Cubs Take Step Closer to Playoffs with 13-4 Win over TinCaps
Fort Wayne, IN: After last night's rain out in Bowling Green, the South Bend Cubs came into their series opener against the Fort Wayne TinCaps on Wednesday night ready to take another step towards the Midwest League Playoffs. In a 13-4 win, the Cubs scored eight runs in the first two innings and now see their magic number drop to just two to clinch a playoff spot.
South Bend got off to a roaring start against Fort Wayne starting pitcher Cullen Dana. The lefty Dana allowed hits to Clayton Daniel and Chase Strumpf to start the game, then the bases were loaded because of a walk to Andy Weber. The Cubs struck with six runs in the 1st. Ironically, the Chicago Cubs did the same thing on the road against the New York Mets.
Also in the 1st, Nelson Velazquez picked up the first of his career high four hits when he drove in Weber and Jake Slaughter on a single. Velazquez had by far his best night in a Cubs uniform on Wednesday. He also picked up a career high five RBI.
On the mound, Cubs starter Zach Mort continued his solid work out of the rotation with five innings of one run baseball. The right-hander struck out two batters and earned his sixth Midwest League win.
The pitching situation for Fort Wayne was a different story. After the Cubs knocked Dana out of the game after just 0.2 innings, the first man out of the bullpen Jose Quezada made it through only 1.1 innings of his own. In total, the TinCaps had to use five separate pitchers, along with position player Kelvin Alarcon to record 27 outs.
Already up 9-4 in the 7th, the Cubs really broke the game open when Velazquez tripled home three runs on a sinking line drive towards left field. Michael Curry dove to try and make the catch, but the ball skipped past him all the way to the wall. Velazquez was into third base standing.
Out of the bullpen, Brendan King and Sean Barry combined for three scoreless innings of relief to close out the victory. The series opener win gives the Cubs a 73-59 record and a chance to win the series tomorrow night.
Tomorrow's game is also the first opportunity for South Bend to clinch a playoff position. The Eastern Division title is still up for grabs as Bowling Green lost tonight, but the Cubs can assure a spot in the postseason with a win tomorrow and a Lansing loss. Right-hander Riley Thompson will take the mound in one of the biggest games this year.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from August 28, 2019
- Cubs Take Step Closer to Playoffs with 13-4 Win over TinCaps - South Bend Cubs
- Stellar Pitching, Four-Run 10th Propel Captains - Lake County Captains
- Four-run Seventh Lifts Chiefs Over Snappers - Peoria Chiefs
- Abreu's Walkoff Double Beats Kane County 3-2 - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Beloit falls 9-5 in final road opener of the year - Beloit Snappers
- Jump for Joy - LumberKings are Playoff Bound - Clinton LumberKings
- Bees Shutout By Playoff-Clinching LumberKings - Burlington Bees
- Lugnuts Continue Dominance of Whitecaps - Lansing Lugnuts
- Hot Rods Fall 5-1 in 10 Innings to Open Series - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Celebration Stalled: Wisconsin Walks off on Cougars - Kane County Cougars
- Kernels Win 1-0 with Another Walk-Off - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Lopez Homers in Homestand Opener - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- River Bandits Drop Heartbreaker for Second Straight Night - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Schuyler Home Run, Big Double Plays Key Dragons 5-3 Win in Midland - Dayton Dragons
- Camels Can't Get over Hump - Great Lakes Loons
- MWL Post-Season All-Star Closer Finfrock Promoted to Dunedin - Lansing Lugnuts
- Giveaways abound in LumberKings final homestand in 2019 - Clinton LumberKings
- TinCaps Game Notes: August 28 vs. South Bend (Game 133) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Classic Park in Eastlake to Host Free Movie Nights & College Football Watch Party Starting September 14 - Lake County Captains
- Postponed Game at Bowling Green Could be Made up in South Bend on Monday - South Bend Cubs
- Jesus Gonzalez Joins TinCaps as Martinez Departs - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dragons Notes for Wednesday - Dayton Dragons
- The South Bend Cubs to Play Their Last Three Regular Season Games over Labor Day Weekend - South Bend Cubs
- Whitecaps Blanked in 2019 Home Finale - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Loons Outlast Lugnuts - Great Lakes Loons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent South Bend Cubs Stories
- South Bend Cubs to Become Los Cabritos Maldichos for Select Games in 2020
- South Bend Cubs to Host 5th Annual Holiday Extravaganza December 7
- South Bend Cubs to Offer Championship Ticket Packages
- South Bend Cubs Host Fourth Annual Polar Plunge
- Championship Open House at Four Winds Field October 22