Griffins Secure First Shutout Win of the Season
November 25, 2022 - American Hockey League (AHL) - Grand Rapids Griffins News Release
GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. - In the Teddy Bear Toss game, the Grand Rapids Griffins shut out the Manitoba Moose for a 3-0 victory at Van Andel Arena on Friday.
Tonight was Jussi Olkinuora's (26 saves) first shutout since Dec. 14, 2013 and the first for Grand Rapids since March 5, 2022 against the Iowa Wild. Pontus Andreasson continued his scoring run with a goal in the second stanza and has 11 points in his last nine outings (5-6-11). The Swede's tally streak is tied with Dominik Shine's three-game goal stretch from Oct. 23-30 and Jonatan Berggren's from Oct. 30-Nov. 4. Chase Pearson made his season debut and bagged an assist on Andreasson's goal.
Kyle Criscuolo brought on the barrage of teddy bears in the opening period just three seconds after a power play expired. Andreasson rifled in a shot from in front of the blue line and Criscuolo tapped in a rebound from the crease at 16:02 to take the lead. The teddy bear toss from the crowd sent the two teams into intermission with 3:58 left in the first, but no goals were scored in the remainder of the frame.
The Griffins had 1:22 of 5-on-3 hockey beginning at 9:27 in the second period, but Manitoba killed off the penalty to stay within one. However, Andreasson lit the lamp from the goalmouth at 13:22 by fighting through the contact and firing the puck into the top-right corner of the cage for a 2-0 lead.
The Moose pulled Arvid Holm with 2:41 to go in the contest, but Joel L'Esperance scored an empty netter at 19:09 for a 3-0 victory at the Van.
- The Griffins collected 3,000+ teddy bears for the Billy Bear Hug Foundation, supporting kids in West Michigan.
- Olkinuora recorded his fifth win of the season, tying his AHL high from 2013-14 with the St. John's IceCaps. Tonight is also Olkinuora's third-consecutive win.
Manitoba 0 0 0 - 0
Grand Rapids 1 1 1 - 3
1st Period-1, Grand Rapids, Criscuolo 2 (Andreasson), 16:02. Penalties-Bauer Mb (fighting), 3:05; Smith Gr (fighting), 3:05; Kubicek Mb (cross-checking), 13:59; Polei Mb (unsportsmanlike conduct), 19:33; Shine Gr (unsportsmanlike conduct), 19:33.
2nd Period-2, Grand Rapids, Andreasson 5 (Pearson, Shine), 13:22. Penalties-Torgersson Mb (tripping), 8:49; Nikkanen Mb (delay of game - faceoff violation (batting puck with hand)), 9:27; Smith Gr (instigating, misconduct - instigating), 13:50.
3rd Period-3, Grand Rapids, L'Esperance 7 (Hirose, Edvinsson), 19:09 (EN). Penalties-Smith Gr (roughing), 13:18.
Shots on Goal-Manitoba 6-11-9-26. Grand Rapids 12-17-5-34.
Power Play Opportunities-Manitoba 0 / 2; Grand Rapids 0 / 3.
Goalies-Manitoba, Holm 3-2-2 (33 shots-31 saves). Grand Rapids, Olkinuora 5-4-0 (26 shots-26 saves).
1. GR Andreasson (goal, assist); 2. GR Olkinuora (W, 26 saves); 3. GR Criscuolo (goal).
Record / Next Game
Grand Rapids: 8-8-1-0 (17 pts.) / Sat., Nov. 26 vs. Manitoba 7 p.m. EST
Manitoba: 8-5-2-0 (18 pts.) / Sat., Nov. 26 at Griffins 6 p.m. CST
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from November 25, 2022
- Three-Goal Second Period Propels Colorado to 5-1 Victory Over Iowa - Iowa Wild
- Galchenyuk Nets Two Goals In Eagles' 5-1 Win Over Iowa - Colorado Eagles
- Belleville Sens Fall to Laval Rocket - Belleville Senators
- Malone, Murray Lead Amerks Past Bridgeport in Overtime - Rochester Americans
- Toronto Marlies Host Cleveland Monsters in Second Half of Back-to-Back - Toronto Marlies
- Griffins Secure First Shutout Win of the Season - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Stars Storm Past Wolves for Five-Goal Victory - Texas Stars
- Foerster and Desnoyers Score as Phantoms Land Road Standings Point - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Wolves Fall to Stars 6-1 - Chicago Wolves
- Ads' Streak Ends in Rockord - Milwaukee Admirals
- Third-Period Comeback Clinches Tokarski's 200th Win - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Arvid Holm Finishes With 31 Saves In Loss For Moose - Manitoba Moose
- Monsters Drop First Game of Home-and-Home Series 4-1 to Marlies - Cleveland Monsters
- Tim Gettinger Strikes Late, But Bears Hold off Wolf Pack in Tight 2-1 Battle - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Bears Road Trip Continues with 2-1 Victory over Wolf Pack - Hershey Bears
- Brazeau, Toporowski, Callahan Help P-Bruins Top Crunch 5-3 - Providence Bruins
- Crunch Fall to Bruins, 5-3 - Syracuse Crunch
- Barracuda Deal Knights 5-2 Loss on Black Friday - San Jose Barracuda
- Henderson Defeated by San Jose, 5-2 - Henderson Silver Knights
- Justin Sourdif Scores in Overtime to Give Checkers 3-2 Win over Utica - Charlotte Checkers
- Comets Comeback Falls Short in Overtime against Checkers, 3-2 - Utica Comets
- Calgary Wranglers Defeat Abbotsford Canucks 5-1 in First Ever Meeting - Abbotsford Canucks
- San Diego Gulls to Host Fourth Annual Hockey Fights Cancer Game Saturday, November 26 - San Diego Gulls
- Griffins Reassign Trenton Bliss - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Belleville Sens Make Two Roster Moves Ahead of Weekend Set with Laval - Belleville Senators
- Wolf Pack Welcome Bears for Weekend Back-To-Back Set - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Game Preview: Iowa Wild at Colorado Eagles - Iowa Wild
- Game Preview: Bears at Wolf Pack, 7 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Tampa Bay Lightning Recall Forward Alex Barre-Boulet from Syracuse Crunch - Syracuse Crunch
- Hot Hogs Take on First Place Admirals - Rockford IceHogs
- Hughes' Late Goal Completes Thanksgiving Comeback For Firebirds - Coachella Valley Firebirds
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Grand Rapids Griffins Stories
- Griffins Sign Dylan St. Cyr to ATO
- Griffins Sign William Wallinder to ATO
- Griffins Rally To Earn Point Against Chicago
- Detroit Returns Taro Hirose to Griffins
- Griffins Sign Ryan Bednard to PTO