Oil Drops: Tulsa Oilers Weekly Report - February 18
Tulsa sits one point out of first place in the Mountain Division heading into trip to Boise this week.
OVERALL RECORD: 30-18-6
LAST WEEK: 4-1-0
Tuesday, Feb. 12 - Tulsa 2, Wichita 1 (OT) (INTRUST Bank Arena - Wichita, KS)
>> The Oilers hit the ice Tuesday for the first time in ten days and jumped ahead of their Stonewolf Casino Cup rival with a first period power play goal from Jared Thomas. After a scoreless second period, the Thunder tied the game early in the third period on a controversial goal. Devin Williams stopped the initial Thunder shot, before the rebound was kicked in and the goal was waived off immediately. Following a review, the call was overturned and the game was tied 1-1 heading into overtime. Thomas was the hero again, as he blasted the game-winner into the net from between the circles with 1:38 left in overtime to give Tulsa its sixth win in eight tries against the Thunder.
Wednesday, Feb. 13 - Tulsa 2, Kansas City 1 (Silverstein Eye Centers Arena - Independence, MO)
>> Tulsa rattled off its second straight win and ninth in its last 11 road contests Wednesday against the Mavericks in a game that was rescheduled from Feb. 5. Ryan Tesink put the Oilers in front with a goal on a delayed penalty late in the opening frame. Kansas City tied the game at 1-1 on a 3-on-2 rush in the second period, but Oilers captain Adam Pleskach scored with 59 seconds left to put Tulsa back in front heading into the third. Devin Williams stopped all 12 shots in the third period to preserve the Oilers' 2-1 victory, as Tulsa's goaltender won his tenth game in his last 12 starts.
Friday, Feb. 15 - Tulsa 7, Wichita 3 (BOK Center - Tulsa, OK)
>> The Oilers clinched the season series against Wichita on Friday with their seventh win against the Thunder in convincing fashion. Tulsa opened up a 3-1 first period lead, thanks to two goals from Adam Pleskach and one from Alex Kromm. The Thunder battled back to even the score at 3-3 and Oilers goaltender Devin Williams had to leave the game with an injury. Ian Keserich entered and stopped all 14 shots he faced to earn his first win of the season. Kromm scored again late in the second to put the Oilers in front for good. Eric Drapluk made it 5-3 on a power play in the third, before Pleskach completed his hat trick and Jared Thomas wrapped up the scoring. Thomas finished with a goal and four assists.
Saturday, Feb. 16 - Worcester 1, Tulsa 0 (BOK Center - Tulsa, OK)
>> The Railers squeaked out a 1-0 win in the first-ever meeting between Tulsa and Worcester, thanks to a 47-save shutout from Evan Buitenhuis. Worcester scored the game's only goal 5:59 into the game when Tyler Barnes snuck a rebound past Ian Keserich. Buitenhuis stopped 14 Oilers shots in the first period, 18 in the middle frame and 15 more in the third to hand Tulsa its fourth shutout loss of the season, all on home ice. Keserich stopped 22 of 23 Railers attempts in his first start since coming out of retirement.
Sunday, Feb. 17 - Tulsa 6, Worcester 3 (BOK Center - Tulsa, OK)
>> In the final game of a stretch of five games in six days, the Oilers overcame an early power play goal from Worcester's Ryan MacKinnon and scored five unanswered goals to finish the first period up 5-1. Kyle Rhodes tied the game four minutes into the contest, before Tommy Mele scored his first of two 28 seconds later to put Tulsa ahead for good. Jared Thomas, Mele and Adam Phillips all lit the lamp before the first period buzzer. Adam Pleskach tallied a power play goal 33 seconds into the middle period to make it 6-1, before the Railers closed the gap with a breakaway goal in the frame and added a third period power play goal. The Oilers outshot Worcester 41-20, and Ian Keserich stopped 17 shots for his second win of the weekend.
THE WEEK AHEAD
Wednesday, Feb. 20 - Tulsa AT Idaho, 7:05 p.m. - CenturyLink Arena (Boise, ID)
Friday, Feb. 22 - Tulsa AT Idaho, 7:05 p.m. - CenturyLink Arena (Boise, ID)
Saturday, Feb. 23 - Tulsa AT Idaho, 4:05 p.m. - CenturyLink Arena (Boise, ID)
ON THE MOVE
- 2/17 - Keegan Asmundson (G) claimed off of waivers from Kalamazoo.
- 2/15 - Chris Forney (D) loaned to Tulsa from San Diego (AHL).
