Gulls Dominate Hogs at BMO Center
ROCKFORD, Ill. - The Rockford IceHogs losing streak continues after a 7-0 loss to the San Diego Gulls. A shutout performance by Gulls goaltender Tomas Suchanek and a couple of power-play goals gave San Diego the upper hand in its shutout victory in the stateline.
In the first period of play, the Gulls struck first on a power-play goal by Andrew Agozzino after a slashing call against the IceHogs (11:08). Agozzino skated up the left side of the ice and sent a wrister into the net to start the scoring.
Agozzino scored again in the first period with a little over three minutes left in the first period, on a backhand pass from Jacob Perreault to the right side of the net to double the Gulls lead (16:47).
The Gulls attacked the Hogs early with two goals in the first three minutes of play in the second period. Perreault scored on a faceoff on the right faceoff circle (1:26). Chase De Leo won the faceoff and Perreault skated towards the loose puck under the skirmish and sent a quick shot at the net.
Shortly after, Nathan Gaucher scored on an odd-man rush at the blue line (2:46). Nikita Nesterenko stole the puck and sent a short pass to Gaucher for the fourth goal of the game.
Jaxson Stauber was called off the bench as Drew Commesso was pulled from the game after 37 minutes of play and 12 saves.
The Gulls tallied another goal with two seconds left in the period. A battle against the boards led to the Gulls taking control of the puck behind the net where Brayden Tracey and Nathan Gaucher set up Judd Caulfield with a pass in the slot leading to a goal to put the Gulls ahead 5-0 (19:58).
In the final period, the Gulls continued to run up the scoreboard early. Braden Tracey sent a one-timer into the net to lead the Hogs by a touchdown (0:23). The Gulls scored the "extra-point" with a power-play goal by Gleen Gawdin giving Sad Diego a 7-0 lead (6:35).
Thomas Suchanek completed the shutout for the Gulls with 21 saves. Stauber stopped 12 of 15 shots.
The IceHogs return tomorrow for game two against the San Diego Gulls. Puck drop is set for 7 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from December 8, 2023
- Rory Kerins Notches Three Points in Calgary Victory - Manitoba Moose
- Gulls Shut Out IceHogs - San Diego Gulls
- Hunt Nets Two Goals In Eagles' 4-2 Victory Over Tucson - Colorado Eagles
- Admirals Tame Wild - Milwaukee Admirals
- Griffins Open Three-Game Weekend with 5-2 Loss to Senators - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Amerks Tripped up by Checkers, Drop Second Straight - Rochester Americans
- Sens Earn Third Straight Win, Extend Point Streak To Five Games, With Victory Over Griffins - Belleville Senators
- Iowa's Third Period Rally Falls Short in 4-2 Defeat - Iowa Wild
- Stars Skate Past Wolves on Teddy Bear Toss Night - Texas Stars
- Gulls Dominate Hogs at BMO Center - Rockford IceHogs
- Dipietro, P-Bruins Blank Phantoms for Sixth Straight Victory - Providence Bruins
- Checkers Torch Amerks 6-1 Behind Perlini Hat Trick - Charlotte Checkers
- Alex Belzile Stars in Return to Laval as Wolf Pack Storm Back to Win 4-3 in Shootout - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Wolves Downed by Stars 5-2 - Chicago Wolves
- Nylander Nabs Two as Penguins Trounce Monsters, 5-3 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Crunch Take Down Bears, 4-1 - Syracuse Crunch
- Monsters Come up Short in 5-3 Loss to Penguins - Cleveland Monsters
- Comets' Daws Victorious Versus Islanders in Return Game, 4-1 - Utica Comets
- Bears' Win Streak Snapped in 4-1 Loss to Crunch - Hershey Bears
- Game Notes: MB at CGY - Calgary Wranglers
- Morning Skate Report: December 8, 2023 - Henderson Silver Knights
- Predators Assign Two to Milwaukee - Milwaukee Admirals
- Western Mass News/Cozi TV to Broadcast Six Thunderbirds Games in 2023-24 - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Syracuse Crunch to Hold Knockout Poker Tournament at Turning Stone Resort Casino January 10 - Syracuse Crunch
- Wolf Pack Head North for Weekend Series with Rocket - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Game Preview: Iowa Wild vs. Milwaukee Admirals - Iowa Wild
- Rockford Welcomes San Diego to Stateline for First Meeting Since 2017 - Rockford IceHogs
- Bjork out 7-10 Days with Facial Injury - Rockford IceHogs
- Game Preview: Bears at Crunch, 7 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Penguins Sign Tanner Laderoute to PTO - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Game Preview: Condors at Reign, 7 p.m. - Bakersfield Condors
- Game #21: Tucson Roadrunners vs. Colorado Eagles - Tucson Roadrunners
- Bridgeport Islanders Begin Six-Game Road Trip in Utica - Bridgeport Islanders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.