Growlers Win First-Ever Meeting vs. Thunder
WICHITA, Kan. - Newfoundland scored three times in the first period and held down the Thunder offense in a 3-0 win on Wednesday night at INTRUST Bank Arena.
Evan Buitenhuis made 39 saves in the losing effort.
The Growlers didn't take long to jump out to a lead, scoring all three of their goals in the first. Ben Finkelstein scored at :21, intercepting a pass near the Thunder line and fired a shot past Buitenhuis for his third of the season.
At 6:03, Newfoundland made it 2-0 with a shorthanded goal from Todd Skirving. Orrin Centazzo made it 3-0 at 17:07 when he walked off the right wall and fired a shot past Buitenhuis to the glove side for his 12th of the year.
The Growlers were awarded six power plays, but the Thunder penalty kill held them off the board.
Wichita was held to 19 shots on net, which ties a season-low for fewest shots on net in a game.
The Thunder remains at home on Saturday night against Tulsa starting at 7:05 p.m.
Single game tickets are on sale now. Tickets can be purchased at the Wichita Thunder office located at 505 W. Maple, Suite 100, Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. On weekday game days, the Thunder office closes at 4 p.m. Click here to purchase online!
ï»¿Fans can also purchase tickets at the Select-A-Seat Box Office at INTRUST Bank Arena Monday through Friday 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. and starting at noon on weekend game days.
Season tickets for the 2021-22 season are still available. Join Thunder Nation today and lock in your seat(s) for all 36 home games at INTRUST Bank Arena.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 27, 2022
- Oilers Rout Rush 7-1, Extend Winning Streak to Four - Tulsa Oilers
- Grizzlies Earn Point in 4-3 OT Loss at Orlando - Utah Grizzlies
- Payne, Harper Each Score Twice as Thunder End Losing Skid - Adirondack Thunder
- Lions Lose in Glens Falls - Trois-Rivieres Lions
- Mariners Add Defenseman Jonathan Harty - Maine Mariners
- Lang Return to Norfolk from Chicago - Norfolk Admirals
- ECHL Transactions - January 27 - ECHL
- Grizzlies Gameday: Thursday Night Visit in Orlando - Utah Grizzlies
- ECHL Announces Fines, Suspensions - ECHL
- Ryback Comes Back to Atlanta in Trade - Atlanta Gladiators
- Game Preview: Solar Bears vs. Utah Grizzlies: January 27, 2022 - Orlando Solar Bears
- Game On: Worcester Railers to Host Fort Wayne Komets on Saturday, January 29 as Scheduled - Worcester Railers HC
- IceHogs Assign Chad Yetman to the Fuel - Indy Fuel
- Odeen Tufto Reassigned to Solar Bears - Orlando Solar Bears
- First Responder Jersey Auction Proceeds Donated to the Muscular Dystrophy Association - Florida Everblades
- Growlers Win First-Ever Meeting vs. Thunder - Wichita Thunder
- ECHL Announces Suspension - ECHL
- First Meeting of the Season Between the Lions and Thunder - Trois-Rivieres Lions
- Steelheads Rout Mavericks to Open Weekend Series, 9-4 - Idaho Steelheads
- Americans Rally Falls Short - Allen Americans
- Growlers Blank Thunder 3-0 - Newfoundland Growlers
- Golka Scores Twice and Landers Win 3rd Straight - Iowa Heartlanders
- Indy Falls to Iowa in Wednesday Night Matchup - Indy Fuel
- Chabot, Kelley, Help Rush Past Americans, 3-2 - Rapid City Rush
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Wichita Thunder Stories
- Thunder Unveils 2022-23 Regular Season Schedule
- Crinella Called up to Springfield; Rodrgiue Reassigned to Bakersfield
- NHL Exhibition Game Coming to INTRUST Bank Arena
- Thunder Announces 2021-22 End of Season Team Awards
- Thunder Ends Season with 4-1 Loss vs. Kansas City