IceHogs Catch Roadrunners with Comeback, But Fall in OT
TUCSON, Ariz. - Jordan Schroeder capped off a furious three-goal IceHogs comeback late in the third period that allowed Rockford to extend its point streak to three, but Tucson's Conor Garland scored in the waning moments of overtime and lifted the Roadrunners to a 4-3 victory over the Hogs Friday night at Tucson Convention Center.
After the IceHogs fell into an early three-goal hole, Tyler Sikura began to turn the tide when he beat Roadrunners goaltender Aden Hill through the five-hole with 9:14 remaining in the second period.
Heading into the third stanza trailing by two tallies, the IceHogs continued to chip away at their deficit. Anthony Louis scored on the power play, again through Hill's five-hole, to put Rockford within striking distance. Then Schroeder evened the slate on an unassisted shot from in tight with just 4:13 remaining in regulation, and the game would go to overtime.
IceHogs goaltender Kevin Lankinen stymied several dangerous opportunities in the extra session. But with just 27 seconds remaining, Garland converted on an odd-man rush and clinched a Roadrunners victory.
Michael Bunting began the Roadrunners hot start with a power play goal from the point at the 10:22 mark of the first period. Tucson appeared to add to the lead just before the conclusion of the frame, but the goal was waived off as time had expired prior to the puck crossing the goal line.
The Roadrunners ultimately managed to pad their lead with second-period goals from Adam Helewka and Trevor Cheek, giving Tucson the 3-0 advantage they needed to offset the Rockford comeback effort and claim the game in overtime.
The IceHogs will get the chance to continue their point streak and exact revenge with another matchup against the Roadrunners Saturday Night at Tucson Convention Center.
NEXT HOME GAME: Wednesday, Oct. 24 vs. San Antonio Rampage | 7 p.m.
The Rockford IceHogs will host the San Antonio Rampage for the first time this season Wednesday, Oct. 24 at the BMO Harris Bank Center. The contest is the first "Wednesday Dog Day" of the 2018-19 season, in which fans are invited to bring their dog to the game for an additional $2. Hot dogs will also be available for the discounted price of just $2 during Wednesday's contest.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from October 20, 2018
- Stars Notch Third Straight Win in 3-1 Finish with Iowa - Texas Stars
- Iowa Wild Loses to Texas Stars 3-1 - Iowa Wild
- Amerks Win Streak Halted in 5-4 Overtime Loss to B-Sens - Rochester Americans
- Sislo and Dal Colle each score in setback to Bruins on Saturday - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Phantoms Power Past Penguins 6-3 - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Comets Outlast Crunch, 4-3 - Syracuse Crunch
- Penguins Fall to Phantoms in Second Half of Home and Home - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- P-Bruins Win 5-2 as Kovar Scores in Team Debut - Providence Bruins
- Chicago Wolves Drop First this Season - Chicago Wolves
- Balisy Scores OT Winner as Sens Beat Rochester - Belleville Senators
- Devils Offense Struggles Again in 4-0 Loss to Monsters - Binghamton Devils
- Comets Win Thriller in Syracuse - Utica Comets
- Kivlenieks Delivers Shutout in Season Debut, Monsters Roll Past Devils, 4-0 - Cleveland Monsters
- Penalty Kill Shines, Bears Blank Checkers - Hershey Bears
- Checkers Suffer First Loss of the Season - Charlotte Checkers
- Rocket Defence Allow 16 Shots in 4-2 Loss to Springfield - Laval Rocket
- Toronto Holds off Wolf Pack 3-2 - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Driedger Denies Late Rocket Comeback, Preserves T-Birds' Weekend Sweep - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Game #6 Preview: Tucson vs. Rockford - Tucson Roadrunners
- Marlies Return Home to Face Hartford - Toronto Marlies
- Devils Shut Down by Crunch, 4-0 - Binghamton Devils
- Bears Assign Milner to South Carolina - Hershey Bears
- Dallas Stars Assign Center Roope Hintz to Texas - Texas Stars
- Soshnikov Sent to Rampage from St. Louis - San Antonio Rampage
- Heat Host Local Teachers and Hand out Team Photos Courtesy of Chase Chevrolet, Ray Morgan Company & Asvitt Photography - Stockton Heat
- Game Preview: Bears at Checkers, 6 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Jaros Recalled Once Again by Ottawa - Belleville Senators
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators vs. Americans, October 20 - Belleville Senators
- Garland's Overtime Strike Pushes Tucson Past Rockford - Tucson Roadrunners
- IceHogs Catch Roadrunners with Comeback, But Fall in OT - Rockford IceHogs
- Penalty Kill Gives Life to Gulls - San Diego Gulls
- Reign Dumped in First Matchup with Colorado - Ontario Reign
- Admirals Fall in Regulation for First Time - Milwaukee Admirals
- Iowa Wild Falls to Texas 5-4 in First Road Game of the Season - Iowa Wild
- McCarron Scores Twice in 5-3 Loss to Thunderbirds - Laval Rocket
- Comrie, Moose Top Rampage - Manitoba Moose
- Eagles Dominate Reign, 6-2 to Win Third Straight - Colorado Eagles
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.