Early Goal Sets Fuel in Motion
INDIANAPOLIS, IN- Friday night's game at Indiana Farmers Coliseum didn't get off to a great start for the Wheeling Nailers, and unfortunately, they were unable to recover. Jan Mandat scored 23 seconds into the contest, setting off a string of five straight Indy Fuel goals, as they defeated the Nailers, 5-1. Patrick Watling extended his point streak to ten with the lone Wheeling tally.
One goal was scored in the first period, and it came in quick fashion, as the Fuel found the net just 23 seconds into the match. Darien Craighead centered the puck to Jan Mandat, who drilled a one-timer into the top-right corner of the net.
The Nailers had one break go their way, and one break go against them in the middle frame. C.J. Eick appeared to give Indy a 2-0 lead with 4:29 remaining, but the goal was wiped off the board, due to goaltender interference by Griff Jeska. However, 1:17 later, the Fuel were awarded a penalty shot, as Wheeling was guilty of having a skater cover the puck in the crease. Jared Thomas scored on the attempt with a rocket of a slap shot from the right circle.
Indy extended its lead in the third period. At the 4:18 mark, Eick got a goal that counted when he cashed in on a scramble in front of the net. Mandat's second of the night into the top shelf and a shorthanded empty netter by Jeska capped off the scoring for the Fuel, before Patrick Watling's wrist shot from the top of the right circle on the power play gave Wheeling its lone marker of the contest in a 5-1 final.
Mitch Gillam picked up the win for Indy, as he made 24 saves on 25 shots. Stefanos Lekkas suffered the defeat for the Nailers, as he stopped 32 of the 36 shots he faced.
The Nailers and Fuel will travel across I-70 and meet in Wheeling on Saturday at 7:10. The game will feature a regift exchange, in which fans can bring an unwrapped gift to the game, and swap it out for a new one. The Nailers will also play at home on Sunday at 4:10 against the Kalamazoo Wings. Following that game, there will be a skate with odd-numbered players. Season memberships, single game tickets, and holiday packages are available, and fans can get more information by calling (304) 234-GOAL. The Wheeling Nailers, considered one of the top things to do in Wheeling, West Virginia, provide affordable family entertainment for fans throughout the Ohio Valley.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 7, 2022
- Justin Vaive Scores Teddy Bear Toss Goal in 5-4 Win - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Stingrays Drop Opener in Florida - South Carolina Stingrays
- K-Wings Streak Halted on Rainbow Ice, Fall to Walleye 4-2 - Kalamazoo Wings
- Nesbitt and Davison Seal Game in Shootout - Atlanta Gladiators
- Rabbits Fall Short in Shootout Loss to Gladiators - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Walleye Defeat Wings, 4-2, on Big Performances from Keenan and Schultz - Toledo Walleye
- Blades Prosper in 8-3 Scorefest - Florida Everblades
- Cecere, Gooch Lead Comeback Victory over Railers, 3-2 - Reading Royals
- Mariners Take Down Thunder Again for Fourth Straight Win - Maine Mariners
- Fuel Hammer the Nailers 5-1 - Indy Fuel
- Early Goal Sets Fuel in Motion - Wheeling Nailers
- Royals Storm Back Late to Defeat Railers 3-2 in Overtime - Worcester Railers HC
- Forward Kyle Marino Assigned to Steelheads by Chicago Wolves - Idaho Steelheads
- ECHL Transactions - January 7 - ECHL
- Michael Lackey Signs PTO with Chicago Wolves - Indy Fuel
- Everblades Welcome Back Trio from Milwaukee - Florida Everblades
- Jesse Liebman Named to Broadcast Team for 2022 Warrior/ECHL All-Star Classic - Orlando Solar Bears
- Broadcasters Named for 2022 Warrior/ECHL All-Star Classic - ECHL
- Game Notes: vs Iowa - Rapid City Rush
- Nelson, Baylis, Coatta and Wichers Returned from Tucson - Rapid City Rush
- First Place Grizzlies in Boise - Utah Grizzlies
- Third of Four-Straight Games against Railers Set for 7:00 p.m. at Santander Arena - Reading Royals
- ECHL Postpones this Weekend's Norfolk Admirals Games - Norfolk Admirals
- Icemen's Games at Norfolk on Friday & Saturday Postponed - Jacksonville Icemen
- See the Stanley Cup in Person - Jacksonville Icemen
- Kielly Rejoins Gladiators, Balsamo Dealt to Kalamazoo - Atlanta Gladiators
- Everblades Host Stingrays for First Time this Season - Florida Everblades
- Wichita Heads to Kansas City for Three-Straight Starting Tonight - Wichita Thunder
- Game Day Preview: Americans Host Tulsa, 7:05 PM - Allen Americans
- Table Is Set for Weekend Series against Swamp Rabbits - Atlanta Gladiators
- Morning Tea: Swamp Rabbits at Gladiators - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.