Sides Hat Trick Leads Mavs to 5-2 Win against Grizzlies
WEST VALLEY CITY, Utah - Kansas City Mavericks Forward Joey Sides scored three goals for a hat trick Monday afternoon against the Utah Grizzlies in a 5-2 Kansas City victory. The Mavericks also got a 33 save performance from goaltender Mason McDonald while forward David Dziurzynski, Rocco Carzo and defenseman Cliff Watson picked up two assists each in the game.
Joey Sides opened up the scoring on the power play for Kansas City, netting the first goal of the game at the 11:13 mark of the first period. David Dziurzynski and Rocco Carzo were credited with assists on the opening score. Darian Dziurzynski doubled the Mavericks lead to 2-0 with 2:52 left in the opening period. Cliff Watson was given the lone assist on the goal. The Mavericks outshot the Grizzlies 13-10 in the period.
Caleb Herbert halved the Mavericks lead just over seven minutes into the second period. Nolan De Jong and Josh Dickinson assisted on the goal. The goal broke an 87-minute shutout streak by Mavericks goaltender Mason McDonald. Greg Betzold put the Mavs back in front by two with a goal in his third straight game with 6:50 left in the second. Jared VanWormer picked up on assist on the goal. De Jong cut the Mavericks lead to 3-2 on a 5-on-3 power play on a goal assisted by Dickinson and Taylor Richart.
The Mavericks took the game over in the third period, as Sides netted his second and third goals of the game for his first hat trick of the season. David Dziurzynski and Cliff Watson got their second assists of the game on Sides' second goal, while the third came unassisted.
McDonald finished the afternoon with 33 saves on 35 shots. Kansas City scored two power play goals in the game, finishing two-for-six with a man advantage.
The Mavericks went 2-0-1-0 against the Grizzlies on the weekend, picking up five of a possible six points and gained four points on the Grizzlies in the Mountain Division playoff race and now sit 11 points back of first place in the division with two games at hand over Utah.
The Mavericks now return home for a six-game home stand, kicking things off against the Toledo Walleye on Wednesday night at Silverstein Eye Centers Arena. Faceoff against Toledo is 7:05 p.m. at Silverstein Eye Centers Arena. For more information, please visit kcmavericks.com.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from February 18, 2019
- Thunder Weekly, February 18th - Wichita Thunder
- Makowski's OT Winner Sends Reading Packing - Allen Americans
- Grizzlies Insider Adam Turner on 5-2 Loss to KC - Utah Grizzlies
- Allen Americans Weekly Update - Allen Americans
- Grizzlies Fall 5-2 to Kansas City - Utah Grizzlies
- Sides Hat Trick Leads Mavs to 5-2 Win against Grizzlies - Kansas City Mavericks
- Stingrays Weekly Report - February 18 - South Carolina Stingrays
- ECHL Transactions - February 18 - ECHL
- Vallorani Ties the Game with 4.6 Seconds Left, But Beast Fall in OT - Brampton Beast
- Adam Pleskach Named ECHL Player of the Week - Tulsa Oilers
- Tulsa's Pleskach Named Inglasco/ECHL Player of the Week - ECHL
- Thomas Sends K-Wings Past Beast 5-4 in OT - Kalamazoo Wings
- Walleye Travel to KC for Two - Toledo Walleye
- ECHL Announces Fines, Suspension - ECHL
- Mavs Monday - February 18 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Wheeling Nailers Weekly Report, February 18 - Wheeling Nailers
- Mariners Weekly: Suddenly Hot Mariners Approach Busy Weekend - Maine Mariners
- Solar Bears Sign Liam Bilton - Orlando Solar Bears
- Steelheads Weekly - February 18, 2019 - Idaho Steelheads
- Swamp Rabbits Weekly - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Indy Fuel Pit Stop: Week 19 (February 11-19, 2019) - Indy Fuel
- Komets Rally for Pair of Points for Week 19; Thunder Roll in for Back-To-Back Games, Cincinnati Visits Sunday - Fort Wayne Komets
- Grizzlies Conclude Homestand Today vs Kansas City - Utah Grizzlies
- D'Agostini Dominates Allen in Season Series - Reading Royals
- Game Day: Final Matchup with Brampton Brings Monday Matinee - Kalamazoo Wings
- Oil Drops: Tulsa Oilers Weekly Report - February 18 - Tulsa Oilers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.