Woodchucks Drop Game 1 to Dock Spiders
FOND DU LAC, WI - The Woodchucks saw their five-game winning streak come to an end at the hands of the Fond du Lac Dock Spiders in a 7-1 loss on Wednesday afternoon.
The Woodchucks and Dock Spiders will play game two of the split doubleheader at 6:35 p.m. tonight.
The Chucks scored first after Tyler MacGregor drew a bases-loaded walk in the top of the third, plating Gino Groover.
However, the visitors could not add on any more in the inning The Woodchucks stranded the bases loaded twice early in the ballgame, and the Dock Spiders would make them pay in the middle innings. The Chucks left a total of 11 base runners stranded.
Starting pitcher Sean Higgins faced the minimum through three innings of scoreless work before running into trouble in the fourth. The Dock Spiders sparked their rally with four consecutive hits and took a 4-1 lead later in the inning, ending Higgins' outing.
Dane Miller came in from the bullpen and pitched two scoreless frames before the Dock Spiders assembled a two-out rally. Three runs in the frame helped Fond du Lac pull away with the win. The Spiders are now within one game of the first-place Woodchucks in the Great Lakes West Division.
Jose Izarra helped the Woodchucks turn two of their three double plays on the afternoon. The second baseman also went 1-for-3 at the plate with a walk.
Tyler Kehoe extended his streak of multi-hit games to five with a 2-for-4 afternoon at the plate.
Higgins and Miller struck out two each during their outings.
Tyler Murrah pitched a scoreless eighth inning in relief of Miller. The Pepperdine southpaw has not allowed an earned run in two innings pitched this year.
The Woodchucks will play the Dock Spiders again at 6:35 this evening. They'll continue a four-game road trip tomorrow as they begin a series with Wisconsin Rapids at Witter Field at 6:35 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the Northwoods League message board...
Northwoods League Stories from June 23, 2021
- Booyah End Losing Streak - Green Bay Booyah
- Rox Dominate Stingers to Sweep Doubleheader - St. Cloud Rox
- Rivets' Patience Pays off in Comeback Win over Kalamazoo - Rockford Rivets
- How Sweep It Is - Bismarck Larks
- Chinooks Split Doubleheader at Mallards: - Lakeshore Chinooks
- Kingfish Fall to Battle Creek in Series Opener - Kenosha Kingfish
- Woodchucks Turned Away by Dock Spiders - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Mallards Split Day with Lakeshore in Double Header - Madison Mallards
- Bombers End Eight-Game Losing Streak with 4-2 Win over Kenosha - Battle Creek Bombers
- Rabbits Jack Two Homers, Beat Pit Spitters to Open Road Trip - Traverse City Pit Spitters
- Booyah Fall to Rafters - Green Bay Booyah
- Rox Rally Back for Seventh Straight Win over Rival Stingers - St. Cloud Rox
- Rochester Drops First Game of Doubleheader Thanks to Mankato's Hot Start - Rochester Honkers
- Huskies Shut-Out Express in First Game of Doubleheader - Duluth Huskies
- Woodchucks Drop Game 1 to Dock Spiders - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Booyah Slated for Another Doubleheader - Green Bay Booyah
- Mallards Head to Lakeshore for Doubleheader with Chinooks - Madison Mallards
- Former La Crosse Logger Lars Nootbaar Debuts with the Cardinals - Northwoods
- Honkers Walk It off in the Extras; Sweep Huskies in Two Game Set - Duluth Huskies
- Mankato Stings Willmar, MoonDogs Prevail with Extra-Inning Free Pass - Mankato MoonDogs
- Growlers Walk off against Battle Creek for Fifth Straight Win - Kalamazoo Growlers
- Rox Walk It off in Extras for Sixth Straight Win - St. Cloud Rox
- Stingers Fall to Mankato in Extras - Willmar Stingers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.