Wolves Open Calder Cup Playoffs against Grand Rapids
GLENVIEW, Ill. - The Central Division champion Chicago Wolves will meet the fourth-seeded Grand Rapids Griffins in the first round of the 2019 Calder Cup Playoffs. The best-of-five Central Division Semifinals begin Friday, April 19, at Allstate Arena.
The Wolves own the home-ice advantage for at least the first two rounds as they battle for a fifth league championship. In addition to hosting Game 1 for the Central Division Semifinals, the Wolves are the home team for Game 2 on Saturday, April 20, and Game 5 (if necessary) on Sunday, April 28.
This marks the sixth time the Wolves and Griffins have met in the postseason -- and Chicago won three of the first five series. That includes capturing the International Hockey League's Turner Cup on Grand Rapids' ice in 2000. During the 2018-19 regular season, the Wolves won five of the eight meetings with Grand Rapids. That includes all four games since the calendar flipped to 2019.
The official schedule for the Central Division Semifinals:
Game 1 Friday, April 19 Allstate Arena 7 p.m.
Game 2 Saturday, April 20 Allstate Arena 7 p.m.
Game 3 Tuesday, April 23 Van Andel Arena 6 p.m.
Game 4* Wednesday, April 24 Van Andel Arena 6 p.m.
Game 5* Sunday, April 28 Allstate Arena 3 p.m.
Every home game throughout the postseason will be broadcast on The U Too, which can be found over the air on 26.2 and via cable or satellite on XFinity 230, Dish Network 48, RCN 35 and WOW 170. Fans can see all Calder Cup Playoff games for just $24.99 at www.TheAHL.com/AHLTV.
To celebrate postseason hockey in Chicago, there's free parking for all games at Allstate Arena courtesy of your Chicagoland and Northwest Indiana Kia dealers. The arena's concession stands will feature discounted prices on many items, including beer, soda, hot dogs and pretzels.
Four teams in each of the AHL's four divisions qualify for the Calder Cup Playoffs. The winner of the Chicago-Grand Rapids series meets the winner of the Milwaukee-Iowa series in the Central Division Finals.
To purchase a playoff package -- which provides the same seat for all 15 potential Calder Cup home games -- or a playoff flex pack, call 1-800-THE-WOLVES. Individual tickets for all playoff games also can be purchased by visiting ChicagoWolves.com/Playoffs or Ticketmaster.com, calling Ticketmaster at 800-745-3000, or visiting the Allstate Arena box office or any other Ticketmaster outlet.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from April 14, 2019
- Heat Fall 3-2 on Fan Appreciation Night - Stockton Heat
- Condors Claim Top Spot in Western Conference with 3-2 Win - Bakersfield Condors
- Carter Verhaeghe, Alex Barre-Boulet Win AHL Scoring Races - Syracuse Crunch
- Syracuse's Carter Verhaeghe, Alex Barre-Boulet Win American Hockey League Scoring Races - AHL
- Wolves Open Calder Cup Playoffs against Grand Rapids - Chicago Wolves
- First-Round Schedules Announced for 2019 Calder Cup Playoffs - AHL
- Iowa Wild Announces First Round Playoff Schedule - Iowa Wild
- Admirals Face Iowa in Calder Cup Playoffs - Milwaukee Admirals
- Griffins, Wolves to Renew Rivalry in Central Division Semifinals - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Sifers Final Game Ends with a Shootout Win - Utica Comets
- Moose Close Season by Beating Chicago, 6-2 - Manitoba Moose
- IceHogs Announce 2018-19 Team Awards - Rockford IceHogs
- Wolf Pack End Season with 3-1 Setback to Hershey - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Wolves Wrap Regular Season - Chicago Wolves
- Crunch Edged by Comets, 4-3, in Shootout - Syracuse Crunch
- Bears Finish Regular Season on High Note, Win 3-1 - Hershey Bears
- Eddie Pasquale Wins AHL's Harry "Hap" Homes Memorial Award - Syracuse Crunch
- Syracuse's Eddie Pasquale Wins AHL's Harry "Hap" Holmes Memorial Award - AHL
- P-Bruins Fall 6-1 to T-Birds in Regular Season Finale - Providence Bruins
- Syracuse Crunch to Face Cleveland Monsters in North Division Semifinals - Syracuse Crunch
- Cleveland Monsters Clinch Playoff Berth - Cleveland Monsters
- Penguins Victorious in Season Finale, 5-2 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Monsters Clinch Playoff Berth with Commanding 5-1 Win over Marlies - Cleveland Monsters
- Tyler Wong Wins Dan Snyder Man of the Year Award - Chicago Wolves
- Amerks Close out Regular Season with 4-2 Win in Belleville, Tie Franchise Record for Road Wins - Rochester Americans
- Roadrunners Fall One Goal, One Point Short of Playoff Berth - Tucson Roadrunners
- Devils Lose Season Finale to Penguins, 5-2 - Binghamton Devils
- T-Birds Cap 2018-19 Season with Explosive 6-1 Win in Providence - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Sens Fall to Amerks in Regular Season Finale - Belleville Senators
- Heat Host Condors in Season Finale - Stockton Heat
- Tampa Bay Lightning Recall Defenseman Cameron Gaunce from Syracuse Crunch - Syracuse Crunch
- Marlies Close out Regular Season against Monsters - Toronto Marlies
- Game Preview: Wolf Pack at Bears, 5 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Capitals Recall Vitek Vanecek from Hershey, Re-Assign Ilya Samsonov - Hershey Bears
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators vs. Americans, April 14 - Belleville Senators
- Reign Closes Door on 2018-19 Season - Ontario Reign
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.