Everblades Claim Preseason Opener vs. Orlando
ESTERO, Fla. - After four months away from the ice, the Everblades returned to Hertz Arena in style on Friday night by taking a 4-1 win in their preseason opener against the Orlando Solar Bears.
The Solar Bears struck first on the scoreboard seven minutes into the game when Fabrizio Ricci passed the puck from behind the net to the low slot. Joseph Garreffa was on the receiving end to knuckle a shot past Everblades goaltender Tomas Vomacka and in.
The Everblades responded at the 13:42 marker of the first period after Jake Kearley and Austin McIlmurray entered the attacking zone on an odd-man rush. Kearley's initial shot was blocked by Orlando netminder Zachary Emond before McIlmurray banked home the rebound along the near post.
The Blades and Solar Bears went scoreless in the second stanza with each goaltender putting on a clinic. Florida led the period 10-6 in shots on net while being on top of the category 23-18 overall.
Florida earned their first lead of the game 3:20 into the third period. Zach Remers connected with Blake Winiecki, who went top-shelf from between the circles to make it a 2-1 game. The Blades ran away with the game from there, stacking on tallies from Xavier Bouchard and Austin McIlmurray, who earned his second goal of the game to solidify a 4-1 Everblades win.
Florida saw points from nine different players, including assists from Jake Kearley, Zach Remers, Jordan Sambrook, John McCarron, Levko Koper and Zach Wilkie. Tomas Vomacka earned the win in his first professional appearance between the pipes, stopping 27 of 28 shots faced.
The Everblades and Solar Bears will meet again in the preseason finale tomorrow evening with a 7:00 pm puck drop at Hertz Arena.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from October 15, 2021
- Oilers Knock off Thunder in Preseason Contest, 7-5 - Wichita Thunder
- Everblades Claim Preseason Opener vs. Orlando - Florida Everblades
- Solar Bears Surrender Three in Third Period of 4-1 Loss to Everblades - Orlando Solar Bears
- Ross Olsson Scores Twice as Railers Defeat Mariners 5-3 in Pre-Season Game #1 - Worcester Railers HC
- Greenville and Anyang Halla Kick off Atlanta Hockey Showcase 2021 - Atlanta Gladiators
- Royals Shutout Thunder, 4-0, in Preseason Opener - Reading Royals
- Team White Edges Team Gold, 2-1 - Wheeling Nailers
- Lions Agree to Terms with Two Players - Trois-Rivieres Lions
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Everblades: October 15, 2021 - Orlando Solar Bears
- Icemen Announce Four Additions to Training Camp Roster - Jacksonville Icemen
- ECHL Transactions - October 15 - ECHL
- Heartlanders Home Opener Televised on MC22 - Iowa Heartlanders
- Jack Combs Signs with Allen - Allen Americans
- Windsor Heads to Europe - Orlando Solar Bears
- Norfolk Admirals Announce COVID-19 Policy for 2021-22 Season - Norfolk Admirals
- Thunder, Field Pass Hockey Renews Streaming Agreement - Wichita Thunder
- Hammond Signs PTO with Henderson Silver Knights - South Carolina Stingrays
- Exhibition Games Canceled - Fort Wayne Komets
- Royals Open Preseason with Game against Thunder - Reading Royals
- UMaine Alum Tralmaks Assigned to Mariners Camp - Maine Mariners
- Nailers, Komets Preseason Games Cancelled - Wheeling Nailers
- Everblades Host Orlando in Preseason Game Friday Night - Florida Everblades
- Atlanta Hockey Showcase 2021 Begins Tonight - Atlanta Gladiators
- Heartlanders at Kansas City for Preseason Showdown - Iowa Heartlanders
- Cumberland County Announces Updated COVID-19 Protocols for Cross Insurance Arena - Maine Mariners
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.