Fuel Earn Point in Overtime Loss to K-Wings
INDIANAPOLIS - The Fuel hosted the Kalamazoo Wings for the twelfth time this season, looking for their ninth win against their divisional opponents. While the Fuel earned a point by going to overtime, it was the K-Wings who struck last and won 4-3.
Kalamazoo's Justin Taylor was the first to get on the game sheet with a tripping penalty at 8:18. The K-Wings were able to kill it off.
Nick Cardelli then took a hooking penalty for Indy at 11:50 but the Fuel were able to kill it off. While neither team scored, things progressively got chippier through the end of the first period.
Less than a minute into the second frame, Ben Copeland scored for Kalamazoo and less than a minute later, David Keefer made it 2-0 for the K-Wings.
23 seconds after that, defenseman Chris Cameron scored from the blue line to make it 2-1 with the help of Zach Vinnell and Bryan Lemos.
At 3:26 in the period, Andrew Bellant scored to tie the game at 2-2. The goal was reviewed for goaltender interference but ultimately it stood. Vinnell collected his second assist of the game on that goal along with Logan Nijhoff.
The game seemed to calm down a bit after that until the K-Wings took a penalty at 13:32 that they were able to kill off.
Koletrane Wilson broke the tie and gave Indy their first lead of the game at 16:37 of the second period with his first goal of the season and first in the ECHL. Bellant had the lone assist.
About five minutes into the final frame, Kalamazoo's Kobe Roth took a penalty for high-sticking and sat for two minutes. The K-Wings were able to kill that off before getting a power play of their own on a holding call on Lemos.
While the Fuel killed off that penalty, the K-Wings tied the game up at 14:04 with a goal by Kyle Rhodes to make it 3-3.
Despite a few more good chances on both sides, time expired on regulation and the game headed to overtime.
Kalamazoo controlled possession in the first minute of overtime with a few good chances and a crash into the net but Zach Driscoll stood strong, making the saves.
On the first rush by the Fuel, Alex Wideman sent a puck through the crease but Evan Cormier made a behind the back save before the puck could cross the line despite the Fuel's celebration.
Upon a review, it was confirmed to not be a goal. Kalamazoo's Copeland scored at 2:32 into overtime and won the game for the K-Wings, 4-3 in overtime.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from March 25, 2023
- Barratt Tallies Three Points, Royals Drop High-Scoring Affair to Nailers, 6-5 - Reading Royals
- Second Period Outburst Pushes Thunder Past Heartlanders - Wichita Thunder
- Idaho Completes the Sweep - Allen Americans
- Last Goal Wins for Wheeling in 6-5 Thriller - Wheeling Nailers
- Railers Suffer Tough Loss to Adirondack, 2-1 - Worcester Railers HC
- Rush Fall in Fort Wayne, 6-3 - Rapid City Rush
- Jordan Kawaguchi Scores Hat Trick in 6-3 Victory at Allen - Idaho Steelheads
- Iowa and Wichita Combine for 102 PIM in 4-2 Landers Defeat - Iowa Heartlanders
- Sensational Second Period Sends Oilers Past Mavericks - Tulsa Oilers
- Stingrays Use Hot Start to Sink Mariners - South Carolina Stingrays
- K-Wings Climb Back in 3rd, Beat Indy in OT Saturday - Kalamazoo Wings
- Weller's Goal Propels Thunder Past Railers, 2-1 - Adirondack Thunder
- Growlers Down Everblades 3-2 - Newfoundland Growlers
- Walleye Notch 250 Sellouts in Win Over Greenville - Toledo Walleye
- Fuel Earn Point in Overtime Loss to K-Wings - Indy Fuel
- Peski Scores Twice in Loss to Stingrays - Maine Mariners
- Cossa Stops 35, Rabbits Come up Short of Walleye 5-1 - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Admirals Win OT Thriller on the Road - Norfolk Admirals
- Alex Kile Recalled to Lehigh Valley - Maine Mariners
- ECHL Transactions - March 25 - ECHL
- Wichita Plays Season-Series Finale Tonight vs. Iowa - Wichita Thunder
- Lions Going for Two in a Row - Trois-Rivieres Lions
- Game Preview: Swamp Rabbits at Walleye (7:15pm) - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Game Day Preview: Final Chance to Beat Idaho in the Regular Season - Allen Americans
- Joe Vrbetic Records his First Professional Shutout - Trois-Rivieres Lions
- Royals Wheel into West Virginia for Back-To-Back with Nailers - Reading Royals
- 'Clones Hang on in Utah, Extend Point Streak to 20 Games - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Royals End Walleye Win Streak, Nagle Becomes ECHL's 2nd All-Time Winningest Goalie in Road-Trip Opener - Reading Royals
- Cyclones Defeated Grizzlies in Wild 4-3 Game - Utah Grizzlies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.