Bailey's Second Straight Hat Trick Powers Comets To Win
Utica, NY - Justin Bailey recorded his second straight and third hat trick in four games as the Comets topped the Hartford Wolf Pack 6-3 Friday night at the Adirondack Bank Center. Olli Juolevi, Kole Lind, and Carter Camper also added goals for Utica. Zane McIntyre made five saves on seven shots before being replaced by Michael DiPietro, who made 20 saves to earn the win.
Nick Jones struck first for Hartford 8:36 into the first period, beating McIntyre with a seeing eye shot from the point. Vinni Lettieri doubled the lead with a power play goal three minutes later. Lind cut the lead in half with 1:16 to go in the first, ripping a wrist shot over the glove of Tom McCollum.
Juolevi tied the game at two when the Comets broke in on a three-on-two rush and Reid Boucher fed the defenseman at the top of the circles and he fired a wrister to the top corner. Bailey gave the Comets their first lead of the night five minutes later, fighting through a number of stick checks before firing a shot past McCollum. Hartford responded a minute later when Shawn McBride capitalized on a loose puck in front and tied the game at three. Bailey scored again with 3:44 to go in the second, creating a turnover in the Comets' offensive zone and burying a shot from the right circle.
Camper and Bailey added empty net goals in the final two and a half minutes to seal the win.
The Comets are back at it tomorrow night against the Cleveland Monsters. Puck drop at the Adirondack Bank Center is at 7 p.m. Tickets are still available at the Box Office, over the phone by calling (315) 790-9070, or online at www.empirestatetix.com. The game can be heard on 94.9 KROCK and viewed on AHLTV.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 17, 2020
- Barracuda Tame Wild 3-1 - San Jose Barracuda
- Iowa Falls to San Jose 3-1 - Iowa Wild
- Stars Top Penguins 4-3 in Shootout Thriller - Texas Stars
- Penguins Fight Back, But Lose in Shootout to Stars - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Amerks Force Overtime, But Fall in Shootout to Monsters - Rochester Americans
- Phantoms Halt Streaking Devils in 4-1 Win - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- P-Bruins Comeback Falls Short in 2-1 Loss to Bridgeport Sound Tigers - Providence Bruins
- Coreau makes season-high 43 saves in tough win on the road - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Monsters End Skid with Thrilling 4-3 Shootout Win over Amerks - Cleveland Monsters
- Bailey Lifts Comets past Pack - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Bailey's Second Straight Hat Trick Powers Comets To Win - Utica Comets
- Crunch Downed by Thunderbirds, 4-1 - Syracuse Crunch
- Bednard Brilliant to Earn 4-1 T-Birds Win in AHL Debut - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Iowa Wild Forward Mason Shaw Set to Make Season Debut - Iowa Wild
- Griffins Host "Hockey Without Barriers" Night - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Mann Reflects on Season at Midway Point - Belleville Senators
- Moose to Skate with Minor Hockey Teams - Manitoba Moose
- Get a Free IceHogs Block Figurine at LEGO/Autism Awareness Night - Rockford IceHogs
- Phantoms Loan Fitzgerald and Drake to Reading - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Tampa Bay Lightning Reassign Forward Alex Volkov to Syracuse Crunch - Syracuse Crunch
- Springfield Thunderbirds Announce Hockey Fights Cancer Donations - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Dallas Stars Acquire Forward Oula Palve from Pittsburgh in Exchange for Defenseman John Nyberg - Texas Stars
- Reign Sign Griffen Molino to PTO - Ontario Reign
- Brayden Burke Selected to 2020 All-Star Classic - Tucson Roadrunners
- Condors Benson Named to the 2020 AHL All-Star Classic - Bakersfield Condors
- Bakersfield's Benson, Tucson's Burke Added to Roster for 2020 AHL All-Star Classic - AHL
- Coyotes Recall Capobianco; Assign Prosvetov to Tucson - Tucson Roadrunners
- Heat Look to Bounce Back Friday in Ontario - Stockton Heat
- Rochester Americans Game Preview: Friday, January 17, 2020 vs. Cleveland Monsters - Rochester Americans
- Jets Recall Cameron Schilling from the Manitoba Moose - Manitoba Moose
- T-Birds Visit Crunch, Bruins this Weekend - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Game 36 Preview: Tucson at San Diego - Tucson Roadrunners
- Sound Tigers Hungry for Points against Bruins - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Rampage Hold on for Win over Marlies - San Antonio Rampage
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Utica Comets Stories
- Comets Hire Jason Shaya as AHL TV Broadcaster
- Comets Announce Details of Training Camp
- Comets Captain Carter Bancks Announces Retirement from AHL
- Canucks & Blues to Share AHL Affiliate Utica Comets
- Comets One of 28 Teams to Participate in 2020-21 American Hockey League Season