Eagles Dominate Reign, 6-2 to Win Third Straight
LOVELAND, CO. - The Colorado Eagles jumped out to a 4-0 lead in the first period and never looked back, as Colorado claimed the 6-2 victory over the Ontario Reign for their third consecutive win. Goaltender Pavel Francouz improved to 3-0-0 on the season by stopping 32 of the 34 shots he faced, while forward J.C. Beaudin netted two goals and five different Eagles registered a multi-point night.
Eagles forward Logan O'Connor started the onslaught when he weaved his way between the circles before firing a wrister past Reign goalie Peter Budaj to give Colorado the 1-0 edge just 4:33 into the contest.
Later in the first period, Beaudin would bury a shot from the right circle to extend Colorado's advantage to 2-0 at the 12:06 mark of the first period. Less than two minutes later, forward Andrew Agozzino would make it a 3-0 Eagles lead when he stuffed home a rebound on top of the crease.
Colorado would then pour it on via the power play when forward Michael Joly tracked down a loose puck in the crease and fed it into the back of the net to give the Eagles a 4-0 lead with 2:03 remaining in the opening frame.
Ontario would start the second period by replacing Budaj in net with Cal Petersen, but the change would not stem the tide for the Reign, as Beaudin would finish off a breakaway with a shot that would light the lamp and give Colorado the 5-0 advantage at the 8:29 mark of the period.
Just minutes later, forward A.J. Greer would deflect a puck in the low-slot into the back of the net on the power play to stretch the Eagles lead to 6-0 with 8:47 left in the second stanza.
The Reign would finally get on the scoreboard when defenseman Matt Roy stuffed a rebound in the crease into the cage, slicing Colorado's edge to 6-1 at the 18:16 mark of the second period.
Ontario would add a second goal in the third period off a wraparound from forward Mikey Eyssimont, trimming the Eagles lead to 6-2 with 9:50 remaining in the contest. The Reign would not come any closer, as Colorado would close out the remaining time to secure the 6-2 victory.
The Eagles finished the night going 2-for-5 on the power play, while also killing off all six of Ontario's chances on the man-advantage. Colorado also posted a season-high 38 shots on goal in the win.
The Eagles return to action on Saturday, October 20th when they conclude their two-game series with the Ontario Reign at 7:05pm MT at the Budweiser Events Center.
Single-game tickets for the 2018-19 season are on-sale now and start at just $18 per seat. Purchase your seats today by visiting the Budweiser Events Center box office, online at ColoradoEagles.com or by calling the Eagles ticketing department at 970-686-SHOT (7468).
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from October 20, 2018
- Stars Notch Third Straight Win in 3-1 Finish with Iowa - Texas Stars
- Iowa Wild Loses to Texas Stars 3-1 - Iowa Wild
- Amerks Win Streak Halted in 5-4 Overtime Loss to B-Sens - Rochester Americans
- Sislo and Dal Colle each score in setback to Bruins on Saturday - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Phantoms Power Past Penguins 6-3 - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Comets Outlast Crunch, 4-3 - Syracuse Crunch
- Penguins Fall to Phantoms in Second Half of Home and Home - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- P-Bruins Win 5-2 as Kovar Scores in Team Debut - Providence Bruins
- Chicago Wolves Drop First this Season - Chicago Wolves
- Balisy Scores OT Winner as Sens Beat Rochester - Belleville Senators
- Devils Offense Struggles Again in 4-0 Loss to Monsters - Binghamton Devils
- Comets Win Thriller in Syracuse - Utica Comets
- Kivlenieks Delivers Shutout in Season Debut, Monsters Roll Past Devils, 4-0 - Cleveland Monsters
- Penalty Kill Shines, Bears Blank Checkers - Hershey Bears
- Checkers Suffer First Loss of the Season - Charlotte Checkers
- Rocket Defence Allow 16 Shots in 4-2 Loss to Springfield - Laval Rocket
- Toronto Holds off Wolf Pack 3-2 - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Driedger Denies Late Rocket Comeback, Preserves T-Birds' Weekend Sweep - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Game #6 Preview: Tucson vs. Rockford - Tucson Roadrunners
- Marlies Return Home to Face Hartford - Toronto Marlies
- Devils Shut Down by Crunch, 4-0 - Binghamton Devils
- Bears Assign Milner to South Carolina - Hershey Bears
- Dallas Stars Assign Center Roope Hintz to Texas - Texas Stars
- Soshnikov Sent to Rampage from St. Louis - San Antonio Rampage
- Heat Host Local Teachers and Hand out Team Photos Courtesy of Chase Chevrolet, Ray Morgan Company & Asvitt Photography - Stockton Heat
- Game Preview: Bears at Checkers, 6 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Jaros Recalled Once Again by Ottawa - Belleville Senators
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators vs. Americans, October 20 - Belleville Senators
- Garland's Overtime Strike Pushes Tucson Past Rockford - Tucson Roadrunners
- IceHogs Catch Roadrunners with Comeback, But Fall in OT - Rockford IceHogs
- Penalty Kill Gives Life to Gulls - San Diego Gulls
- Reign Dumped in First Matchup with Colorado - Ontario Reign
- Admirals Fall in Regulation for First Time - Milwaukee Admirals
- Iowa Wild Falls to Texas 5-4 in First Road Game of the Season - Iowa Wild
- McCarron Scores Twice in 5-3 Loss to Thunderbirds - Laval Rocket
- Comrie, Moose Top Rampage - Manitoba Moose
- Eagles Dominate Reign, 6-2 to Win Third Straight - Colorado Eagles
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.