. Donovan walked to lead off the inning and advanced to third on a single from Whalen. Donovan scored on a groundout by Diaz, his second RBI of the game for the 5-1 lead.
The Chiefs entered the bottom of the seventh tied at five, but plated four runs. Cedeno started the inning with a single and advanced to second with his second stolen base of the game. Ynfante followed with an RBI single, advanced to second on the throw home and went to third on a throwing error by Beloit left fielder Lester Madden. Figuera singled to score Ynfante to put the Chiefs ahead 7-5. Riley reached second on a fielding error charged to Madden to put runners on second and third. Donovan continued his hot hitting with a two-run single to push the Chiefs lead to 9-5.
Parker Kelly took the no decision, pitching six innings allowing three runs, one earned on six hits with three walks and five strikeouts. Franyel Casadilla (5-4) earned the win allowing two runs on four hits with two strikeouts in three innings of relief.
The Chiefs continue their homestand with the Beloit Snappers Thursday, August 29 at 6:35 p.m. The broadcast can be heard, starting with the Pre-Game Show at 6:20 p.m. on the Peoria Chiefs Tune-In Page, which is free and also has a free app for smartphones and tablets. The game is also available on MiLB.TV for subscribers.
Thursday is College Night presented by PBR. All college students can show their college ID for a $5 ticket to the game. Those students can then show their ID and game ticket at the Peoria Civic Center for $10 tickets to the September 7 PBR event. PBR will also giveaway tickets to their 9/7 Peoria event to lucky fans at the Chiefs game. Fans who use the code CHIEFS at https://www1.ticketmaster.com/pbr-pendleton-whiskey-velocity-tour/event/070056C5BA0D6440 get $10 off their PBR ticket.
It's also Baumgarten Distributing Beer & Brat Thirsty Thursday with $2 12 oz domestic cans and soda, $3 Margaritas and Brats plus $4 16 oz Craft drafts. $5 Berm seats for students with a valid College Student ID. Make sure to bring a Taco Bell receipt showing a purchase ($5 minimum) within the last seven days to receive a buy one, get one FREE ticket (limit 2 free tickets per transaction) for our last Taco Bell Live Mas Thursday of the season.
Individual game tickets, group tickets and season ticket packages, including full-season, a 35-game ticket package, an 18-game ticket package or a Flex Plan are currently on sale by calling 309-680-4000. Individual game tickets are also on sale with the Dozer Park Box Office open Monday - Friday from 10:00 am - 5:00 pm and online at www.peoriachiefs.com which also lists all of the season's promotions. Game times and promotions are subject to change.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from August 28, 2019
- Cubs Take Step Closer to Playoffs with 13-4 Win over TinCaps - South Bend Cubs
- Stellar Pitching, Four-Run 10th Propel Captains - Lake County Captains
- Four-run Seventh Lifts Chiefs Over Snappers - Peoria Chiefs
- Abreu's Walkoff Double Beats Kane County 3-2 - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Beloit falls 9-5 in final road opener of the year - Beloit Snappers
- Jump for Joy - LumberKings are Playoff Bound - Clinton LumberKings
- Bees Shutout By Playoff-Clinching LumberKings - Burlington Bees
- Lugnuts Continue Dominance of Whitecaps - Lansing Lugnuts
- Hot Rods Fall 5-1 in 10 Innings to Open Series - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Celebration Stalled: Wisconsin Walks off on Cougars - Kane County Cougars
- Kernels Win 1-0 with Another Walk-Off - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Lopez Homers in Homestand Opener - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- River Bandits Drop Heartbreaker for Second Straight Night - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Schuyler Home Run, Big Double Plays Key Dragons 5-3 Win in Midland - Dayton Dragons
- Camels Can't Get over Hump - Great Lakes Loons
- MWL Post-Season All-Star Closer Finfrock Promoted to Dunedin - Lansing Lugnuts
- Giveaways abound in LumberKings final homestand in 2019 - Clinton LumberKings
- TinCaps Game Notes: August 28 vs. South Bend (Game 133) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Classic Park in Eastlake to Host Free Movie Nights & College Football Watch Party Starting September 14 - Lake County Captains
- Postponed Game at Bowling Green Could be Made up in South Bend on Monday - South Bend Cubs
- Jesus Gonzalez Joins TinCaps as Martinez Departs - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dragons Notes for Wednesday - Dayton Dragons
- The South Bend Cubs to Play Their Last Three Regular Season Games over Labor Day Weekend - South Bend Cubs
- Whitecaps Blanked in 2019 Home Finale - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Loons Outlast Lugnuts - Great Lakes Loons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Peoria Chiefs Stories
- Chiefs Single Game Tickets Go on Sale March 16
- Chiefs Announce 2020 Bobble Heads and Theme Ticket Packages
- Chiefs Announce 2020 Fireworks Dates
- Chiefs Scholarship Applications Open Until March 4
- Almonte Returns as Chiefs Manager in 2020; Gabella & Martin Join Staff