Iowa Falls to San Jose 3-1
DES MOINES, IOWA - Iowa Wild (22-14-3-2; 49 pts.) took a 1-0 lead but ultimately fell to the San Jose Barracuda (14-20-0-2; 30 pts.) by a 3-1 score Friday night.
The two sides played a scoreless first period and heading into the middle frame, it was a 0-0 game with San Jose leading in shots 10-5.
Iowa finally broke the deadlock at 15:29 in the second period as forward Dmitry Sokolov extended his goal streak to three games and his point streak to four. Forward Brandon Duhaime forced a turnover at the San Jose blueline and immediately countered for the Wild. He stopped at the top of the circles and curled to feed Sokolov, who wristed a shot over the shoulder of goaltender Zachary Sawchenko (23 saves) from the left circle for his ninth of the season.
Through 40 minutes of play, Iowa led 1-0 while San Jose had a 23-16 shot advantage.
San Jose tied the contest just 33 seconds into the final frame as forward Jeffrey Viel notched his seventh goal of the season. The Wild failed to clear a loose puck in the slot and Viel caught a pass from forward Nikolai Knyzhov at the far post and knocked it past goaltender Kaapo Kahkonen (27 saves) for the score.
At 6:22 in the third period, the Barracuda took a 2-1 lead. With sustained pressure in the offensive zone, defenseman Trevor Carrick sent a cross-ice pass to forward Sasha Chmelevski, who snapped a shot over Kahkonen's glove for his seventh of the year.
Viel added his second of the game with an empty-net tally at 18:29 in the third period as the Barracuda earned the 3-1 victory. Final shot totals favored San Jose 30-24. Iowa finished the contest 0-for-2 on the power play and 3-for-3 on the penalty kill.
The two sides will meet again Saturday evening for a 6:00 p.m. puck drop. Following the contest, recording artist Andy Grammer will hold a post-game concert.
The Iowa Wild 2019-20 regular season is presented by MercyOne Des Moines Medical Center and runs from October through April. For more information, please contact the Wild office by calling 515-564-8700 or by visiting www.iowawild.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 17, 2020
- Barracuda Tame Wild 3-1 - San Jose Barracuda
- Iowa Falls to San Jose 3-1 - Iowa Wild
- Stars Top Penguins 4-3 in Shootout Thriller - Texas Stars
- Penguins Fight Back, But Lose in Shootout to Stars - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Amerks Force Overtime, But Fall in Shootout to Monsters - Rochester Americans
- Phantoms Halt Streaking Devils in 4-1 Win - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- P-Bruins Comeback Falls Short in 2-1 Loss to Bridgeport Sound Tigers - Providence Bruins
- Coreau makes season-high 43 saves in tough win on the road - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Monsters End Skid with Thrilling 4-3 Shootout Win over Amerks - Cleveland Monsters
- Bailey Lifts Comets past Pack - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Bailey's Second Straight Hat Trick Powers Comets To Win - Utica Comets
- Crunch Downed by Thunderbirds, 4-1 - Syracuse Crunch
- Bednard Brilliant to Earn 4-1 T-Birds Win in AHL Debut - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Iowa Wild Forward Mason Shaw Set to Make Season Debut - Iowa Wild
- Griffins Host "Hockey Without Barriers" Night - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Mann Reflects on Season at Midway Point - Belleville Senators
- Moose to Skate with Minor Hockey Teams - Manitoba Moose
- Get a Free IceHogs Block Figurine at LEGO/Autism Awareness Night - Rockford IceHogs
- Phantoms Loan Fitzgerald and Drake to Reading - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Tampa Bay Lightning Reassign Forward Alex Volkov to Syracuse Crunch - Syracuse Crunch
- Springfield Thunderbirds Announce Hockey Fights Cancer Donations - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Dallas Stars Acquire Forward Oula Palve from Pittsburgh in Exchange for Defenseman John Nyberg - Texas Stars
- Reign Sign Griffen Molino to PTO - Ontario Reign
- Brayden Burke Selected to 2020 All-Star Classic - Tucson Roadrunners
- Condors Benson Named to the 2020 AHL All-Star Classic - Bakersfield Condors
- Bakersfield's Benson, Tucson's Burke Added to Roster for 2020 AHL All-Star Classic - AHL
- Coyotes Recall Capobianco; Assign Prosvetov to Tucson - Tucson Roadrunners
- Heat Look to Bounce Back Friday in Ontario - Stockton Heat
- Rochester Americans Game Preview: Friday, January 17, 2020 vs. Cleveland Monsters - Rochester Americans
- Jets Recall Cameron Schilling from the Manitoba Moose - Manitoba Moose
- T-Birds Visit Crunch, Bruins this Weekend - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Game 36 Preview: Tucson at San Diego - Tucson Roadrunners
- Sound Tigers Hungry for Points against Bruins - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Rampage Hold on for Win over Marlies - San Antonio Rampage
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.