- 2/11 - Scott Cuthrell (F) signed a standard player contract with Tulsa.
- 2/11 - Scott Moldenhauer (D) recalled from loan by San Diego (AHL).
- 2/11 - Alex Dostie (F) recalled by Anaheim (NHL) to San Diego (AHL).
- Ian Keserich won his first pro game Friday since March 30, 2013 (2,148 days).
- Adam Pleskach recorded his third hat trick of the season Friday and eighth of his career.
- Jared Thomas recorded the Oilers' first 5-point game (1g, 4a) Friday vs. Wichita.
- The Oilers clinched the StoneWolf Casino Cup season series against Wichita (7-2-0) with Friday's win.
- Tulsa scored five goals in the first period Sunday, the team's most in a period this season.
- The Oilers are 4-0-0 in games after being shutout, following Sunday's win over Worcester.
POINTS: 55 - Adam Pleskach
GOALS: 27 - Adam Pleskach
ASSISTS: 28 - Adam Pleskach
PLUS/MINUS: +17 - Steven Kaunisto
PIMS: 144 - Mike McKee
PP GOALS: 9 - Adam Pleskach
SH GOALS: 2 - Jared Thomas
GW GOALS: 7 - Charlie Sampair
SHOTS: 229 - Adam Pleskach
WINS: 16 - Devin Williams
GAA: 2.21 - Devin Williams
SAVE %: .913 - Devin Williams
POWER PLAY: Overall - 33/239 (13.8%) - 24th in the ECHL
Last Week - 5/26 (19.2%)
PENALTY KILL: Overall - 173/209 (82.8%) - 15th in the ECHL
Last Week - 15/18 (83/3%)
Adam Pleskach leads the ECHL in goals (27) and is 4th in points (55), and 5th in power play goals (9)... Charlie Sampair leads the league with 7 game-winning goals... Ryan Tesink is 17th in goals (20) and 19th in points (47)... Mike McKee is 9th in penalty minutes (144)... Devin Williams is 3rd in the ECHL in goals-against average (2.21)... Dylan Bredo is 5th among league defensemen with 26 goals and 9th in points (30)... Kyle Rhodes is 5th among defensemen with 11 goals... Steven Kaunisto is tied for the league lead among defensemen with 4 game-winning goals... Jared Thomas is 4th among rookies with 43 points.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from February 18, 2019
- Thunder Weekly, February 18th - Wichita Thunder
- Makowski's OT Winner Sends Reading Packing - Allen Americans
- Grizzlies Insider Adam Turner on 5-2 Loss to KC - Utah Grizzlies
- Allen Americans Weekly Update - Allen Americans
- Grizzlies Fall 5-2 to Kansas City - Utah Grizzlies
- Sides Hat Trick Leads Mavs to 5-2 Win against Grizzlies - Kansas City Mavericks
- Stingrays Weekly Report - February 18 - South Carolina Stingrays
- ECHL Transactions - February 18 - ECHL
- Vallorani Ties the Game with 4.6 Seconds Left, But Beast Fall in OT - Brampton Beast
- Adam Pleskach Named ECHL Player of the Week - Tulsa Oilers
- Tulsa's Pleskach Named Inglasco/ECHL Player of the Week - ECHL
- Thomas Sends K-Wings Past Beast 5-4 in OT - Kalamazoo Wings
- Walleye Travel to KC for Two - Toledo Walleye
- ECHL Announces Fines, Suspension - ECHL
- Mavs Monday - February 18 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Wheeling Nailers Weekly Report, February 18 - Wheeling Nailers
- Mariners Weekly: Suddenly Hot Mariners Approach Busy Weekend - Maine Mariners
- Solar Bears Sign Liam Bilton - Orlando Solar Bears
- Steelheads Weekly - February 18, 2019 - Idaho Steelheads
- Swamp Rabbits Weekly - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Indy Fuel Pit Stop: Week 19 (February 11-19, 2019) - Indy Fuel
- Komets Rally for Pair of Points for Week 19; Thunder Roll in for Back-To-Back Games, Cincinnati Visits Sunday - Fort Wayne Komets
- Grizzlies Conclude Homestand Today vs Kansas City - Utah Grizzlies
- D'Agostini Dominates Allen in Season Series - Reading Royals
- Game Day: Final Matchup with Brampton Brings Monday Matinee - Kalamazoo Wings
- Oil Drops: Tulsa Oilers Weekly Report - February 18 - Tulsa Oilers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.