Crunch Downed by Thunderbirds, 4-1
SYRACUSE, N.Y. --- The Syracuse Crunch were downed by the Springfield Thunderbirds, 4-1, tonight at Upstate Medical University Arena.
After heading into the final frame knotted, 1-1, the Thunderbirds rallied for a three-goal period to take the win. The Crunch are now 18-18-2-2 on the season.
Goaltender Spencer Martin stopped 19-of-22 between the pipes for the Crunch. Ryan Bednard turned aside 36-of-37 in net for the Thunderbirds. Syracuse was unable to convert on two power play opportunities, but went 1-for-1 on the penalty kill.
The Thunderbirds opened scoring 7:21 into the game. Ethan Prow got a pass from Daniel Audette and wristed a shot from the slot. Liam Pecararo earned the secondary assist.
Halfway through the first period, the Crunch evened the score. Otto Somppi battled behind the cage before centering a feed for Dennis Yan to chip in. Jimmy Huntington tallied a point on the play.
After a scoreless middle frame, the Thunderbirds regained the lead 7:04 into the third period. Owen Tippett fired in a shot from the bottom of the left circle off assists from Thomas Schemitsch and Tommy Cross. Two minutes later, they doubled their lead when Audette scored with a long shot from the blue line. Prow and Jack Rodewald tallied the helpers.
Rob O'Gara secured the win for Springfield with an empty-netter in the final seconds.
The Crunch travel to face the Binghamton Devils tomorrow at 7:05 p.m.
Ticket packages and single game tickets for the 2019-20 season are on sale now and can be purchased in person at the Crunch office located inside the War Memorial Arena at 800 S. State St. in Syracuse, by calling the office at 315-473-4444 or online through Ticketmaster. For the latest Crunch news, visit www.syracusecrunch.com or follow the club on Facebook (www.facebook.com/syracusecrunch), Twitter (@SyracuseCrunch) and Instagram (@syracusecrunch) using #SyrCrunch.
Crunchables: The Crunch are 0-5-1-1 when tied after two periods this season.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 17, 2020
- Barracuda Tame Wild 3-1 - San Jose Barracuda
- Iowa Falls to San Jose 3-1 - Iowa Wild
- Stars Top Penguins 4-3 in Shootout Thriller - Texas Stars
- Penguins Fight Back, But Lose in Shootout to Stars - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Amerks Force Overtime, But Fall in Shootout to Monsters - Rochester Americans
- Phantoms Halt Streaking Devils in 4-1 Win - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- P-Bruins Comeback Falls Short in 2-1 Loss to Bridgeport Sound Tigers - Providence Bruins
- Coreau makes season-high 43 saves in tough win on the road - Bridgeport Islanders
- Monsters End Skid with Thrilling 4-3 Shootout Win over Amerks - Cleveland Monsters
- Bailey Lifts Comets past Pack - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Bailey's Second Straight Hat Trick Powers Comets To Win - Utica Comets
- Crunch Downed by Thunderbirds, 4-1 - Syracuse Crunch
- Bednard Brilliant to Earn 4-1 T-Birds Win in AHL Debut - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Iowa Wild Forward Mason Shaw Set to Make Season Debut - Iowa Wild
- Griffins Host "Hockey Without Barriers" Night - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Mann Reflects on Season at Midway Point - Belleville Senators
- Moose to Skate with Minor Hockey Teams - Manitoba Moose
- Get a Free IceHogs Block Figurine at LEGO/Autism Awareness Night - Rockford IceHogs
- Phantoms Loan Fitzgerald and Drake to Reading - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Tampa Bay Lightning Reassign Forward Alex Volkov to Syracuse Crunch - Syracuse Crunch
- Springfield Thunderbirds Announce Hockey Fights Cancer Donations - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Dallas Stars Acquire Forward Oula Palve from Pittsburgh in Exchange for Defenseman John Nyberg - Texas Stars
- Reign Sign Griffen Molino to PTO - Ontario Reign
- Brayden Burke Selected to 2020 All-Star Classic - Tucson Roadrunners
- Condors Benson Named to the 2020 AHL All-Star Classic - Bakersfield Condors
- Bakersfield's Benson, Tucson's Burke Added to Roster for 2020 AHL All-Star Classic - AHL
- Coyotes Recall Capobianco; Assign Prosvetov to Tucson - Tucson Roadrunners
- Heat Look to Bounce Back Friday in Ontario - Stockton Heat
- Rochester Americans Game Preview: Friday, January 17, 2020 vs. Cleveland Monsters - Rochester Americans
- Jets Recall Cameron Schilling from the Manitoba Moose - Manitoba Moose
- T-Birds Visit Crunch, Bruins this Weekend - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Game 36 Preview: Tucson at San Diego - Tucson Roadrunners
- Sound Tigers Hungry for Points against Bruins - Bridgeport Islanders
- Rampage Hold on for Win over Marlies - San Antonio Rampage
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Syracuse Crunch Stories
- Syracuse Crunch Single Game Tickets on Sale Now
- Syracuse Crunch Announce Preseason Schedule
- Syracuse Crunch to Require Proof of Full COVID-19 Vaccination at Upstate Medical University Arena
- Syracuse Crunch Sign Defenseman Ryan Jones to AHL Contract
- Syracuse Crunch Continue Partnership with CNY Central