Weller's Goal Propels Thunder Past Railers, 2-1
GLENS FALLS - Shawn Weller scored a power-play goal in the third period to help the Adirondack Thunder to a 2-1 victory over the visiting Worcester Railers in front of 5,029 at Cool Insuring Arena on Saturday night. With the win, the Thunder trail the Railers by three points for the final playoff spot in the North Division.
Patrick Grasso opened the scoring in the second period with a breakaway goal as he beat goaltender Ken Appleby over the shoulder. The goal was Grasso's 31st of the year and fourth goal of the weekend to give the Thunder a 1-0 lead. With the goal, Grasso set the record for most goals in the regular season for Adirondack since joining the ECHL.
Worcester responded later in the second as Reece Newkirk beat goaltender Jake Theut to even the score. Assists were given to Bobby Butler and Jared Brandt at 13:10 of the second period and the game was even at one goal after 40 minutes.
Early in the third period, Shawn Weller deflected a shot into the net on the power play to give Adirondack a 2-1 lead. The goal was Weller's 11th of the year with assists from Ryan Orgel and Sebastian Vidmar and held up as the game winner.
Jake Theut stopped 33 of 34 shots for the win.
The Thunder are on the road next week before returning to Cool Insuring Arena on Friday, April 7 against the Maine Mariners at 7 p.m. Fans can enjoy $3 Labatt Blue through the end of the first period. Get your tickets by visiting the Thunder front office or by calling 518-480-3355.
For more information on ticket packages, call the front office at 518-480-3355 or visit www.ECHLThunder.com/tickets. For all the latest Adirondack Thunder news, follow the team on all social media @ECHLThunder.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from March 25, 2023
- Barratt Tallies Three Points, Royals Drop High-Scoring Affair to Nailers, 6-5 - Reading Royals
- Second Period Outburst Pushes Thunder Past Heartlanders - Wichita Thunder
- Idaho Completes the Sweep - Allen Americans
- Last Goal Wins for Wheeling in 6-5 Thriller - Wheeling Nailers
- Railers Suffer Tough Loss to Adirondack, 2-1 - Worcester Railers HC
- Rush Fall in Fort Wayne, 6-3 - Rapid City Rush
- Jordan Kawaguchi Scores Hat Trick in 6-3 Victory at Allen - Idaho Steelheads
- Iowa and Wichita Combine for 102 PIM in 4-2 Landers Defeat - Iowa Heartlanders
- Sensational Second Period Sends Oilers Past Mavericks - Tulsa Oilers
- Stingrays Use Hot Start to Sink Mariners - South Carolina Stingrays
- K-Wings Climb Back in 3rd, Beat Indy in OT Saturday - Kalamazoo Wings
- Weller's Goal Propels Thunder Past Railers, 2-1 - Adirondack Thunder
- Growlers Down Everblades 3-2 - Newfoundland Growlers
- Walleye Notch 250 Sellouts in Win Over Greenville - Toledo Walleye
- Fuel Earn Point in Overtime Loss to K-Wings - Indy Fuel
- Peski Scores Twice in Loss to Stingrays - Maine Mariners
- Cossa Stops 35, Rabbits Come up Short of Walleye 5-1 - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Admirals Win OT Thriller on the Road - Norfolk Admirals
- Alex Kile Recalled to Lehigh Valley - Maine Mariners
- ECHL Transactions - March 25 - ECHL
- Wichita Plays Season-Series Finale Tonight vs. Iowa - Wichita Thunder
- Lions Going for Two in a Row - Trois-Rivieres Lions
- Game Preview: Swamp Rabbits at Walleye (7:15pm) - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Game Day Preview: Final Chance to Beat Idaho in the Regular Season - Allen Americans
- Joe Vrbetic Records his First Professional Shutout - Trois-Rivieres Lions
- Royals Wheel into West Virginia for Back-To-Back with Nailers - Reading Royals
- 'Clones Hang on in Utah, Extend Point Streak to 20 Games - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Royals End Walleye Win Streak, Nagle Becomes ECHL's 2nd All-Time Winningest Goalie in Road-Trip Opener - Reading Royals
- Cyclones Defeated Grizzlies in Wild 4-3 Game - Utah Grizzlies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.