Americans Rally Falls Short
Allen, Texas - The Allen Americans, ECHL affiliate of the Seattle Kraken (NHL), lost a tight battle against the Rapid City Rush on Wednesday night in Allen in front of a good crowd of 3,834.
The Americans, down 3-1 in the third period, rallied scoring late as Branden Troock cleared out the front of the Rapid City net and then put a backhander past Rush goalie Dillon Kelley for his 12th of the season to cut the lead to 3-2. The Americans pulled goalie Hayden Lavigne in the final 90 seconds of play but were unable to get the tying goal.
Tyler Poulsen was the best player on the ice for either team, scoring a goal, delivering the biggest hit of the night, and dropping the gloves with Rush forward Alec Butcher for the win.
"I was trying to get our team fired up as well as the crowd," said Americans forward Tyler Poulsen, about his fight in the second frame. "We didn't start strong but picked up the pace after the first period. Chad Costello made a perfect pass to me to set up my goal. We're just disappointed not coming away with any points.
The Americans gave up another shorthanded goal (15). It was the third straight game to give up a shorty.
With the loss on Wednesday night, the Americans dropped their fourth in a row, and seven of their last eight games.
The Americans also lost forward Chad Butcher due to injury in the opening period. He did not return. The Americans were already playing without injured players Gavin Gould, DJ Jerome and Eric Roy.
The Americans continue the homestand on Friday night when the Newfoundland Growlers make their first ever appearance in Allen.
Images from this story
Allen Americans vs. the Rapid City Rush
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 27, 2022
- Oilers Rout Rush 7-1, Extend Winning Streak to Four - Tulsa Oilers
- Grizzlies Earn Point in 4-3 OT Loss at Orlando - Utah Grizzlies
- Payne, Harper Each Score Twice as Thunder End Losing Skid - Adirondack Thunder
- Lions Lose in Glens Falls - Trois-Rivieres Lions
- Mariners Add Defenseman Jonathan Harty - Maine Mariners
- Lang Return to Norfolk from Chicago - Norfolk Admirals
- ECHL Transactions - January 27 - ECHL
- Grizzlies Gameday: Thursday Night Visit in Orlando - Utah Grizzlies
- ECHL Announces Fines, Suspensions - ECHL
- Ryback Comes Back to Atlanta in Trade - Atlanta Gladiators
- Game Preview: Solar Bears vs. Utah Grizzlies: January 27, 2022 - Orlando Solar Bears
- Game On: Worcester Railers to Host Fort Wayne Komets on Saturday, January 29 as Scheduled - Worcester Railers HC
- IceHogs Assign Chad Yetman to the Fuel - Indy Fuel
- Odeen Tufto Reassigned to Solar Bears - Orlando Solar Bears
- First Responder Jersey Auction Proceeds Donated to the Muscular Dystrophy Association - Florida Everblades
- Growlers Win First-Ever Meeting vs. Thunder - Wichita Thunder
- ECHL Announces Suspension - ECHL
- First Meeting of the Season Between the Lions and Thunder - Trois-Rivieres Lions
- Steelheads Rout Mavericks to Open Weekend Series, 9-4 - Idaho Steelheads
- Americans Rally Falls Short - Allen Americans
- Growlers Blank Thunder 3-0 - Newfoundland Growlers
- Golka Scores Twice and Landers Win 3rd Straight - Iowa Heartlanders
- Indy Falls to Iowa in Wednesday Night Matchup - Indy Fuel
- Chabot, Kelley, Help Rush Past Americans, 3-2 - Rapid City Rush
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.