Blue Jackets Assign Gabriel Carlsson, Kole Sherwood to Monsters
CLEVELAND - The AHL's Cleveland Monsters announced Monday that the team's NHL affiliate, the Columbus Blue Jackets, assigned defenseman Gabirel Carlsson and forward Kole Sherwood to the Monsters.
A 6'5", 192 lb. left-handed native of Orebro, Sweden, Carlsson, 22, was selected by the Blue Jackets in the first round (29th overall) of the 2015 NHL Entry Draft. In one NHL appearance for Columbus this season, Carlsson notched two penalty minutes and a -1 rating and added 1-8-9 with six penalty minutes and a -3 rating in 32 AHL appearances for Cleveland this year.
In 17 career NHL appearances for the Blue Jackets spanning parts of three seasons from 2016-19, Carlsson supplied 0-3-3 with six penalty minutes and a -3 rating and posted a +1 rating in five postseason appearances for Columbus in 2017. In 68 career AHL appearances for Cleveland spanning the past three campaigns, Carlsson contributed 3-12-15 with 22 penalty minutes and a -4 rating. In 92 career SHL appearances for Linkoping HC spanning parts of three seasons from 2014-17, Carlsson tallied 3-12-15 with eight penalty minutes and a +15 rating. Additionally, Carlsson represented Sweden in the 2016 and 2017 IIHF U20 World Junior Championships.
A 6'1", 202 lb. right-handed native of Columbus, OH, Sherwood, 21, contributed 4-3-7 with 24 penalty minutes and a -10 rating in 24 career AHL appearances for Cleveland spanning parts of the 2016-17 and 2018-19 seasons. In 22 appearances for Cleveland this season, Sherwood contributed 4-3-7 with 22 penalty minutes and a -10 rating and added 1-0-1 with four penalty minutes and a +2 rating in three ECHL appearances for the Jacksonville IceMen.
Prior to his professional career, Sherwood tallied 75-104-179 with 169 penalty minutes and a +33 rating in 180 OHL appearances for the London Knights, Flint Firebirds and Kitchener Rangers spanning three seasons from 2015-18 and helped London claim the 2015-16 OHL Championship. In three appearences for the USHL's Youngstown Phantoms during the 2014-15 campaign, Sherwood notched 1-1-2 with a +2 rating.
Next up for the Monsters, it's a Friday road clash vs. the Laval Rocket with full coverage, live from Place Bell in Laval, QC, underway at 7:30 pm on Alt 99.1, AHLTV and the Monsters Hockey Network.
Cleveland Monsters Holiday Packs are on sale now and include exclusive Monsters Holiday socks, a Monsters snow globe and equal number of Disney on Ice tickets at The Q! Holiday Packs start as low as $54 and can be purchased today by visiting www.clevelandmonsters.com/holiday or by calling the Monsters sales and service team at 216-420-0000. Be sure to follow the Monsters on Twitter @monstershockey, on Facebook at www.facebook.com/monstershockey, and on Instagram @monstershockey.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 14, 2019
- Roadrunners Weekly (January 14) - Tucson Roadrunners
- Wolves Insider: First-Place Showdown - Chicago Wolves
- IceHogs Reassign Defenseman Manning to Indy - Rockford IceHogs
- Rangers Recall Ryan Lindgren from Hartford - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Rangers Acquire Forward Connor Brickley from Nashville for Cole Schneider - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Barron Recalled, Dickinson Reassigned to Utah - Colorado Eagles
- The Bridgeport Report: Week 15 - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Amerks Weekly - Rochester Americans
- Preds Acquire Schneider in Exchange for Brickley - Milwaukee Admirals
- Wolf Pack Weekly, January 14-20 - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Coyotes Assign Hill to Tucson - Tucson Roadrunners
- American Hockey League Announces Suspension - AHL
- Tuesday's Checkers Game Sold Out - Charlotte Checkers
- Griffins Assign Crawford to Walleye - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Sens Reassign Archibald and Elliott to Belleville - Belleville Senators
- Condors Home with Food and Drink Specials this Week - Bakersfield Condors
- Week 15 Report: Offense Finding Footing, But Hogs Drop Two - Rockford IceHogs
- Sam Carrick Named Ccm/AHL Player of the Week - San Diego Gulls
- San Diego's Sam Carrick Named CCM/AHL Player of the Week - AHL
- Brandon Halverson Reassigned to ECHL - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Blue Jackets Assign Gabriel Carlsson, Kole Sherwood to Monsters - Cleveland Monsters
- Sound Tigers Recall Holmstrom, Gaudreau from Worcester - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Manitoba Moose Weekly: January 14 - Manitoba Moose
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Cleveland Monsters Stories
- Monsters Announce Four Roster Moves
- Monsters Defeat Crunch 5-1, Claim 2-0 Lead in North Division Semi-Final Series
- Derek Barach Inks AHL Contract with Monsters for 2019-20 Season
- Monsters Top Crunch 5-3, Grab 1-0 Lead in North Division Semi-Final
- Blue Jackets Reassign Liam Foudy to Monsters from OHL's London Knights