Steelheads Rout Mavericks to Open Weekend Series, 9-4
BOISE, Idaho - The Idaho Steelheads (21-16-1) came out firing on all cylinders with a season-high nine goals during a 9-4 rout of the Kansas City Mavericks (18-19-1) on Wednesday night from Idaho Central Arena.
THE GAME'S STO--RY
The Steelheads' scoring started early and swiftly with two tallies separated by just 40 seconds starting with forward Mason Mitchell (3:04 1st) on an open net followed by a wrap-around by Shawn McBride (3:44 1st) to stretch to an early 2-0 lead. The two sides see-sawed the next five goals with Kansas City power play tallies separating second period strikes by forward A.J. White (PP, 4:22 2nd) on a rebound put back as well as an unassisted tally from Mitchell (11:55 2nd) and a one-time blast from forward Colton Kehler (16:22 2nd) to spread the lead to 5-3. That tally started a five-unanswered run that was continued by forward Yauheni Aksiantsiuk (17:49 2nd) on a breakaway, the second for Kehler (PP, 2:48 3rd), another goal for Aksiantsiuk (11:08 3rd), and the first professional goal for Willie Knierim (16:43 3rd). Despite a late Mavericks goal, the Steelheads strolled to the 9-4 result.
ICCU 3 STARS OF THE GAME
1. IDH - Yauheni Aksiantsiuk (two goals, two assists)
2. IDH - Colton Kehler (two goals, assist)
3. IDH - Mason Mitchell (two goals, fight)
PEPSI PLAYER OF THE GAME
Steelheads Offense - season-best nine goals
- Yauheni Aksiantsiuk: Aksiantsiuk recorded his third multi-goal game in six contests, matching a team-high four points on the night. He had four multi-point games in that six-game stretch and leads the team with 16 goals.
- Mason Mitchell: In his first game in Boise, Mitchell earned a multi-goal game and his first goals with the Steelheads. He has points in three of four games (2-3-5) since joining the team last Friday.
- Colton Kehler: Kehler posted his first multi-goal game of the season and second with multiple points, joining his two assists on Opening Night. With his three-point game, he now owns 18 points (8-10-18) on the season.
- Colton Point: With a 28-save performance in 45:58 minutes, Point now has wins in four of his last five contests and held opponents to three goals or less in all four wins.
CATCH OF THE DAY
The Steelheads posted their best offensive night of the season with nine goals to open the weekend. The Steelheads tied or eclipsed two different scoring marks for the season in the same game: the nine total goals passes the previous high of seven tallies, and four goals in the second period matches a season-high for most in a single period, both of which coming since Opening Night on October 22 against Utah (7-3 W). Additionally, the nine goals scored is the most since the Steelheads also scored nine against Rapid City on Dec. 28, 2018 in a 9-1 road win, and it's the most home goals since a nine-goal night on Jan. 27, 2006 against the Las Vegas Wranglers (9-5 W). The Steelheads have scored eight goals or more at home now 12 times in the ECHL era with the most recent on Oct. 21, 2016 against Utah (8-4 W). The most goals scored in a game in the ECHL era came at home on Feb. 18, 2005 against the Victoria Salmon Kings in a 12-3 victory.
The Steelheads and Mavericks meet for game two of the weekend on Friday, Jan. 28 at 7:10 p.m. from Idaho Central Arena. Tickets are available by going to idahosteelheads.com or calling 208-331-TIXS. Coverage begins at 6:50 p.m. on 95.3FM/1350AM "The Ticket" as well as 7:00 p.m. on Sparklight Ch. 72 & FloHockey.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 27, 2022
- Oilers Rout Rush 7-1, Extend Winning Streak to Four - Tulsa Oilers
- Grizzlies Earn Point in 4-3 OT Loss at Orlando - Utah Grizzlies
- Payne, Harper Each Score Twice as Thunder End Losing Skid - Adirondack Thunder
- Lions Lose in Glens Falls - Trois-Rivieres Lions
- Mariners Add Defenseman Jonathan Harty - Maine Mariners
- Lang Return to Norfolk from Chicago - Norfolk Admirals
- ECHL Transactions - January 27 - ECHL
- Grizzlies Gameday: Thursday Night Visit in Orlando - Utah Grizzlies
- ECHL Announces Fines, Suspensions - ECHL
- Ryback Comes Back to Atlanta in Trade - Atlanta Gladiators
- Game Preview: Solar Bears vs. Utah Grizzlies: January 27, 2022 - Orlando Solar Bears
- Game On: Worcester Railers to Host Fort Wayne Komets on Saturday, January 29 as Scheduled - Worcester Railers HC
- IceHogs Assign Chad Yetman to the Fuel - Indy Fuel
- Odeen Tufto Reassigned to Solar Bears - Orlando Solar Bears
- First Responder Jersey Auction Proceeds Donated to the Muscular Dystrophy Association - Florida Everblades
- Growlers Win First-Ever Meeting vs. Thunder - Wichita Thunder
- ECHL Announces Suspension - ECHL
- First Meeting of the Season Between the Lions and Thunder - Trois-Rivieres Lions
- Steelheads Rout Mavericks to Open Weekend Series, 9-4 - Idaho Steelheads
- Americans Rally Falls Short - Allen Americans
- Growlers Blank Thunder 3-0 - Newfoundland Growlers
- Golka Scores Twice and Landers Win 3rd Straight - Iowa Heartlanders
- Indy Falls to Iowa in Wednesday Night Matchup - Indy Fuel
- Chabot, Kelley, Help Rush Past Americans, 3-2 - Rapid City Rush
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.