Barker Scores Twice in 4-1 Solar Bears Win over Icemen
ORLANDO, Fla. - Braydon Barker scored twice for his first professional goals, and Brad Barone made 34 saves as the Orlando Solar Bears (11-7-1-0) pushed their home win streak against the Jacksonville Icemen (9-8-1-1) to 23-0-0-0 with a 4-1 victory on Thursday night at the AdventHealth Rink at Amway Center.
The victory, coupled with a Florida Everblades loss to the Trois-Rivières Lions, moves Orlando into first place in the South Division.
Luke McInnis opened the scoring with a late first period strike that eluded Charles Williams.
In the second period Dmitry Semykin netted his first of the season with the Solar Bears off a one-time pass from Pavel Vorobei, making his North American professional debut. Barker netted his first pro goal to make it 3-0 with a wrap-around attempt at the left post, then capped the scoring in the third period with a power-play score that deflected in off a Jacksonville defender.
ORL Goal: Luke McInnis (3) at 19:37. Assisted by Tristin Langan.
SHOTS: ORL 11, JAX 9
ORL Goal: Dmitry Semykin (1) at 8:20. Assisted by Pavel Vorobei and Canon Pieper.
ORL Goal: Braydon Barker (1) at 10:43. Assisted by Tristin Langan.
SHOTS: ORL 6, JAX 16
JAX Goal: James Sanchez (5) [PP] at 4:19. Assisted by Christopher Brown and Ara Nazarian.
ORL Goal: Braydon Barker (2) [PP] at 10:42. Assisted by Jackson Keane.
SHOTS: ORL 10, JAX 10
ORL: Brad Barone, 34-for-35
JAX: Charles Williams, 23-for-27
Orlando improved to 3-2-0-0 in the head-to-head series against Jacksonville this season; the home team has won each game so far.
The Solar Bears improved to 10-0-0-0 when scoring first.
Barone has won his last four straight outings dating back to Nov. 20 vs. Maine, posting a 4-0-0 record with a 1.21 goals-against average and a .965 save percentage in that span.
Orlando is 8-0-0-0 at home when scoring three or more goals.
Tristin Langan finished the night with a pair of assists.
Both teams went 1-for-3 on the power play.
NEXT GAMES: The Solar Bears begin a six-game road trip when they visit the Greenville Swamp Rabbits on Wednesday, Dec. 8 at 7:05 p.m. at Bon Secours Wellness Arena. The Solar Bears are back on home ice when they host the Atlanta Gladiators for Teddy Bear Toss Night, presented by Janney Roofing, on Tuesday, Dec. 21 at 7 p.m. at the AdventHealth Rink at Amway Center.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from December 2, 2021
- Barker Scores Twice in 4-1 Solar Bears Win over Icemen - Orlando Solar Bears
- Ruck Rings in ECHL Debut with Win over Rush - Tulsa Oilers
- Lions Roar Past Blades in Final Moments - Florida Everblades
- Peters Loaned to Bakersfield - Wichita Thunder
- ECHL Transactions - December 2 - ECHL
- Antoine Bibeau Recalled - Allen Americans
- Ege Back, Griffin Signed - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Grizz Insider: 6 Things to Know for Friday's Series Opener vs K-Wings - Utah Grizzlies
- Matt Berry Named ECHL November Player of the Month - Toledo Walleye
- Toledo's Berry Named Warrior Hockey/ECHL Player of the Month - ECHL
- Dräxlmaier Upward Mobility: Rabbits on the Rise - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Solar Bears Gain Reinforcements - Orlando Solar Bears
- Will the Lions Make It Five Wins in a Row? - Trois-Rivieres Lions
- Chad Yetman Recalled by IceHogs - Indy Fuel
- Brandon Cutler Wins ECHL Rookie of the Month - Utah Grizzlies
- Utah's Cutler Named Howies Hockey Tape/ECHL Rookie of the Month - ECHL
- Game Preview: Solar Bears vs. Icemen: December 2, 2021 - Orlando Solar Bears
- Mariners Acquire Bricknell from Kansas City - Maine Mariners
- Game Notes: at Tulsa - Rapid City Rush
- Fort Wayne's Harvey Named Warrior Hockey/ECHL Goaltender of the Month - ECHL
- Everblades to Host Lions for Only Thursday Home Game of the Season - Florida Everblades
- Railers to Host Annual Teddy Bear Toss Game Presented by Fidelity Bank on Saturday December 11th - Worcester Railers HC
- Thunder Receive Laberge, Stevens from Utica - Adirondack Thunder
- Lions Post Spectacular Comeback Victory in Southwest Florida - Trois-Rivieres Lions
- Heartlanders Force Shootout, Wichita Too Good in Skills Competition - Iowa Heartlanders
- Wichita Wins First-Ever Meeting vs. Iowa - Wichita Thunder
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.