Joe Vrbetic Records his First Professional Shutout
March 25, 2023 - ECHL (ECHL) - Trois-Rivieres Lions News Release
Lions head coach Marc-André Bergeron and Co. were back in action Friday night against the Norfolk Admirals for the second game of the teams' three-game series. After Wednesday's 2-1 loss, Trois-Rivières was looking to bounce back and give themselves the opportunity to take the series.
Much to the delight of the 2,502 fans in attendance at Colisée Vidéotron, the Lions started the first period full throttle, completely dominating the Admirals. Trois-Rivières' Nicolas Guay took advantage of a lucky rebound to light the lamp at the 7:44 mark, with newcomer Zach Kaiser collecting his first point in a Trois-Rivières uniform on the play. Norfolk's Danny Katic was sent off for hooking at 11:18, giving the Lions a power play opportunity, and Shane Kuzmeski's rocket from the blue line completed a set up from Ryan Francis and Brett Stapley to make the score 2-0. Even with a two-goal lead, the Lions weren't going to take their foot off the pedal. Francis created a turnover and then capitalized, beating Norfolk goaltender Tomas Vomacka. Playing a near flawless period, the Lions entered the intermission holding a 3-0 lead.
While Trois-Rivières dominated the first period, the tables were turned in the second. The Admirals fired 25 shots at Lions' netminder Joe Vrbetic, while the Lions only mustered five shots of their own. Fortunately for Trois-Rivières, Vrbetic was rock solid, making several key saves to maintain his team's three-goal lead. Particularly impressive was a sequence of three consecutive saves on Katic who had been toying with the Lions' defence corps. Near the end of the period Trois-Rivières' Anthony Beauregard and Cedric Montminy created a beautiful set up for linemate Francis, but Vomacka robbed the Lions' forward of a goal. In no small measure to Joe Vrbetic, the Lions maintained their 3-0 lead after 40 minutes of play.
The Lions' difficulties in the second period were replaced by the quality form the team displayed in the first. Trois-Rivières added two more goals: Beauregard capitalized on a turnover in the offensive zone to score his 22nd goal of the 2022-23 campaign, tying Anthony Nellis' record set last year for goals scored in a single season; then a few minutes later, Stapley took a pass from Francis to beat Vomacka. All the while, Vrbetic continued to be lights out, ultimately recording his first shutout in the professional ranks. The Lions' goalkeeper stopped all 39 shots he faced, and the Lions earned a 5-0 victory.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from March 25, 2023
- Barratt Tallies Three Points, Royals Drop High-Scoring Affair to Nailers, 6-5 - Reading Royals
- Second Period Outburst Pushes Thunder Past Heartlanders - Wichita Thunder
- Idaho Completes the Sweep - Allen Americans
- Last Goal Wins for Wheeling in 6-5 Thriller - Wheeling Nailers
- Railers Suffer Tough Loss to Adirondack, 2-1 - Worcester Railers HC
- Rush Fall in Fort Wayne, 6-3 - Rapid City Rush
- Jordan Kawaguchi Scores Hat Trick in 6-3 Victory at Allen - Idaho Steelheads
- Iowa and Wichita Combine for 102 PIM in 4-2 Landers Defeat - Iowa Heartlanders
- Sensational Second Period Sends Oilers Past Mavericks - Tulsa Oilers
- Stingrays Use Hot Start to Sink Mariners - South Carolina Stingrays
- K-Wings Climb Back in 3rd, Beat Indy in OT Saturday - Kalamazoo Wings
- Weller's Goal Propels Thunder Past Railers, 2-1 - Adirondack Thunder
- Growlers Down Everblades 3-2 - Newfoundland Growlers
- Walleye Notch 250 Sellouts in Win Over Greenville - Toledo Walleye
- Fuel Earn Point in Overtime Loss to K-Wings - Indy Fuel
- Peski Scores Twice in Loss to Stingrays - Maine Mariners
- Cossa Stops 35, Rabbits Come up Short of Walleye 5-1 - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Admirals Win OT Thriller on the Road - Norfolk Admirals
- Alex Kile Recalled to Lehigh Valley - Maine Mariners
- ECHL Transactions - March 25 - ECHL
- Wichita Plays Season-Series Finale Tonight vs. Iowa - Wichita Thunder
- Lions Going for Two in a Row - Trois-Rivieres Lions
- Game Preview: Swamp Rabbits at Walleye (7:15pm) - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Game Day Preview: Final Chance to Beat Idaho in the Regular Season - Allen Americans
- Joe Vrbetic Records his First Professional Shutout - Trois-Rivieres Lions
- Royals Wheel into West Virginia for Back-To-Back with Nailers - Reading Royals
- 'Clones Hang on in Utah, Extend Point Streak to 20 Games - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Royals End Walleye Win Streak, Nagle Becomes ECHL's 2nd All-Time Winningest Goalie in Road-Trip Opener - Reading Royals
- Cyclones Defeated Grizzlies in Wild 4-3 Game - Utah Grizzlies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Trois-Rivieres Lions Stories
- Protected List of the Lions de Trois-Rivières Announced
- The Lions de Trois-Rivières: Back at Colisée Vidéotron for the 2023-24 Season
- Lions Aiming to End Their Season on a High Note
- An Impressive Victory for the Lions
- Lions Hoping to Finish off Marathon Road Trip with a Win