Comets Comeback Falls Short in Overtime against Checkers, 3-2
Charlotte, NC. - The Comets headed to North Carolina to take on the Atlantic Division Checkers on Friday night. Despite being down by two goals in the third period, the Comets came back to tie the contest on the way to overtime. The Comets unfortunately didn't get a shot in the overtime that ended just one shift into the game. The Comets received one point in the standings in the 3-2 loss. It was their second overtime loss of the season.
After a scoreless first period, the Checkers struck first when a Michael Del Zotto point shot on the power-play was deflected by Zac Dalpe and rolled into the cage behind Nico Daws at 6:31. This put Charlotte up 1-0. Later in the period, a wrist shot by Riley Nash went off the glove of Daws and into the net at 12:18
It was the third period where the Comets came out firing and after getting their first power-play of the game, a perfect pass by Alex Holtz to Andreas Johnsson hit the post and rolled into the net at 5:35. Alex Holtz has assists in back-to-back games and Nolan Stevens was also credited with an assist on the tally. Later it was team captain Ryan Schmelzer who kept the puck from leaving the Charlotte zone and blasted a wrist shot that fooled Alex Lyon on the way to the net at 8:16. The goal was unassisted. The period ended 2-2 and the game headed to three-on-three overtime.
It only took 18 seconds to win the game for the Checkers as Justin Sourdif wristed a shot that beat Daws on the first shift of overtime and gave the Comets a 3-2 victory.
The Comets are back to action tomorrow at 6:00 PM against Charlotte inside Bojangles Coliseumr before returning home again next week Wednesday against Laval at 7:00 PM.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from November 25, 2022
- Three-Goal Second Period Propels Colorado to 5-1 Victory Over Iowa - Iowa Wild
- Galchenyuk Nets Two Goals In Eagles' 5-1 Win Over Iowa - Colorado Eagles
- Belleville Sens Fall to Laval Rocket - Belleville Senators
- Malone, Murray Lead Amerks Past Bridgeport in Overtime - Rochester Americans
- Toronto Marlies Host Cleveland Monsters in Second Half of Back-to-Back - Toronto Marlies
- Griffins Secure First Shutout Win of the Season - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Stars Storm Past Wolves for Five-Goal Victory - Texas Stars
- Foerster and Desnoyers Score as Phantoms Land Road Standings Point - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Wolves Fall to Stars 6-1 - Chicago Wolves
- Ads' Streak Ends in Rockord - Milwaukee Admirals
- Third-Period Comeback Clinches Tokarski's 200th Win - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Arvid Holm Finishes With 31 Saves In Loss For Moose - Manitoba Moose
- Monsters Drop First Game of Home-and-Home Series 4-1 to Marlies - Cleveland Monsters
- Tim Gettinger Strikes Late, But Bears Hold off Wolf Pack in Tight 2-1 Battle - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Bears Road Trip Continues with 2-1 Victory over Wolf Pack - Hershey Bears
- Brazeau, Toporowski, Callahan Help P-Bruins Top Crunch 5-3 - Providence Bruins
- Crunch Fall to Bruins, 5-3 - Syracuse Crunch
- Barracuda Deal Knights 5-2 Loss on Black Friday - San Jose Barracuda
- Henderson Defeated by San Jose, 5-2 - Henderson Silver Knights
- Justin Sourdif Scores in Overtime to Give Checkers 3-2 Win over Utica - Charlotte Checkers
- Comets Comeback Falls Short in Overtime against Checkers, 3-2 - Utica Comets
- Calgary Wranglers Defeat Abbotsford Canucks 5-1 in First Ever Meeting - Abbotsford Canucks
- San Diego Gulls to Host Fourth Annual Hockey Fights Cancer Game Saturday, November 26 - San Diego Gulls
- Griffins Reassign Trenton Bliss - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Belleville Sens Make Two Roster Moves Ahead of Weekend Set with Laval - Belleville Senators
- Wolf Pack Welcome Bears for Weekend Back-To-Back Set - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Game Preview: Iowa Wild at Colorado Eagles - Iowa Wild
- Game Preview: Bears at Wolf Pack, 7 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Tampa Bay Lightning Recall Forward Alex Barre-Boulet from Syracuse Crunch - Syracuse Crunch
- Hot Hogs Take on First Place Admirals - Rockford IceHogs
- Hughes' Late Goal Completes Thanksgiving Comeback For Firebirds - Coachella Valley Firebirds
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.