Wichita Plays Season-Series Finale Tonight vs. Iowa
CORALVILLE, IA - The Wichita Thunder, ECHL affiliate of the NHL's San Jose Sharks, AHL's San Jose Barracuda and powered by Toyota, continues a six-game road trip tonight at 7:05 p.m. in Coralville against the Iowa Heartlanders.
Tonight is the season-finale between the two teams. Wichita leads the season-series, 2-0-1. All-time, the Thunder are 3-1-1 against Iowa and 2-1-1 on the road against the Heartlanders.
Last night, Wichita hopped out to a 2-0 lead before Iowa charged back into the game and won in overtime, 3-2.
With the loss, the Thunder claimed a point and remains in a tie for second in the Mountain Division with 64. Iowa is in seventh place in the Central Division with 48 points. Both Kansas City and Allen have two games in hand on the Thunder.
Wichita and Iowa have had a knack for playing close games this season. Each contest has finished in overtime with a 3-2 final. The Thunder earned a 3-2 win in the first two contests between the two and Iowa took a 3-2 overtime victory last night.
Michal Stinil tallied his 27th goal of the season last night. After going 10 games without a goal, he has markers in back-to-back outings and points in three-straight. Stinil is eighth in the league with 69 points.
Jake Wahlin recorded his 12th goal of the season on Friday night to kick off the scoring. He needs five goals to equal his career-high from a season ago when he had 15 in Rapid City and two in Wichita. The Minnesota native has 26 points (12g, 14a) in 63 games this year.
Wichita is in the middle of a tough stretch this week, playing six games away from home. After tonight, the Thunder have three next week in Utah before returning home for four-straight.
THUNDERBOLTS...Michal Stinil and Cole MacDonald are tied for second with 22 power play assists...Mark Liwiski is third in the league in penalty minutes (170)...Wichita is 19-8-3 when scoring first...Wichita is second at home on the power play (27.9%)...Wichita is sixth overall on the penalty kill (83.3%)...Wichita is 15-4-4 when leading after one...Wichita is 5-1-1 when tied after two
IOWA NOTES - Hunter Jones claimed his second professional shutout last Sunday with 31 saves against Kalamazoo, but is tied for third with 15 losses...Jesse Jacques tallied his first pro goal on Wednesday...Iowa is being outscored 112-94 at home...Iowa is 5-10-6 when tied after one...Iowa is 5-19-5 when trailing after one...Iowa is tied for first in the league with 18 games past regulation, going 4-13 in OT and 0-1 in a shootout...
Images from this story
Wichita Thunder defend against the Iowa Heartlanders
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from March 25, 2023
- Barratt Tallies Three Points, Royals Drop High-Scoring Affair to Nailers, 6-5 - Reading Royals
- Second Period Outburst Pushes Thunder Past Heartlanders - Wichita Thunder
- Idaho Completes the Sweep - Allen Americans
- Last Goal Wins for Wheeling in 6-5 Thriller - Wheeling Nailers
- Railers Suffer Tough Loss to Adirondack, 2-1 - Worcester Railers HC
- Rush Fall in Fort Wayne, 6-3 - Rapid City Rush
- Jordan Kawaguchi Scores Hat Trick in 6-3 Victory at Allen - Idaho Steelheads
- Iowa and Wichita Combine for 102 PIM in 4-2 Landers Defeat - Iowa Heartlanders
- Sensational Second Period Sends Oilers Past Mavericks - Tulsa Oilers
- Stingrays Use Hot Start to Sink Mariners - South Carolina Stingrays
- K-Wings Climb Back in 3rd, Beat Indy in OT Saturday - Kalamazoo Wings
- Weller's Goal Propels Thunder Past Railers, 2-1 - Adirondack Thunder
- Growlers Down Everblades 3-2 - Newfoundland Growlers
- Walleye Notch 250 Sellouts in Win Over Greenville - Toledo Walleye
- Fuel Earn Point in Overtime Loss to K-Wings - Indy Fuel
- Peski Scores Twice in Loss to Stingrays - Maine Mariners
- Cossa Stops 35, Rabbits Come up Short of Walleye 5-1 - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Admirals Win OT Thriller on the Road - Norfolk Admirals
- Alex Kile Recalled to Lehigh Valley - Maine Mariners
- ECHL Transactions - March 25 - ECHL
- Wichita Plays Season-Series Finale Tonight vs. Iowa - Wichita Thunder
- Lions Going for Two in a Row - Trois-Rivieres Lions
- Game Preview: Swamp Rabbits at Walleye (7:15pm) - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Game Day Preview: Final Chance to Beat Idaho in the Regular Season - Allen Americans
- Joe Vrbetic Records his First Professional Shutout - Trois-Rivieres Lions
- Royals Wheel into West Virginia for Back-To-Back with Nailers - Reading Royals
- 'Clones Hang on in Utah, Extend Point Streak to 20 Games - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Royals End Walleye Win Streak, Nagle Becomes ECHL's 2nd All-Time Winningest Goalie in Road-Trip Opener - Reading Royals
- Cyclones Defeated Grizzlies in Wild 4-3 Game - Utah Grizzlies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.