D'Agostini Dominates Allen in Season Series
Reading, PA - The Reading Royals, proud ECHL affiliate of the Philadelphia Flyers and Lehigh Valley Phantoms, returned from their road trip to Texas with three of four points, defeating cross-conference Allen Saturday in front of more than 5,000 fans Saturday.
The Royals are home twice this week, including a doubleheader at Santander Arena that kicks off with the Battle of the Badges for the FirstStates Cup. The undercard game features the Reading Police and Fire Department vs. the Allentown squads, followed by the Royals and Adirondack at 4:00 p.m. vs. Adirondack.
Reading is three points out of the fourth and final playoff spot and tied with Maine for sixth in the North.
Josh MacDonald returned to Reading from Lehigh Valley before the Texas swing and scored Saturday. MacDonald leads the team in goals (19) and tallied two points this weekend (1g 1a).
The Royals have also had a pair of goaltenders recalled to the AHL over the last couple of weeks; Branden Komm started Wednesday at Wheeling and was lifted back to Lehigh Valley Thursday, while Callum Booth is back with Charlotte.
The moves paved the way for Andrew D'Agostini to go 1-0-1-0 (8 GA) in two games vs. his former team Allen. D'Agostini played in the preseason with Allen.
Next Home Games
Wed., Feb. 20: Player Cards and Player Autograph session vs. Maine at 7:00 p.m.
Postgame player autograph session, pres. by Rieck's Printing.
Sun., Feb. 24 at 4:00 p.m.: Faith and Family Night + Battle of the Badges with a Berks Schuylkill Oil Heat Puck Giveaway vs. Adirondack
1) Pregame Battle of the Badges for the FirstStates Cup game (Allentown police and fire vs. Reading police and fire departments)
2) Royals will give away a Berks Schuylkill Oil Heat Puck.
3) Faith & Family Night
Group tickets start at $11 for all Royals home games.
Feb. 20 vs. Maine: Santander Arena, 7:00 p.m.
Feb. 22 vs. Brampton: SNHU Arena, 7:00 p.m.
Feb. 23 vs. Adirondack: Cool Insuring Arena, 7:00 p.m.
Feb. 24 vs. Adirondack: Santander Arena, 4:00 p.m.
22-20-4-5, 53 points, T-6th North
Newfoundland - 72 points
Adirondack - 62 points
Brampton - 57 points
Manchester - 56 points
Worcester - 54 points
Reading - 53 points
Maine - 53 points
Feb. 11 vs Brampton: L, 4-1
Feb. 13 vs Wheeling: L, 5-2
Feb. 17 vs Allen: W, 5-3
Feb. 18 vs Allen: OTL, 5-4
1) We the Big Bro
Reading faced off against the Allen Americans, both owned by Jack Gulati, five times this season and went 4-0-1-0. The club scored at least four goals in all five series matchups and outscored Allen, 23-15. Chris McCarthy led the team in goals and points against the Americans (6g, 10pts) while blue liner Joe Houk topped the team in assists (6) and set a Royals defenseman record with four assists in the Dec. 16 game. The Royals scored on five of their 29 power play chances (17.2%).
2) JMac = back
Josh MacDonald, the Royals' leading goal scorer, was returned from the Lehigh Valley Phantoms in time for the back-to-back Allen games and scored the opening goal for Reading Saturday. He tops Reading with three multi-goal games and is four short of a single-season high. MacDonald is third on the team in points (33).
3) D'Agostini proves Texas wrong
Andrew D'Agostini, released by Allen in preseason, went 4-0-1-0 with a 3.00 goals against average and a .901 save percentage against his former team.
Instead of D'Agostini, the Americans opted to return Jeremy Brodeur, who went 0-9-0-0 with a 4.09 goals against average and an .888 save percentage before being released by Allen in December. D'Agostini bested Brodeur Jan. 15 in Reading.
Overall this season, D'Agostini has a record of 6-2-2-0, a 2.70 goals against average with a .913 save percentage.
Regular season team leaders
Goals: Josh MacDonald (19)
Assists: Chris McCarthy (40)
Points: Chris McCarthy (54)
PIM: Jacob Graves (66)
+/-: Michael Huntebrinker (+12)
Monday - TRAVEL DAY
Tuesday - Practice, 11:00 a.m.
Wednesday - Game vs. Maine, 7:00 p.m.
Thursday - TRAVEL DAY
Friday - Game at Manchester, 7:00 p.m.
Saturday - Game at Adirondack, 7:00 p.m.
Sunday - Game vs. Adirondack, 4:00 p.m.
Monday - OFF DAY
Royals Radio Recon: Next Show Tues., Feb. 19
Live from Jimmy G's Railroad House from 6:00 - 7:00 p.m.
Meet Royals players at Jimmy G's Railroad House, 152 Woodrow Ave., Sinking Spring, PA. Listen on mixlr.com/ReadingRoyals or via the Mixlr App.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from February 18, 2019
- Thunder Weekly, February 18th - Wichita Thunder
- Makowski's OT Winner Sends Reading Packing - Allen Americans
- Grizzlies Insider Adam Turner on 5-2 Loss to KC - Utah Grizzlies
- Allen Americans Weekly Update - Allen Americans
- Grizzlies Fall 5-2 to Kansas City - Utah Grizzlies
- Sides Hat Trick Leads Mavs to 5-2 Win against Grizzlies - Kansas City Mavericks
- Stingrays Weekly Report - February 18 - South Carolina Stingrays
- ECHL Transactions - February 18 - ECHL
- Vallorani Ties the Game with 4.6 Seconds Left, But Beast Fall in OT - Brampton Beast
- Adam Pleskach Named ECHL Player of the Week - Tulsa Oilers
- Tulsa's Pleskach Named Inglasco/ECHL Player of the Week - ECHL
- Thomas Sends K-Wings Past Beast 5-4 in OT - Kalamazoo Wings
- Walleye Travel to KC for Two - Toledo Walleye
- ECHL Announces Fines, Suspension - ECHL
- Mavs Monday - February 18 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Wheeling Nailers Weekly Report, February 18 - Wheeling Nailers
- Mariners Weekly: Suddenly Hot Mariners Approach Busy Weekend - Maine Mariners
- Solar Bears Sign Liam Bilton - Orlando Solar Bears
- Steelheads Weekly - February 18, 2019 - Idaho Steelheads
- Swamp Rabbits Weekly - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Indy Fuel Pit Stop: Week 19 (February 11-19, 2019) - Indy Fuel
- Komets Rally for Pair of Points for Week 19; Thunder Roll in for Back-To-Back Games, Cincinnati Visits Sunday - Fort Wayne Komets
- Grizzlies Conclude Homestand Today vs Kansas City - Utah Grizzlies
- D'Agostini Dominates Allen in Season Series - Reading Royals
- Game Day: Final Matchup with Brampton Brings Monday Matinee - Kalamazoo Wings
- Oil Drops: Tulsa Oilers Weekly Report - February 18 - Tulsa Oilers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Reading Royals Stories
- Royals Bolster Ticket Sales Team with Addition of Dakota Procyk
- The Anthony Myers Movement Highlights Start of 5-Game Homestand
- Adirondack Goes Ahead in Final Three Minutes and Defeats Royals, 6-3
- Game Day at Adirondack: Catch Today's Game on BCTV at 2:45 p.m.
- Schmidt Scores 20th of Season, Royals Fall at Home to Indy, 5-1