Bear Bites - Solar Bears Update
ORLANDO, Fla. - The Orlando Solar Bears open up the week as they close out a four-game homestand tonight against the Norfolk, before enjoying a home-and-home series with the Jacksonville Icemen on Wednesday and Thursday.
THIS WEEK'S GAMES:
Monday, Nov. 29 at Norfolk Admirals at 7 p.m.
Wednesday, Dec. 1 at Jacksonville Icemen at 7 p.m.
Thursday, Dec. 2 vs. Jacksonville Icemen at 7 p.m. - Mental Health Awareness Night, presented by AdventHealth and Thirsty Thursday
The Orlando Solar Bears, along with VyStar Credit Union, have announced the launch of a co-branded debit card, available now for all VyStar Credit Union members.
Fans can get a Solar Bears debit card when they open a VyStar account with a minimum balance of $5 at any branch location. They can also apply for membership online at apply.vystarcu.org but will need to visit a branch to get a Solar Bears card. Current members can request a co-branded card by visiting a branch, calling 800-445-6289 or speaking to a VyChat representative at www.vystarcu.org.
AT A GLANCE
SEASON RECORD: 9-6-1-0
LAST WEEK'S RECORD: 3-1-0-0
RECORD IN LAST 10 GAMES: 6-4-0-0
SOUTH DIVISION STANDINGS: 2nd of 7
TOP SCORER: Michael Brodzinski - 15 points
MOST GOALS: Luke Boka & Michael Brodzinski - 4 goals
MOST ASSISTS: Michael Brodzinski - 11 assists
PIM LEADER: Chad Duchesne - 23 PIM
PLUS-MINUS LEADER: Kevin Lohan - +2
LAST WEEK'S GAMES:
Tuesday, Nov. 23 at Atlanta Gladiators: 1-0 OTW
Luke Boka scored 39 seconds into the extra frame and Brad Barone made 32 saves to pick up the shutout victory.
Thursday, Nov. 25 vs. Norfolk Admirals: 3-1 W
Ian Parker's power-play goal in the third period broke a 1-1 tie and Cole Moberg added an insurance goal to lift the Solar Bears to their fifth consecutive win at home on Thanksgiving.
Saturday, Nov. 27 vs. Norfolk Admirals: 4-3 SOW
Trailing 3-1 at the start of the third, Joe Garreffa scored twice to bring Orlando even with Norfolk, 3-3. Brad Barone finished the evening with 50 saves, matching his previous ECHL career-high, and Aaron Luchuk and Tristin Langan scored in the shootout to give the Solar Bears a sixth consecutive win on home ice.
Sunday, Nov. 28 vs. Norfolk Admirals: 6-1 L
Orlando's win streak on home ice came to an end, as Joe Garreffa scored for the second straight game, but the Admirals scored twice while shorthanded and added two power-play scores to hand the Solar Bears their largest margin of defeat in a game this season.
The Solar Bears are 8-0-0-0 when scoring first, and are the only Eastern Conference team with a 1.000 win percentage when scoring first.
Brad Barone matched his previous ECHL career-high (originally set Nov. 17 at Florida) with 50 saves on Saturday vs. Norfolk.
The Solar Bears are second with a power play operating at 30.0% (12-for-40).
Michael Brodzinski needs one point on the power play to pass Eric Faille (33 points) for the most power-play points in team history.
Orlando is averaging the fewest penalty minutes among South Division clubs with 11.19 minutes assessed per game.
Joe Garreffa enters the week with two goals in his last three games.
Enter to win a trip to the 2022 ECHL All-Star Weekend in Jacksonville!
BEARS IN THE NHL:
Several former Solar Bears currently occupy spots on NHL rosters for the 2021-22 season - here we will track their progress:
Zach Fucale* - Goaltender - Washington Capitals - 1 GP, 1-0-0, 1.000%
Christopher Gibson* - Goaltender - Florida Panthers - 0 GP, 0-0-0, .000%
Connor Ingram* - Goaltender - Nashville Predators - 2 GP, 1-1-0, .906%
Darcy Kuemper - Goaltender - Colorado Avalanche - 15 GP, 9-5-0, .906%
Mason Marchment - Forward - Florida Panthers - 10 GP, 1g-6a
Ryan Reaves - Forward - New York Rangers - 16 GP, 0g-3a
* Currently assigned to AHL
BEAR TRACKS PODCAST, PRESENTED BY PINK WHITNEY:
Former Solar Bears forward Ian Slater joined team broadcaster Jesse Liebman for last week's episode of Bear Tracks, presented by Pink Whitney by New Amsterdam Vodka. Now retired from his playing career, the Satellite Beach native now lives in Key West, where he works in the commercial fishing industry.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from November 29, 2021
- Langan Hangs Four Points on Admirals in 4-1 Solar Bears Win - Orlando Solar Bears
- Americans Weekly - Allen Americans
- ECHL Transactions - November 29 - ECHL
- Yauheni Aksiantsiuk Recalled by Dallas to AHL Texas - Idaho Steelheads
- Growlers Tickets Now on Sale - Newfoundland Growlers
- Walleye Sign Defenseman Adam Parsells - Toledo Walleye
- Goaltender Mandolese Reassigned to Atlanta from Belleville - Atlanta Gladiators
- Thunder Weekly, November 29 - Wichita Thunder
- Stingrays Weekly Report: November 29, 2021 - South Carolina Stingrays
- Report Card Night this Friday - Fort Wayne Komets
- Bear Bites - Solar Bears Update - Orlando Solar Bears
- Grizzlies Weekly: Utah Hosts K-Wings in Huge 3 Game Set - Utah Grizzlies
- Everblades Welcome Trois Rivières to Hertz Arena for First Time Ever - Florida Everblades
- Steelheads Weekly - November 29, 2021 - Idaho Steelheads
- Hartford Recalls Taylor; Returns Brassard to JAX - Jacksonville Icemen
- Rabbit Report: the Week Ahead - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Game Preview: Solar Bears vs. Admirals: November 29, 2021 - Orlando Solar Bears
- Indy Fuel Pit Stop: Week 6 - Indy Fuel
- Aaron Luchuk Heads up to Syracuse - Orlando Solar Bears
- Weekly Roundup: Glads Finish Seven Games in Ten Days - Atlanta Gladiators
- Toledo Walleye Weekly No. 6: November 29, 2021 - Toledo Walleye
- K-Wings Weekly: K-Wings Take to the Sky, Visit Grizzlies - Kalamazoo Wings
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.